Do you need to dry the air for inflating your tires? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I think I already know the answer to this but wondering what everyone else thinks. Considering how much water accumulates in the compressor receiver, if you were to hook a compressor straight up to the tires all that water will accumulate in the tires instead. Not so much of a disaster in summer but in winter it could freeze, then you have unbalanced tires.

I don't have air lockers so the only need I'll have for a compressor is for airing up the tires and possibly for an air wand to blow things down for cleaning. I'd rather avoid giving up the space for installing a receiver, and for inflating the tires you can hook the compressor up directly but that means the water won't have a receiver to accumulate in before the tire so I guess I'll need to put in an inline air dryer. Or possibly just a little receiver with a stop cock on the bottom to separate out the water.

It’s never been something I’ve worried about. The real ticket is to fill your tires with nitrogen. The nitrogen pressure changes less with temperature differences and is less likely to permeate through the rubber. (Disclaimer. While true this is intended to be a sarcastic suggestion. If too late have no worry because nitrogen won’t cause any problems)

Last edited:
An air compressor pumping straight into a tire won't create water in the tire because the pressures involved aren't high enough to condense the water out of the air. It's no different than pumping it up with a manual bike air pump.

It’s never been something I’ve worried about. The real ticket is to fill your tires with nitrogen. The nitrogen pressure changes less with temperature differences and is less likely to permeate through the rubber.

Bogus. Air is already 80% nitrogen. Don't bother, it makes no difference.

Bogus. Air is already 80% nitrogen. Don't bother, it makes no difference.

It’s that 20% that’s not nitrogen that makes all the difference. its really more of a nicety for racing situations where tires generate a lot of heat and see big pressure differences in a short time. I can assure you it makes a difference...just not so much for your daily driver.

Nitrogen tire fills were sold by tires stores to make money with lots of convincing hype. For normal cars it's complete sales hype. Even for race cars, its of dubious value. Certainly for a Land Cruiser it makes no difference in any measurable way. If a different gas is so great, why not fill with Helium or Argon or Xenon? Maybe we should fill with cannabis smoke.

I suppose you could convince yourself with the ideal gas law or Boyle's law (I forget which) but any pressure differences by temperature, air vs 100% nitrogen are minuscule.

It's a total sales crap rip off of the motoring public. Keep your tires at the right pressure is the proper message. Air is perfect for this job.

And by the way, air is 80%ish Nitrogen already, the other 20%ish is Oxygen (Important for humans and ICE). There's 1% argon in there too.

Nitrogen tire fills were sold by tires stores to make money with lots of convincing hype. For normal cars it's complete sales hype. Even for race cars, its of dubious value. Certainly for a Land Cruiser it makes no difference in any measurable way. If a different gas is so great, why not fill with Helium or Argon or Xenon? Maybe we should fill with cannabis smoke.

I suppose you could convince yourself with the ideal gas law or Boyle's law (I forget which) but any pressure differences by temperature, air vs 100% nitrogen are minuscule.

It's a total sales crap rip off of the motoring public. Keep your tires at the right pressure is the proper message. Air is perfect for this job.

And by the way, air is 80%ish Nitrogen already, the other 20%ish is Oxygen (Important for humans and ICE). There's 1% argon in there too.

Nitrogen is just the easiest to get because I’ve heard it’s like in the air we breath already. Helium would just be silly because it’s a finite resource. Helium also has a much higher thermal conductivity than other gases but a low density. You would really want a low thermal conductivity and a high density for your alternative gas. Argon would certainly be worth a try given you can easily acquire it and it’s denser than nitrogen and lower thermal conductivity. Xenon would be even better with the exception of its cost and possibly sourcing. Sounds like you need to do some testing and get back to us.

having used nitrogen in rally tires and seen a very real difference in tire pressure change from cold at the beginning of a stage to toasty at the end vs air I’m comfortable in saying it makes a noticeable difference. I pointed it out in my first post mostly as an attempt at humor but I forgot the cardinal rule of Internet forums. Nothing can be funny on a forum.

I did also attempt to point out that that 20% but us the bit that does all the fun stuff when it heats up. And in a road tire application that could be a whole single psi of change. So not much point in worrying about it for your daily driver.

The real answer is that it’s really tricky to get the dry air out of your towel and back into the tire.

It’s that 20% that’s not nitrogen that makes all the difference. its really more of a nicety for racing situations where tires generate a lot of heat and see big pressure differences in a short time. I can assure you it makes a difference...just not so much for your daily driver.
You're both right in this case. Racing and aircraft tires (the plane takes off, BTW) will benefit, but DD and 4x4 tires there won't be any real noticeable difference.

My excavator friend has his tires on his Kubota front end loader/gannon rig filled two thirds with water antifreeze mx. Smooth as silk ride with no suspension. Ive done some grading on his tractor and I can honestly say that was the most comfortable and smooth riding , smooth steering 4 wheeled vehicle Ive ever driven. Caddilac should do so well. I know this comment has no real practical value as compared with transportation type vehicles, I thought it was interestng anyhow........

My excavator friend has his tires on his Kubota front end loader/gannon rig filled two thirds with water antifreeze mx. Smooth as silk ride with no suspension. Ive done some grading on his tractor and I can honestly say that was the most comfortable and smooth riding , smooth steering 4 wheeled vehicle Ive ever driven. Caddilac should do so well. I know this comment has no real practical value as compared with transportation type vehicles, I thought it was interestng anyhow........

ny kubota rear tires are filled with a salt mixture that they use these days. It’s great for weight bias and stability but I can’t say I’ve ever had the tractor past 15mph before.

Huh, I've heard of doing that but I'm honestly surprised it works so well in a low speed vehicle. Same principle as the Dynabeads I used to use in my old tires for balancing. I want to order some more so I can do my current tires, because they worked amazingly well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom