Dobinsons 2.5" Lift with MRR Shocks and VT Coils. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any pics of the Ironman drop brackets installed @residualboulders ? I looked at those as well - not great from a loss of clearance perspective, but likely effective on the caster correction solution. Have not seen many of these in the wild just yet.
I'll have to snap some pics when I get home. Drove the 55 today.

1979 fj40 | Monday rig.
1979 fj55 | Tuesday rig
1986 fj60 | Wednesday rig
1994 fzj80 | Thursday rig
Need a 100 for the Friday... just sayin..
2021 200 HE | Saturday & Sunday rig

Got me, only 40/80/100 here

@GW Nugget ha ha, that's about right except my 40 is dismantled right now and out of the rotation. After 20 years I figured it was time for some rust repair and overhaul. Just got my slightly modified 2F back from the rebuilt shop so excited about that.

I have to admit I've been keeping my eye out for a low mile 100. Haven't owned one of those yet.

Also, sorry @Trusty Rusty ended up working on restoring my 60 dash when I got home and forgot to snap pics of the 80 drop brackets.

I'd love to hear your driving impressions now that these have been on for a while 👍

@Trusty Rusty here you go. I actually ordered man-a-fre drop brackets first, but sent them back. I liked how the ironman bracket not only dropped, but pushed the arm forward to correct the geometry. From what I understand that is what Delta replacement arms are also doing. I was planning to order the Delta Radius arms. But, it seemed to me the only draw back on the drop brackets was the clearnace loss. I think that is only an issue for certain people. I offroad mine a lot, but the most technical trails around here don't include many huge boulders. I haven't drug them yet and I suspect when I do I'll figure out a way around the obstacle. But, I'm not the type to beat up a rig on the rocks. The ironman brackets are pretty stout though so I would think they would hold up really well if you did make contact.

IMG-0799.jpg

Last edited:
@Heckraiser so far I really like the suspension. I went from completely stock to 35" tires and about 4" of lift so it feels quite a bit different to drive. Suspension feels great and I would say similar to stock in comfort. Some power loss from the large tires though. I wondered if the custom Delta radius arms would be better, but with the drop brackets and the delta panhard drop the handling feels pretty well like stock. I would love to drive mine back to back with a stock 80 to compare just out of curiosity.

Soon after the install i met up with a friend that has a 1995 80 with OME medium suspension also with 35s. We drove both back to back. Mine is much smoother and plush of a ride, but it doesn't feel too soft. His was a bit jarring, which made me feel a little better about the significant price difference between the basic OME kit and what I got. But I still try not to think about the cost. I set my shocks at Dobinsons recommended settings and have not changed them yet because it just rides great. I suspect I may change them once I finally decide on a rear bumper and add more weight to the back. Overall I would do this suspension set up again. I am curious how the BP51 would be on an 80. That's what I have on my 200 and I've been very happy with it - but its also 25 years newer than the 80.

IMG-1715 (1).jpg

@Heckraiser so far I really like the suspension. I went from completely stock to 35" tires and about 4" of lift so it feels quite a bit different to drive. Suspension feels great and I would say similar to stock in comfort. Some power loss from the large tires though. I wondered if the custom Delta radius arms would be better, but with the drop brackets and the delta panhard drop the handling feels pretty well like stock. I would love to drive mine back to back with a stock 80 to compare just out of curiosity.

Soon after the install i met up with a friend that has a 1995 80 with OME medium suspension also with 35s. We drove both back to back. Mine is much smoother and plush of a ride, but it doesn't feel too soft. His was a bit jarring, which made me feel a little better about the significant price difference between the basic OME kit and what I got. But I still try not to think about the cost. I set my shocks at Dobinsons recommended settings and have not changed them yet because it just rides great. I suspect I may change them once I finally decide on a rear bumper and add more weight to the back. Overall I would do this suspension set up again. I am curious how the BP51 would be on an 80. That's what I have on my 200 and I've been very happy with it - but its also 25 years newer than the 80.

View attachment 3070380
I'd totally do a test drive exchange with you as I'm always curious how mine compares to others who say they have a well sorted lifted 80 on big/heavy rubber. I was on OME Nitrocharger shocks and I'd say it's transformed my ride upgrading to BP-51s. As you know, BP-51s are unique for their ride plushness (if you set it that way) esp coupled with OME medium springs.

How y'all deal with potential prop shaft angle issues lifted so high is a point of interest for me. I'm at about a 2-2.5" lift on 37s, caster at 4 degrees with all the other suspension bit trimmings to make it drive as straight, tight, vibe & noise free as possible.

Enjoy your new sus setup!

I'd totally do a test drive exchange with you as I'm always curious how mine compares to others who say they have a well sorted lifted 80 on big/heavy rubber. I was on OME Nitrocharger shocks and I'd say it's transformed my ride upgrading to BP-51s. As you know, BP-51s are unique for their ride plushness (if you set it that way) esp coupled with OME medium springs.

How y'all deal with potential prop shaft angle issues lifted so high is a point of interest for me. I'm at about a 2-2.5" lift on 37s, caster at 4 degrees with all the other suspension bit trimmings to make it drive as straight, tight, vibe & noise free as possible.

Enjoy your new sus setup!
Yeah if I'm ever in your part of the country in my 80 we'll have to take them for a spin. I'm not surprised to hear your experience with the BP51. I love it on my 200. I was going to do it on the 80, but thought I might try the Dobinson's just because Id heard good things. I was planning on 2.5 lift, ended up with more.

I don't not like the higher lift, but I do need to replace my driveshaft. There is some vibraton. It's not terrible, but I noticed it immediately after the lift install.

Did the suspension settle?
What are the center of hub to bottom of flare measurements?

@Trusty Rusty here you go. I actually ordered man-a-fre drop brackets first, but sent them back. I liked how the ironman bracket not only dropped, but pushed the arm forward to correct the geometry. From what I understand that is what Delta replacement arms are also doing. I was planning to order the Delta Radius arms. But, it seemed to me the only draw back on the drop brackets was the clearnace loss. I think that is only an issue for certain people. I offroad mine a lot, but the most technical trails around here don't include many huge boulders. I haven't drug them yet and I suspect when I do I'll figure out a way around the obstacle. But, I'm not the type to beat up a rig on the rocks. The ironman brackets are pretty stout though so I would think they would hold up really well if you did make contact.

View attachment 3070375

Thanks for the pic @residualboulders ! I'm kind of in the same camp - no extreme rock crawling, and the drops seem like a very solid option for the caster correction assuming you can live with the aesthetics (my OCD says NO!) and reduced clearance.

Have you gotten any post-lift alignment measurements with current caster angles after install? Kind of curious how much correction one can expect from these. Seems like some varying feedback out there on correction, but somewhere around 1*-1.5* per inch of lift? I'm on Dobs stock height coils with 30mm spacers and have never done any checks even for reference since the truck continues to drive great. Next move will be somewhere between 2.5"-4" of lift, so thinking through all of these items before pulling the trigger on anything.

Thanks for the pic @residualboulders ! I'm kind of in the same camp - no extreme rock crawling, and the drops seem like a very solid option for the caster correction assuming you can live with the aesthetics (my OCD says NO!) and reduced clearance.

Have you gotten any post-lift alignment measurements with current caster angles after install? Kind of curious how much correction one can expect from these. Seems like some varying feedback out there on correction, but somewhere around 1*-1.5* per inch of lift? I'm on Dobs stock height coils with 30mm spacers and have never done any checks even for reference since the truck continues to drive great. Next move will be somewhere between 2.5"-4" of lift, so thinking through all of these items before pulling the trigger on anything.
I wish i had the details. Shop that did my alignment didn't record details on my invoice. I asked them to ask the tech where it ended up and all they could tell me was that it was within stock spec.

I wish i had the details. Shop that did my alignment didn't record details on my invoice. I asked them to ask the tech where it ended up and all they could tell me was that it was within stock spec.
You Need a new alignment shop 🤷‍♂️

You Need a new alignment shop 🤷‍♂️
I agree with that. Very small town. Two options and neither specializes in anything in particular, ha ha. I did all the suspension work myself, took it to them to align. I think they guy that aligned it for me was at lunch so they just didn't have an answer. Keep meaning to have someone else check it, but when I'm 2 hrs away in the next town I'm usually in the 200, not the 80.

I agree with that. Very small town. Two options and neither specializes in anything in particular, ha ha. I did all the suspension work myself, took it to them to align. I think they guy that aligned it for me was at lunch so they just didn't have an answer. Keep meaning to have someone else check it, but when I'm 2 hrs away in the next town I'm usually in the 200, not the 80.

Seems like a pretty reasonable request to have them provide printouts of the readings...I have to beg for them even in Houston. :bang:

Otherwise standard answer: "Green good, red bad."

You have TWO options? Does it drive straight? Guess I'll have to head up your way when i get ready. Gotta love small towns lol

Yeah, @nuncaperdido smaller town than where you're at although yours isn't much larger as I remember, lol. My bro actually just told me about a third option. I didn't realize they had an alignment rack. So i feel like we have a ton of options now.

It drives straight, feels great, not wearing weird. I guess I just haven't wanted to pay for another alignment just to know if numbers back up that it drives straight and feels good. Maybe I should.

I was concerned about the asthetics as well, but I found I really only care when I'm under the 80, lol. With my stock running boards still on there you really don't notice them unless your down at their level.

I was concerned about the asthetics as well, but I found I really only care when I'm under the 80, lol. With my stock running boards still on there you really don't notice them unless your down at their level.
Are your rear upper and lower links stock? If you have adjustable links you can make the top links slightly longer and see if the driveline vibration goes away. If it doesn’t then it’s most likely the front driveshaft.

I live in a small town as well, only one tire shop.
Front end alignment comes with a Computer print out of before and after Specs. 🤷‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom