Do you phase your shaft? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I keep my shafts in phase, but I never bother to mark the shafts, I just look at them before I put them in to check for phase.

I do insist that driveshaft shop keep the shaft in phase.

Recently I have been wondering if the balance of the shaft is affected depending on where you put the shaft in phase, since there are two possible "in phase" orientations of every d-shaft.

When they retubed it, my shop painted big white arrows on my shaft (yes, I phase my shaft every night) to keep it in balance. I think it does make a huge difference.

I've had all kinds of driveshaft problems these past two weeks. First my rear DS was to short due to the SOA and the PO not giving a crap. It eventually wore out the slip shaft. I bought another used front shaft for the rear to be cut down only to be told by the DS company that the slip shaft on it was shot. I ended up having to have a new one made with a new slipshaft and yoke. Cost me 260 plus the shaft I orignally bought.

It was well worth the lesson in how to do a DS right. I got to see them try to balance the DS with the bad yoke It was amazing seeing it wobble like that at 70mph on this huge machine. And to see the newly balanced one on the same machine.

When I installed it and drove it down the road it was amazing. Like driving a new vehicle. No vibration what so ever in the stick shift. All my vibration issues dissapeared.

Oh and it's always been in phase

Last edited:
bad vibration if it's non phased unless you have it rebalanced out of phase or it's perfect which many are not.

For Future Reference

An excerpt from the FSM for future searchers...
Drive-shaft-phasing1.jpg

Phasings very important, joint wont last long if it's out of phase. Only reason people get by any length of time at all is because Cruiser shafts are so short and stout.

"Only reason people get by any length of time at all is because Cruiser shafts are so short and stout."

Ya, hung like a tuna can.

The U-joints will be "In phase" even if they are rotated 180 degrees with respect to the ends so that the zerks are on opposite sides. It just makes them easier to grease if they are on the same side.

Pin_Head said:
The U-joints will be "In phase" even if they are rotated 180 degrees with respect to the ends so that the zerks are on opposite sides. It just makes them easier to grease if they are on the same side.

But couldn't this throw off balancing? If the shaft was balanced with the zerks lined up?

It might, but the zerks only weigh a few grams. It would still be in phase though.

Not quite my question Pablo.

I'm asking that if the shaft was balanced "properly" with the zerks lined up, and someone later on reinstalled the shaft "in phase" but misaligned the zerks, UNLIKE it was when balanced, would that throw off the balancing that was performed?

CruisinGA said:
Not quite my question Pablo.

I'm asking that if the shaft was balanced "properly" with the zerks lined up, and someone later on reinstalled the shaft "in phase" but misaligned the zerks, UNLIKE it was when balanced, would that throw off the balancing that was performed?

Yes - it would throw off the balancing.

Anytime you go to remove the shaft you should mark where everything fits together, so you can reinstall the same way...

PabloCruise said:
Yes - it would throw off the balancing.

Anytime you go to remove the shaft you should mark where everything fits together, so you can reinstall the same way...

I know that :doh:

Just curious for hypothetical situations.

Thanks! :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom