Do you really like your H55? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’ll jump in here…

It’s an odd spot… my FJ62 feels so dialed right now with a buttery smooth 3FE, h55, tcase with gear updates from @cruisermatt , 4.11s, and tall skinny 33s… it’s definitely the best version of this Toyota drivetrain. Specifically 1000x better than the slushbox, power stealing automatic.

But if you want more power, and don’t want to shift down into 3rd and go 35 mph over mtn passes, an LS is the way to go.

I can’t make that change with this rig because it’s just super comfortable and responsive around town and I don’t have to go up long hills on the reg…

My h55f was okay. It wasnt a silver bullet or anything. I pulled it during my swap and went to an auto.

I preferred driving on my R151F in my firstgen 4runner to behonest and even the w56 if were talking toyota 5speeds. The benefit of the h55f is you can still get them new and drop them in. If i was swapping back to a manual it would be a Tremec TR4050

Last edited:
I’ll jump in here…

It’s an odd spot… my FJ62 feels so dialed right now with a buttery smooth 3FE, h55, tcase with gear updates from @cruisermatt , 4.11s, and tall skinny 33s… it’s definitely the best version of this Toyota drivetrain. Specifically 1000x better than the slushbox, power stealing automatic.

But if you want more power, and don’t want to shift down into 3rd and go 35 mph over mtn passes, an LS is the way to go.

I can’t make that change with this rig because it’s just super comfortable and responsive around town and I don’t have to go up long hills on the reg…
I love the look of the tall skinny 33s. I think that’s some thing I’m going to do next year for now I’m running the BFG 31.5s

A freshly tuned 2F, 4.10s and 33s with the H55F is the cat's meow. 14+ MPG and can cruise at 70mph.

J
Thank you. I will have a rebuilt 3FE soon with my stock gears from the FJ62. I’m thinking the H 55 will be even better than my H42

I completely forgot that I started this thread and I said I'd eventually update it, so here we are. I was tackling all this because I was in desperate need of a transfer rebuild. I was obviously planning on going nuclear on it and replacing everything with new but that's the exact opposite of what ended up doing. I bought a Terrain Tamer rebuild kit, new RMS, and new clutch kit, basically the bare minimum, and kept the old H42. It still does everything I need it to and, if the time comes that the H42 grenades, I'll go from there.

So if anybody out there needs to hear this in the future:

You don't have to upgrade and/or replace everything and beat yourself up about gear ratios, overdrive, underdrive, ad nauseum. Just fix the damn thing and get it back on the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom