Do you have a DVR?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Trollhole, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Trollhole

Trollhole THC Supporting Vendor Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Just curious how many of us have one and what your thoughts are on them.

I've been a Tivo fan for 5 years now. Originally a beta tester for them. I switched to Motorolas MOXI i wanted a Hi-Def DVR to go with my HDTV and the only thing Tivo had was $999 though it has come down some. Charter cable gave me the box for 10 bucks a month and after this last update to it I really look at it being an apples to apples to Tivos box.

Do you have Landcruiser set as a keyword?

2. Metal Spice

Metal Spice

We have DirecTV with Tivo & we love it. We're so used to skipping all the commercials that when we're watching live TV & a commercial comes on, we automatically hit the FF button on the remote & it's like :doh: And since you can season pass shows we don't miss anything now - even when we're wheeling!

3. mj1015

mj1015

Never even seen any of this stuff.

In fact, no DVD player, wide scene TV or video games.

Didn't buy my first (very used) TV until I was about 33 or 34 years old.

4. informationjunky

informationjunky

Albums:
    Dish DVR....how many times have you tried to pause or rewind when your using someone elses tv? (hotel, etc). Sooooo easy to record show too.

5. willmaxr

willmaxr

haven't watched a commercial in 7 years (except the superbowl). Dish Network is my provider - they are ok. I think the TiVo versions try to be intuitive and record things they think you will like based on past recordings? Someone with a TiVo can probably confirm. The only complaint I have with my current recorder is that it records by time block, not title specific. So if I set up a weekly record for a 8:00 show and the network changes the line up, I get what ever is on at that time. Sucks. Anyway, recorders rock. No commercials rock. Having on demand 15 to 20 cartoons and shows without commercials for the kids is a huge plus.

6. Doc

Doc

Media:
    Albums:
    We've got the directv Tivo. It's EVIL. I find myself watching WAY too much TV now.

But it is nice to have for the tour de france.

7. tabraha

tabraha Hello My Name is: TAD SILVER Star

DirecTivo here as well. Whenever I plunk out the money for a flat panel HDTV I'll pick up an HD DirecTivo the same day.

They also quit making commercials a few years ago in my house :)

Sad story: Yesterday evening I was looking out my window while watching a tivo'd show and actually tried to rewind something I saw out of the window. Shortly thereafter I came to the conclusion I needed a nap if I was that confused. :doh:

Good tivo resources for those that don't already know:
    Tivo Community

Tivo Upgrades and Parts

8. davegonz

davegonz Keeping it Weird SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I have a ReplayTV and love it. It is hooked up to my network and I can watch recorded shows on any of my PC's in the house. It also has commercial advance...which makes it even better.

9. LoveTractor

LoveTractor

Media:
    Albums:
    My office computer running Windows Media Center Edition. Record 2 over-the-air HD broadcasts and 1 SD broadcasts at the same time while still being able to watch other stuff. My 2TB of space can record between 250 and 660 hours depending on whether it's HD or SD. But I do have all my music and movies on there too so it's really not as much.
    Why do I use it? Are you kidding? A monster DVR, a music jukebox, a movie jukebox, and a computer for surfing the internet and playing games on a 55in. TV just rocks. :D And through my network I can access it from anywhere in the house with Media Center Extenders and the "small" computers at other TVs. What do I win? :flipoff2:

10. flowman

flowman

Media:
    Albums:
    It's awesome....the best thing to happen to TV since ..... TV ;)

We skip all the commercials (and try to do it w/ live TV too), and the season pass and wish lists are amazing. I've seen Bogie movies I never even knew he made, (and some of them were worth watching). Got two feeds to ours, so we can record two shows and watch something else at the same time. And the best part is, we don't care when things come on, and don't hassle with tapes--it just sits there and scarfs up shows for us to watch whenever we feel like it. Amazing.

Finally, Free from the shackles of broadcast television!!!
    :beer:

11. Metal Spice

Metal Spice

Yes, Tivo will record what it thinks you might be interested in based on what you have it recording, but you can turn that off. We have things like South Park, Benny Hill, The Young Ones, Simpsons, Family Guy, The Adult Swim block on Sundays, some history channel stuff, etc. on season pass & before I turned Tivo automatic suggestions off, Tivo evidently thought we were black, British & 8 years old. It started recording black sitcoms, chidlren's cartoons & alot of british stuff. We'd have some really oddball stuff in there when I came home from work.

"Tivo thinks I'm gay!" - Spence on King of Queens.

12. soggy60

soggy60

Pioneer DVR / DVD burner and we have Tivo service with it...
    all connected to an RCA Sat receiver . . .

Toys,Toys, Toys

13. Biff

Biff

You forgot ReplayTV the ex rival of TIVO. Mine has been my close friend for years.

14. 3puttcop

3puttcop

TIVO
    Love it during football season.

15. msahr

msahr

Media:
    Albums:
    Dish Network DVR. LOVE IT... Should have gotten the 2-tuner unit though.

Thinking about building a fast PC (1-2GB RAM and 2 250GB Hard Drives, 3.x CPU) and XP Home Edition with 2 tuners. Than I can save the recording, burn to 2-layer DVD, and also plug in and download all the Mini-DV camcorder and Digicam stuff too.

Then I can dump the DVR and have it all. Oops need a bigger TV...

16. masscrusher

masscrusher

DVR offered as part of my digital cable service.

17. offroadkid

offroadkid

Albums:
    Before we had TiVo, we would ask our friends with it if they saw "that commercial..." They always replied, "We don't watch commercials anymore!!" Now, neither do we!

Do you know about the "30 second skip" feature? Instead of FF through commercials, you can enter a code in your remote sort of an easter egg which lets you press the ->l button for a 30 sec skip. Most commercials are 30 sec. So for how ever many commercials they are, you just press the button, and you're back to the show.

Try it! You have to be watching a recorded program in order to do this. While watching a recorded show, press:

SELECT, PLAY, SELECT, 3, 0, SELECT

After you enter this code, you will hear I think 3 dings from your TiVo, and you're set!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.