Do you guys think this would be a good mod.

This is a 1HD-T? 6cly. 4.2 turbo diesel. Good or bad mod? Better gas milage for sure. This motor is out of a 1994.FJ Ohh the price is $3K US plus 500 shipping from england. Is it worth it? Thanks Elton.
61_1_b.jpg

Last edited:
Is there anything wrong with your current motor? Can you install it yourself? Does that price include EVERYTHING you need to install it? Have you thought about replacement parts availability? Do you drive enough to justify the cost? Assuming you drive 25K a year, it would still take quite a while to make the swap cost effective. I would guess at least 2 years(or 50K miles) based on current gas/diesel prices here.

If your 1FZ-FE is dead and you are an excellent mechanic and you don't mind scrounging for parts that are not available in the normal US channels then it might be worthwhile.

If you think you'll break even any time soon with the slightly better MPG then you are sadly mistaken. At an avg of 12,000 miles per year and $3/gal it will take you 5 years to break even if you can do the swap for $6,000; closer to 10 years if it takes $10k for the swap. (Assumes 12mpg for the petrol and 20mpg for the diseasel.)

-B-

You still should have about 200k relatively trouble free miles on your FZJ80, no need to do that mod. Would love to have that under my hood, but it's just not practical or economic.

Sides everything else previously mentioned it would be stinky.

Houston, Texas for now - Romance, MO soon!
I've tried to justify a diesel swap and have not been able to do it. If my motor died in some catastrophic way, maybe.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Website
www.autohomeus.com
The 1HD-T is a very fine engine. I understand that it is not a difficult swap into an 80. The main PITA will be all the accessory systems, wiring, ECU, etc.

I looked long and hard at putting one of these in my 60, and abandoned the idea due to the estimated cost, parts availablity and registration issues. I bought a very nice FZJ80 for about the cost of the engine and swap.

If I needed an engine in the truck, and could register the result legally, I would do the swap in a heartbeat.

M

If your current motor is working, you'll never pay for this based on mileage. The only reason to do this is if you are a diesel freak. Like others mentioned, parts sourcing will be a challenge since this motor is not USDM.

rgsiii

SILVER Star
I have thought about the conversion and it does not seem to be a very economical endeavor. The cost estimates were $10,000 and up. Nobody has done many of them and I think there is a good possibility of problems.

Economically it might not be a good swap but a TD cruiser is about as close to a perfect off-roader as you can get.
It would depend on where you live, your driving style and how much you wheel. If you live in a city or need good acceleration keep the 1FZ. If you tow, are serious about wheeling or simply want something different to the rest of the sheep go for the 1HD-T.

It's not a whole lot of fun to be looking for parts that are not common to your locale.

I would probably do something of the sort only if I were building a purpose use vehicle that needed the characteristics of that motor. If only for fuel savings, considering the cost of labor in the U.S. plus the probable need of parts and the learning curve for an uncommon motor, and further adding the expected need for different wiring and tossing in the legal requirements.... I think I'd pass.

It IS an old motor and there are bound to be some things it would need, hopefully minor, but sometimes otherwise. I suppose you know the seller to be fair and honest. Still, he could also make a mistake or simply miss something.

Kalawang

Thanks for the advice all....i am not doing the diesel swap, not worth it...plus gas is cheap in the US compared to Europe at $6.45 per gallon give or take. And I hear the TD motor is underpowered.

I wouldn't say underpowered. Acceleration isn't quite as good as a petrol motor but they have a ton of torque hence my previous post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom