1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you measure gearlube and such?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by mabrodis, Aug 2, 2005.

1. mabrodis

mabrodis

So when you change diff gearlube or t/c gearlube do you actually measure the amount, or just fill it till it comes out. I have always just filled till the oil was coming out the fill hole. However, I was just thinking tonight that that is probably not the correct way to do it. But if not, then why is the fill-hole there, and how did they determine it needs exactly 1.9 quarts for example when filling it till it comes out the fill-hole is about 2.2 quarts or so (referring to the transaxle on our Echo)...

Just curious...

2. Stone

Stone Moderator

Actually, filling diffs, trannies and t-cases with gear lube until you can just feel it touch the bottom of the fill hole is the proper way of servicing those components (as far as I know). The only stipulation would be that your vehicle is on a level surface so that the level(amount) of the fluid inside the component is right.

3. cruiseroutfit

cruiseroutfit Supporting Vendor Moderator

Fill it til it comes out... :D, on axles that have been rotated, park them on a ramp or slope that counteracts the rotation... or just overfill and shove the plug back in :D

4. mabrodis

mabrodis

Cool, thanks guys...the Echo's enormous tranny/transaxle combo holds 1.9 quarts, or maybe 1.8, anyway, I put in 2 quarts exactly, it's close to full, but not pouring out yet...but then I remembered the front is up 3" on little ramps I made, and the fill is towards the front.

:cheers:

5. nuclearlemon

nuclearlemon not an addict Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    i fill em till it spills out.

on my soa rear, i welded the original bung and added one higher up...much higher since i run oil in the rear hubs also.