do these wheels suck? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jblueridge

SILVER Star
Threads
I want to get a set of 16x7 steel wheels and then fit a set of 255/85R16 tires.
I don't do any serious off-road wheeling but I do seem to have a knack for getting the truck in bad situations.
Are these wheels fairly tough? Is there a Toyota option I can afford?

Pacer soft 8

1583788971187.png

steelys are good for the fact you can carry a hammer around with you in case your wife uturns over a big shopping centre concrete bollard and wastes the outerlip, take out nice big soft hammer,reshape outerlip,hey presto just like new
only thing I found with steelys is the balance of them sucks, with my factory 15" prado rims I never had to balance the wheels after fitting tyres(my bothers got a tyre machine,so handy)
Also 16"are good here in NZ for tyres,everyone with late model hilux,mitsi,navara etc all get rid of their 16"factory rims for some awful 19" wheels, makes picking up 16"tyres near new for really cheap and just scrap the alloys for beer money

Yes OEM Toyota wheels go well with a 255.

IMG_4973.JPG

426106007203 Maybe @Onur or somebody else can verify this number?

Cheers

Zero offset on those?

If youd entertain alloys, the FJC 16's are 7" wide. Work really well with 255s

If needing steel wheels, most of the Tacoma ones would probably work as well. Easy to come by.

SuQAfZpl.jpg

I thought the Tacoma wheels had a different back spacing/offset.
I don't want to use spacers if I can avoid it.

Taco/FJC/Sequoia/Tundra rims will all need spacers.

PN I posted will be a direct fit with no spacers.

Few options for 7x for direct fit with no spacers.

Summit: 12-670604 will be direct fit with no spacers either. As will FJ40 steel rims (42601-60072) or used 60/62 rims.

Last edited:
Not all Tacoma wheels will work, not sure if any of them will.

Stock 6 lug 7x Series wheels have a backspace of 3.5 inches. This should NOT be confused with offset. Offset is a moving target that refers to the relationship of the wheel mounting surface and the flange-to-flange width.

Backspacing of greater than 3.5 inches (such as Tacoma/FJ Cruiser wheels) is not "correct" but will often clear the tie rod ends where a 15 inch wheel will not. However the tires may contact parts of the suspension or body when turning or articulating. The deeper backspace/positive offset also makes an already narrow track even narrower.

My view, YMMV.

I want to get a set of 16x7 steel wheels and then fit a set of 255/85R16 tires.
I don't do any serious off-road wheeling but I do seem to have a knack for getting the truck in bad situations.
Are these wheels fairly tough? Is there a Toyota option I can afford?

Pacer soft 8

View attachment 2234163

Here is what they say about this wheel:

Wheel Offset: 0MM

Product Brand: Pacer

Wheel Width: 7

Color: Non Chrome Wheels

Wheel Size: 16

Wheel Bolt Pattern: 6x5.5 (6x139.7)

Accessory Type: Wheels

Note the backspace is not disclosed. In this case the wheel is 7 inches wide, which is a bead-to-bead measurement. The flange-to-flange measurement adds one inch, making it 8 inches wide overall. It has an offset of "0" therefore the backspace is 4 inches, which is further inset than stock by 1/2 inch. Couple that with a wide tire and you can rub.

NOTE, additional info added:

A wheel of these dimensions would need a negative offset of 12-13mm to have the "correct" backspace for this application.

Last edited:
Stock 6 lug 7x Series wheels have a backspace of 3.5 inches. This should NOT be confused with offset. Offset is a moving target that refers to the relationship of the wheel mounting surface and the flange-to-flange width.

I think that anything between 3.5 and 3.75 BS is perfect. 4" is pushing it. (Without spacers) Keep in mind I am a tall and skinny tire kind of guy too.

Anything greater than 4" is no bueno IMHO and that includes every current gen Taco wheel. Does anyone here even run Taco wheels on a 70 series without spacers?

I think that anything between 3.5 and 3.75 BS is perfect. 4" is pushing it. (Without spacers)

Anything greater than 4" is no bueno and that includes every current gen Taco wheel. Does anyone here even run Taco wheels on a 70 series without spacers?

In my case (BJ74) the previous owner had fitted 16x8 wheels with 3.625 backspace and 285/75/16 tires. The rear tire inner sidewalls brushed against the inner wheel housings heavily in articulation. My current net backspace of 3 inches with the exact same tires does not touch the wheel housings at all.

In my case (BJ74) the previous owner had fitted 16x8 wheels with 3.625 backspace and 285/75/16 tires. The rear tire inner sidewalls brushed against the inner wheel housings heavily in articulation. My current net backspace of 3 inches with the exact same tires does not touch the wheel housings at all.

Was the suspension stock at the time that they rubbed?

Summit: 12-670604 will be direct fit with no spacers either. As will FJ40 steel rims (42601-60072) or used 60/62 rims.

Are the FJ40 and 60 series wheels 16"?

Note the backspace is not disclosed. In this case the wheel is 7 inches wide, which is a bead-to-bead measurement. The flange-to-flange measurement adds one inch, making it 8 inches wide overall. It has an offset of "0" therefore the backspace is 4 inches, which is further inset than stock by 1/2 inch. Couple that with a wide tire and you can rub.
I want 255/85 tires, so less chance of rubbing I guess.

Are the FJ40 and 60 series wheels 16"?

I want 255/85 tires, so less chance of rubbing I guess.

No. 15”s for the US market.

These are available in 16” but most people don’t want to pay for custom wheels.

These are available in 16” but most people don’t want to pay for custom wheels.

Yeah, those custom wheels are too expensive for me right now.

I've got the slightly larger 4runner brake calipers on my BJ74. I think I should stay with 16" wheels.

Sooooo I guess I will choose from either the Toyota rims Onur posted (42601-60262-03 ) or the cheap steel Soft 8's that all seem to be made in one giant factory overseas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom