Do waxes really help protect your car's finish? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yes, this is a serious question. ;)

I know the Walmart shelves are packed with all sorts of different waxes, polymers, etc. that you apply to the paint of your car. I would just think, given modern technology, that car paints today have a great deal of protectant in them already? Is the world of waxes and other coatings a bunch of marketing?

My son will be taking his black 4Runner to college in the fall, and it will be exposed to all of the natural elements, as well as some likely unnatural ones (sprinkler spray). Would some coat of something on his truck help repel these things?

Without a doubt. Wax (or whatever chemical in a can they're selling) is like a sacrificial clearcoat. The sun (especially where you live) will beat the hell out of anything including the most modern paints there are. It might as well beat up on a coat of wax instead.

Additionally - you may not get a lot of bugs. But here at certain times in certain places the front of the vehicle can be plastered with them in a single day. The wax makes it so much easier to get off bugs, bird poop, the neighbor kids eggs, etc. When you do wash it the dirt/dust that is inevitably there will scratch the wax instead of paint.

Finally there is a trick that gets played on apprentice carpenters. Take their smooth face (trim) hammer and put a good coat of car wax on the face of it. Then stand back and watch them try to drive a trim nail. The hammer will glance off every time. So wax even helps a stone thrown up slide off rather than scratch or chip.

The problem is most people simply cannot be bothered to properly wax a vehicle like we used to do. The option you can buy at the automatic car wash is a joke - worthless. It's hard these days but I try to find the time a couple times a year to wash and hand wax the car in the driveway. Enjoy nice weather, listen to the radio, drink beer, wax.

Great info Prairie! So would it be sufficient to have his car professionally waxed a couple of times a year? More frequent than that might be unrealistic.

Yep - especially in black (as I recall.) Have them recommend the best "wax" they are aware of. The cost of the wax isn't much compared to labor. The sun will be your enemy there - so I would say once in the spring and fall.

This investment will pay for itself if he ever does sell. The truck will look so much better. I was looking for a pic of my original owner 1990 Mustang with original paint but I don't have it here. I used to wax like crazy as a younger man when I had time and it has paid off.

One other thing: Being away from home and in a dorm, automatic car washes are in his future. In that case, is it even worth it to apply a wax, if the wash is going to take it all of after a couple of times?

optimum car wax, is spray on, includes uv protection. Then again, I gave some to my son, and to my son in law - neither one has used it. Could it be that waxing starts at age 50?

Wax is Dead ! True Paint Protection comes from Nano Ceramic Coatings. I have been a professional detailer for 26 yrs. I've done just about every make and model of car for 7,000 plus cars over that time. Have worked for literal billionaires and done many museum pieces and lots of exotics, etc. Prepped show winners at Pebble beach, etc.

Ceramic Pro is the largest Nano Ceramic coating company in the world. We're in 70 countries... We have coating that protect any substrate , but started with automobiles. check out the website and see what TRUE paint protection is !Ceramic Pro Coatings last from Lifetime protection, 5 yrs protection, 2 yr and 1 yr... the differences are the amount of 9H layers on the vehicle. 9H is the strongest coating made and only Ceramic Pro has the certified measurement of 9H !...

Home - Ceramic Pro

blue%20bentley%202nd%20time_zpsitd4ymay.jpg

red%20gt%20carrera_zpssfxa0r5f.jpg

matts%20F12%203_zpsgk5acfr1.jpg

1971Ferrari365_zpsf0d11b74.jpg

BentleyW122ndtimedetailed005_zps6e992768.jpg

PhantomandTestarossa020_zps488b6f03.jpg

008_zpsb65e8e9f.jpg

1of1%20Bentley_zpsmcol85w6.jpg

All of these cars were coated in Ceramic Pro ! I've got thousands of pics of the cars I've done , here is just a few...

Check out Ceramic Pro and discover what REAL Protection is !!!

Last edited:
What prep is need if you have to touch up the paint after this product is used?

paint would need be touched up before , as far as getting chips/ scratches afterwards ... it's a thing of the past, but in the rare case, abrasion will remove the coating,then touch it up then recoat. although no chemical can ... you can pour acid on it or light it on fire and it won't affect the coating.

Check out McKee's 37 Paint Coating. It can provide up to 2 years of protection.

Wax is Dead ! True Paint Protection comes from Nano Ceramic Coatings. I have been a professional detailer for 26 yrs. I've done just about every make and model of car for 7,000 plus cars over that time. Have worked for literal billionaires and done many museum pieces and lots of exotics, etc. Prepped show winners at Pebble beach, etc.

Ceramic Pro is the largest Nano Ceramic coating company in the world. We're in 70 countries... We have coating that protect any substrate , but started with automobiles. check out the website and see what TRUE paint protection is !Ceramic Pro Coatings last from Lifetime protection, 5 yrs protection, 2 yr and 1 yr... the differences are the amount of 9H layers on the vehicle. 9H is the strongest coating made and only Ceramic Pro has the certified measurement of 9H !...

Home - Ceramic Pro

blue%20bentley%202nd%20time_zpsitd4ymay.jpg

red%20gt%20carrera_zpssfxa0r5f.jpg

matts%20F12%203_zpsgk5acfr1.jpg

1971Ferrari365_zpsf0d11b74.jpg

BentleyW122ndtimedetailed005_zps6e992768.jpg

PhantomandTestarossa020_zps488b6f03.jpg

008_zpsb65e8e9f.jpg

1of1%20Bentley_zpsmcol85w6.jpg

All of these cars were coated in Ceramic Pro ! I've got thousands of pics of the cars I've done , here is just a few...

Check out Ceramic Pro and discover what REAL Protection is !!!

So how do I apply it to my rig?

So how do I apply it to my rig?

Because this isn't just a wipe on like wax, it has to be installed by a Ceramic Pro Certified Installer. We also won't coat over scratches, etc. so paint correction is a must , which all the installers know what to do. We are in 70 countries, so rest assured there's an installer near you ! Go to CeramicPro.com and click the free quote link, they'll ask make, model , yr, zipcode, etc. and you'll get called and you can set up an installation. Know that it can be 1 coat, 2 coats, 5 coats, 10 coats and then custom coats. We can coat any substrate, and we have coatings for everything... anyway ... go to Home - Ceramic Pro and request your quote !

Looks pretty cool and I found a certified installer in my area so I am going to give them a call on this.

Thats Great !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom