Do You Use the Original Jack? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a '92 that I am gradually getting roadworthy and it's time to deal with the tires. I went to drop the spare the other day and discovered that I have the OEM bottle jack, but no jack handle or extensions.

I don't like the idea of the little bottle jack with its contact surface that's about the size of a shirt button. I'm thinking of just carrying, and securely tying down, my floor jack. Does anyone else do this? I will still need to rig something to drop my spare, but once I do, I will secure it in the truck or better yet, on the roof.

Thoughts?

Bottle Jack Works Fine.
Get a Hobo Freight Aluminum one if you want to haul around.

You carrying 2 spare tires too? Dual Batteries?
Few Gallons of Antifreeze and water?
Extra Gas?

No on all the extras, at least for now. I will double up on some items when I head out to the desert this summer, especially water and gas.

That adapter looks good. I will still need to find a handle.

I have found the Toyota mechanical bottle jacks from any year/model to be super handy over the years. They are a great go-to for roadside and trailside repairs. Extra ones from parts rigs have found their way into my trailer/towing tool bag and most of my vehicles. There's not really anything that can fail on them.

I carry the original jack and use it but also have a hydraulic or two plus Hi lift. Assorted wood blocks are a must have item, just never know what kind of mess your going to get yourself into!

Last edited:
Factory jack benifits
► Being mechanical its unbelievable reliable
► Can change any tire you can fit on a 80
► Works in position
► Coupled with a Jack adapter makes it very safe to use on the trail

Factory jack benifits
► Works in position

Tomorrow is payday. I will order the jack adapter. Looks like a safe and simple solution.
Now: Anyone have a handle and extensions they would be willing to sell?

Tomorrow is payday. Just will order the jack adapter.
Now: Anyone have a handle and extensions they would be willing to sell?

Keep in mind several other Land Cruiser handles will also work. A look in the vehicle parting out ads in the classified should yield a handle at a low cost.

Thanks for the order:cool:

As others have said, the factory jacks are great. The best are from mid 70s FJ40 but they are all good. There is a great thread here on ih8mud about all the variations of jacks and handles.

People used to give these jacks away, but the word got out, and now they are kind of hard to find at a reasonable price. The mid 70s ones are great because they a beautiful cast steel, painted yellow, and are easily rebuildable if they get stiff. I try and keep 2 in each truck since they make decent portable jack stands.

And just for the record, I just ordered a @LandCruiserPhil axle adapter, to make a great Toyota item, even better.

Factory jack benifits
► Works in position

The fulfillment is ridiculously fast too. I think I ordered mine Monday and got it yesterday (Wednesday). Good lord.

It's not that I don't like Hi-Lift, but the thing is cumbersome and heavy. The bottle jack with the adapter is sweet.

As others have said, the factory jacks are great. The best are from mid 70s FJ40 but they are all good. There is a great thread here on ih8mud about all the variations of jacks and handles.

People used to give these jacks away, but the word got out, and now they are kind of hard to find at a reasonable price. The mid 70s ones are great because they a beautiful cast steel, painted yellow, and are easily rebuildable if they get stiff. I try and keep 2 in each truck since they make decent portable jack stands.

And just for the record, I just ordered a @LandCruiserPhil axle adapter, to make a great Toyota item, even better.

I panicked and just bought a spare for $32 on ebay Shipped.

The fulfillment is ridiculously fast too. I think I ordered mine Monday and got it yesterday (Wednesday). Good lord.

It's not that I don't like Hi-Lift, but the thing is cumbersome and heavy. The bottle jack with the adapter is sweet.

Thanks for the positive feedback:clap:

A Hi-Lift is most unsafe way to change a tire. If you are forced to use a Hi-Lift put a ratchet strap around the axle and frame to keep lifting to a minimum.

Just ordered the adapter too - nice to have an option in addition to the hi-lift for different situations. Thanks LandCruiserPhil!

Sure did. Nice information about the product, but no means for ordering.

pm sent

Checked Chrome, Safari, and Firefox all show payment button.:meh:

My IT department does not get out of bed until noon...or later:crybaby:

Last edited:
Sure did. Nice information about the product, but no means for ordering.
Hmm. In firefox I see an "Add to cart" button near the bottom of the page. Right after the description.

By the way, do you know what the parts look like that your looking for? The handle for the jack (and the tool to lower the tire) are in a plastic or cloth bag in the compartment where the jack is stored. It's several lengths of steel rod that fit together to make one long rod with a small semicircle hoop at one end. One last bit of steel fits over a square nub at an end of the (pieced together) steel rod at a right angle, to make a handle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom