Do you have to have an oil cooler? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was talking with Ron Davis (to me, the King of Cool-ing) about this just yesterday. 2F is not a hi rpm motor. I have a Ramjet 350 and do not run a cooler. Never have, and all is good.

Just to reply on the heater hose. It connects to the little pipe on the lower radiator hose. The outlet on the water pump is for the oil cooler. Trucks without an oil cooler do not have that fitting on the water pump.

My ‘10/78 Federal spec does no have one, no issues here and I am in Arizona FWIW.

I don't think Toyota added oil coolers for fun. There was a reason. Probably the increase in normal driving speeds. Whether or not that reason is still valid with modern oils, I have no idea. Anyone done Blackstone tests to see how hard the 2F is on oil? If not for the oil, then for the additional engine cooling like Matt said?

My ‘10/78 Federal spec does no have one, no issues here and I am in Arizona FWIW.
That’s an interesting piece of data. And good to know. Is it US spec and are you mostly certain it came from the factory that way? My 3/79 does have the original cooler. Only 5 months apart off the line from yours. What’s also interesting is that Toyota assembly builds cars and trucks for different regions all at the same time, not in batches. IOW, an assembly worker might assemble one truck for the US market with all the emissions and such, next truck might be for the KSA, next one is JDM right hand drive, and so on. So they continued to build with AND without oil coolers side by side well into the ‘80s. You can tour the factory today and watch this happen with new vehicles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom