Do torsion bars get "tired" after 20 years? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Rear springs lose its spring stiffness over time, wondering if torsion bars also lose its spring force. Maybe torsion bars are different since you can tighten them up?

Has anyone replaced OEM torsion bars with the same OEM torsion bars?

You can tighten them up or re-index only so much before you can’t go any further. I don’t think torsion bars wear out or go bad per se, but they do fatigue, sometimes to the point of breaking.

If you don’t have a steel front bumper and/or winch, then replacing with new OEM torsion bars would be great. If you have or plan on having steel bumper/winch, then consider aftermarket torsion bars from OME, Ironman, etc., which are rated for extra weight.

You can tighten them up or re-index only so much before you can’t go any further. I don’t think torsion bars wear out or go bad per se, but they do fatigue, sometimes to the point of breaking.

If you don’t have a steel front bumper and/or winch, then replacing with new OEM torsion bars would be great. If you have or plan on having steel bumper/winch, then consider aftermarket torsion bars from OME, Ironman, etc., which are rated for extra weight.
Sound advice - listen to it!
I on the other hand bought used OEM torsion bars (not aftermarket beefier kind). I run a heavy ass ARB bullbar, a winch and at least front aftermarket skid plate. I re-indexed them and raised my truck about 2" in the front. It still holds the truck up fine but I get a lot of bounce from the front especially at slower speeds. I have often wondered if a beefier set of TBs would alleviate that.

Maybe this is my resolution... tighten the bars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom