Do Toyota dealerships have a policy only allowing use of oem parts? Insurance; catalytic converter theft woes. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What I want to know, is there a umbrella policy for Toyota dealerships only allowing them to install OEM parts for repair jobs on Toyota vehicles?

The other day someone crawled underneath my 1997 FZJ80 and sawed off the catalytic converters. Apparently scumbag thieves sell them for scrap metal, they gotta get their meth money somehow.

I've already talked to the insurance agent, they basically told me they don't want to pay for the oem parts and want to use aftermarket. I said that is unacceptable because I don't want to have something substandard installed on my vehicle and I am owed a replacement that is as good as what I previously had and only Toyota oem has a proven track record.

Where I live I have the legal right to pick the shop that does the repairs, so if I have to use a shop and can't do it myself I am going to use the local Toyota dealership. On Monday I am planning to talk to the service manager of the local Toyota dealership about this matter. Before I do that I figured I would ask here, maybe somebody knows as it would be nice to have an answer so I don't worry about this any more.

A Toyota dealership in San Jose California installed an aftermarket water pump in my FJ80 some years ago because they couldn't get an OEM quickly. Can't remember what they did about warrantee but it worked fine for many years.

no they can install anything that the customer approves within reason. with that being said just because they can install aftermarket parts dosnt mean that they will, if we installed aftermarket parts we would warrantee the labor but usually not the parts

A little off subject, but that just happened to a family friend with their Sequoia just a day or two ago in the North Phoenix area. Exhaust shop told them that was the 5th time this week.. I guess metal prices are up..:confused:

I worked for different dealerships for 22 years before i went to fleet, I have installed non factory parts so many times on customers car as long the customer is informed or given the option but for the most part OEM parts are always use. In regards to your Cat converters and insurance dictating the fact that they will not replaced it with OEM part is just wrong but i don't know what state you are in and who is your insurance carrier, my 93 Toy pick up had it's Cat stolen twice and just like you i took it to the dealer and get an estimate to replaced it and my insurance did not have a problem paying the bill.

Check and see if the dealership is a direct repair facility for your insurance company. If so, they agree to use aftermarket parts and other shortcuts in order to be a direct repair facility. In return the insurance companies will direct people to them and allow them to write estimates for the insurance company as long as it follows the insurance companies rules. You also most likely signed away some of your rights to toyota parts in the fine print of your insurance policy. If your truck is a late model truck( 1 or 2 years low miles) then you can get the bodyshop to try and argue for factory parts. You will also need to see if they are suggesting used parts. Last month I had an insurance company (they use KC and Green Bay quarterbacks in there ads) give me an estimate with a used $25 headlight from over 1000 miles way on a 1 year old car. Needless to say we refused to use it. Shipping was going to put the price above cost of new.

Had a dealer install Chinese AC parts in my rig. I don't think they have any requirement to use OEM parts.

Edit, call your insurance company. I have USAA and they would not pay for an OEM windshield but they would pay for the difference between OEM and aftermarket.

Last edited:
It's most likely a case by case basis depending on the part. I'd call and talk to your local dealer and ask directly. I've worked in dealers for the last 15 years (not Toyota) and have installed plenty of used and non OEM parts.

a little off topic, but if the insurance won’t cover the Toyota cats, I might consider doing it without insurances help. A few magnaflow cats and some labor might be cheaper than your deductible.

FWIW, I’m scrapping my Toyota cats because they’re now leaky. A magnaflow high flow cat went in and it is doing the job apparently. I’m a stickler for OEM parts but this is one area I couldn’t justify it.

The insurance company usually just cuts the check for parts and labor estimate to the owner of the vehicle. As long as there is no lien on the vehicle. You can do whatever you want with the money.

With them being cut, won't you need new piping as well?

For what it's worth, I've read of many people not able to line up aftermarket cats to their OEM exhaust. Despite dimensional callouts from the cat manufacturer, the holes were not properly sized. Seems like the days of easily using a Magnaflow cat are gone. For a proper fit, you may be locked into OEM.

For a proper repair you'll need the front cat (50 state approved) along
with the Y pipe and the rear cat, and then the muffler if the attached pipe was also cut. The first insurance person who offer an estimate won't know
how our exhaust system goes together, they'll just give you a value based
on two generic Cats, not necessarily 50 state approved parts.

IMO/IME, the OP needs to get a full repair estimate in writing from a Toyota dealership. It should include the OEM Y-pipe/cat, the second Cat, and then an OEM muffler if the attached pipe in front of the muffler was cut when the cats were stolen. Then add the required number of OEM exhaust hangers, the correct OEM nuts and bolts, flange gaskets, and labor to install the new parts.

Ballpark estimate from a Dealership (including muffler if the pipe was cut) would be somewhere around $3500 plus labor, and that's why the insurance company will try to offer the OP generic replacement prices:

People still steal cats?

I thought the palladium market crash when they found a substitute killed that theiving business, plus having to show provenance for a cat (locally).

I replaced mine with a single Magnaflow offset (forget the PN#) - no issues.

Update, the insurance company did the right thing and cut me a check that will cover the OEM parts. I wanted to do the work myself, and now I can so the part shopping begins. I had lined up a Toyota dealer that is not a preferred shop and they were willing to help me fight to get the OEM parts but that won't be necessary now.

Thanks to all who replied.

Update, the insurance company did the right thing and cut me a check that will cover the OEM parts. I wanted to do the work myself, and now I can so the part shopping begins. I had lined up a Toyota dealer that is not a preferred shop and they were willing to help me fight to get the OEM parts but that won't be necessary now.

Thanks to all who replied.
Hey @TwoLaneBlackTop my situation sounds super similar to yours. I own the vehicle outright and carry comprehensive insurance. What did you have to do to get the insurance to cut you a check for the OEM parts and dealership repair costs? Both of my catalytic converters were stolen from my parking garage this last week.

Get an estimate from your local Toyota Dealer Service Dept using OEM parts (with the labor to install) and send that estimate to the person handling your claim. A local insurance adjuster for your insurance company can themselves contact the Toyota dealer and work it that way, IME. The Insurance companies often low-ball the payout first time around. I would also tyy to get coverage for a rental vehicle also until it's fixed as you can't drive it as is.

Get an estimate from your local Toyota Dealer Service Dept using OEM parts (with the labor to install) and send that estimate to the person handling your claim. A local insurance adjuster for your insurance company can themselves contact the Toyota dealer and work it that way, IME. The Insurance companies often low-ball the payout first time around. I would also tyy to get coverage for a rental vehicle also until it's fixed as you can't drive it as is.
Thanks @Kernal for the advice! I’m getting the estimate from the dealership right and I have started the claim. 🤞

FWIW for future readers, it is typically illegal in California to install a non-OEM cat due to emissions laws in this state. Very limited (if any) aftermarket for CARB approved third party emissions equipment.

If your insurance gives you flak about it and you're in California, just tell them it's the law. Only mention it because another posted was a tech working in California who had his own Toyota cats replaced under insurance and didn't mention this. In other states they may push back harder.

Magniflow CARB compliance cali approved cats are legal in California....

However, make sure the dealership will be using TOYOTA parts. Most dealerships still use aftermarket parts, particularly in an insurance situation.

A full Toyota system parts only is pushing $3500 + labor of probably $1200 labor. The cats are the most expensive parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom