Do Trim Packers Affect Alignment?

I new to get an alignment, but I am also thinking I might add some 20mm spacers to the top of my front springs at some point. If I have it aligned now (before installing the 20mm trim packers, simply poly spacers), will I have to have it aligned again after I put the packers in? I wouldn't think so, as I plan to put a 20mm on top of each front spring.

What say you?

baldilocks

Battle Ground, WA
GOLD Star
20mm is less than an inch and rather insignificant unless your a suspension snob. You might do a before and after check for toe and castor simply out of curiosity. 20mm of lift might cause a loss of one degree of castor and a very slight increased toe in.

If your castor reading was at the 2* minimum spec and then you install the spacer your castor reading will be below Toyota’s lower spec of 2*. If you notice an undesirable change in handling then it’s time to act. Chances are that you won’t notice a difference in handling post spacer install.

zonker

SILVER Star
Website
www.willenosphotography.com
Yep.. Baldilocks is absolutely correct on all counts. I had good caster with just my OME 2.5” springs and TJM bushings. Then I added 30mm spacers. Was thinking that it might push the caster over the edge. I was correct. 20mm would be borderline. Maybe yes.. maybe no.

Last edited:
Agreed with the posts above.
Every inch of lift changes caster by almost 2 degrees (1.7⁰)
If caster is already marginal, you might end up with a squirrelly handling truck.

The only thing a typical alignment shop is likely to change on an 80 is toe in/out.
The rest is not adjustable

Feldrian

Full of opinions and expensive ideas
SILVER Star
Agreed with the posts above.
Every inch of lift changes caster by almost 2 degrees (1.7⁰)
If caster is already marginal, you might end up with a squirrelly handling truck.

The only thing a typical alignment shop is likely to change on an 80 is toe in/out.
The rest is not adjustable
Thrust angle can be adjusted as well if you have adjustable rear links. Agreed that a shop isn't likely to adjust thrust angle though - Unless you specifically request (and pay for) it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom