Do you have a BJ60 with factory AC? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
eurasiaoverland.com
Hi

Long time Toyota 4x4 fan and IH8MUD lurker here, currently living in Brunei.

I've just bought a beautiful BJ60 which is mostly in great shape: virtually rust free, dead straight. Never crashed or used off-road.

One thing that lets it down is the AC system. At some point the PO ripped out much of the factory AC hose work and replaced it with shop-made stuff :(

I'm contemplating trying to buy new OEM hoses but they are crazy expensive. Second option is to make new ones as close to factory as possible.

If you have a BJ60 with original factory AC I would be very grateful indeed to get some pictures of the piping in the engine bay, both high and low pressure sides, and the compressor head.

Many thanks,

EO

Perfect, I would be very grateful, particularly to see the compressor side pipes which are specific to the BJ. Also the valve orientation on the compressor head 🙂

I have an 85 3F 60 series with factory AC. RHD. Can take some shots in the morning

Ah wait, I read it again. 3F is a totally different engine so not what I'm looking for thanks.

Lots of 3B 60’s here in Canada, but I don’t believe any came with the factory AC. Sorry...

Well, here's some pics of my '87 HJ60. I know it's not exactly what you're after, but maybe it gives you a bit of information until someone can chime in with a 3B.

IMG_20200602_195412.jpg

IMG_20200602_195509.jpg

IMG_20200111_094832.jpg

Here are some excerpts from Partsouq. There are 3 schematics for AC cooler piping, but I'm not sure which applies to the 3B. Maybe you can figure it out from the parts you have on your truck. These are taken from a serial number for a 1984 truck.

ME9442C.png

MEF827B.png

MEH161A.png

Lots of 3B 60’s here in Canada, but I don’t believe any came with the factory AC. Sorry...

That's good to know... but means that my BJ must be one of a handful in the world with factory AC. I will take out an insurance policy on the AC compressor and idler brackets.

Here are some excerpts from Partsouq. There are 3 schematics for AC cooler piping, but I'm not sure which applies to the 3B. Maybe you can figure it out from the parts you have on your truck. These are taken from a serial number for a 1984 truck.

View attachment 2427831

View attachment 2427832

View attachment 2427833

Thanks very much. Your steering wheel is also on the wrong side (should have specified... my bad) so your AC will be very different.

I have been studying the part diagrams and have an idea about the system, but they show the hoses floating in space so it's not too clear.

Thankfully, several Australian models have the same high-side pipes as mine. I think I will have to be creative with the low side

Oh, and it goes without saying that your rig is a piece of art. Thanks for sharing!

I have a 85 Bj60 with factory AC, Canadian, left hand drive. I don't have any pics of the compressor setup but I can take some and post later. I actually need a new compressor as mine has finally gone belly up. Looking on ebay, the compressors that claim to fit the 3B diesel have mounts with holes facing fore and aft. My compressor has four mounting holes facing the engine block.

Run your vin through ToyoDiy.com and it will show you your factory AC, if it was originally fitted.

I have a 85 Bj60 with factory AC, Canadian, left hand drive. I don't have any pics of the compressor setup but I can take some and post later. I actually need a new compressor as mine has finally gone belly up. Looking on ebay, the compressors that claim to fit the 3B diesel have mounts with holes facing fore and aft. My compressor has four mounting holes facing the engine block.

Thanks.

Since posting this I made a few discoveries, mainly that my BJ60 did not come with factory AC and all the install was some crappy aftermarket stuff (with no pressure switch, no AC amplifier, no idle up...).

I've managed to get hold of pretty much everything to do a factory install. I've never managed to find a picture of a RHD BJ60 with factory AC, but I'll figure it out.

The earliest 60s had compressors with mounting ears and front-back bolts, the newer type (I think 84 was the switch-over) uses a Denso 10P15 which has the four long lateral bolts holding it to the bracket. I got a new compressor from Rockauto. As far as I see, the compressor is the same across many models, just the valve heads (which you will need to re-use) are different, but Toyota lists the compressor as an assembly with the valve heads, hence the multitude of part numbers for compressors.

I bought a Denso 471-0432 for my 1989 BJ60 (with the later 3Bii engine).

EO

Run your vin through ToyoDiy.com and it will show you your factory AC, if it was originally fitted.

Check my reply above yours. Already checked the part diagrams but the hoses are floating in space, they don't show the routing etc.

Did a 3b swap then added a turbo, lastly was a/c.... what exactly are you looking for I can help ya any which way you want

Did a 3b swap then added a turbo, lastly was a/c.... what exactly are you looking for I can help ya any which way you want
I'm looking for pictures of the routing of the low side hose on a factory AC install in a RHD BJ60.

best I can do is show you what I got, but no RHD

Thanks for the offer, but needs to be a factory RHD install.

Just wing it, the hoses can only run so many ways. They are molded lines

I've seen pictures of a RHD BJ70 on which the hose in question runs under the condenser, so I'll just do that.

I would still be interested in seeing a picture though, I'm also interested where the AC idle up VSV is bolted. The plug comes off the loom just next to the windscreen washer jar, so it's either bolted inverted to the inside of the wing (fender), or flat (the orientation suggested by the parts diagram) on the flitch panel (top of the wheel arch).

I've seen pictures of a RHD BJ70 on which the hose in question runs under the condenser, so I'll just do that.

I would still be interested in seeing a picture though, I'm also interested where the AC idle up VSV is bolted. The plug comes off the loom just next to the windscreen washer jar, so it's either bolted inverted to the inside of the wing (fender), or flat (the orientation suggested by the parts diagram) on the flitch panel (top of the wheel arch).

Had the step dad go look at it on lunch and it appears I used stock 2f fj60 lines, they bolted up to the 3b compressor and stayed in the stock LHD locations through the hole next to the headlight on the right hand side.

no high idle, it has not seemed to matter. The ac will freeze you out and the motor has not seemed to care at idle

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom