do these ball-type siphons work well? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For a siphon to work properly, you will need to shake the valve until fluid reaches the end of the hose in the empty can on the ground. The end of the hose must remain below the fuel tank on the vehicle.

-B-

You have to keep shaking it to force the fuel beyond the high point and down the "drain" side of the hose until it is lower than the fuel in the tank. And you need to have a good solid column of fuel in the tube, without lots ofair bubbles mixed in. Then it will siphon.

Mark...

I just got back from a two week solo trip through the Nevada desert, and I used my SuperSiphon several times to refill my rig from those roof-mounted cans ( see pics in the "100 series pictures" thread)...

Not a drop spilled, and four 20L cans were nearly emptied in only 10 min or so..without having to lug all that weight off/on my roof :D

Greatest thing since sliced bread man !! :cheers:

I have one siphon for fuel ( with the extension) and one for moving water.

The ONLY downside per say, is that you need a fair amount of liquid in the jerry can/container, or it will not be able to initiate the siphoning effect, and there is always a little bit of fuel left in the can that remains , but IMO it is WELL worth the money and ( the lack of) refueling effort for those running spare jerrys on their roofs` :beer:

well, I got one from HF.
Chose the 3/4", I thought it would go faster. Maybe that was a mistake.
Sorta works. One time I got a can to empty nicely from the roof rack all at once, it took like a minute or so, huge flow rate. But several other times I just couldn't get the flow started properly, especially if the can was not full. Was shaking that thing a storm and nothing. Must depend how the ball end is positioned.
Might have been better to get a smaller hose one.
Or maybe just not good design?

The larger the diameter of the hose the harder it is to keep a good solid column of fluid in the hose. Once you have moved enough fluid that the bottom end sits covered in fluid preventing air bubbles from traveling up the hose you are golden.

The fluid has to go the full length of the hose so that the fluid below the source-tank level can "pull" the rest behind it.

I did put a clamp on the bottom end. And of course if it's open too much there is a good chance of air coming up from the bottom, which ruins the vaccuum. I think I'll put a valve and a smaller hose on the lower end. That should give me better control.

I just got back from a two week solo trip through the Nevada desert, and I used my SuperSiphon several times to refill my rig from those roof-mounted cans

I was planning on siphoning from the cans mounted on my rear bumper. It "looks" like it would work, meaning it will be a downhill flow for the fuel but has anyone siphoned from here? How difficult is it to create the vacuum. Thanks

I was planning on siphoning from the cans mounted on my rear bumper. It "looks" like it would work, meaning it will be a downhill flow for the fuel but has anyone siphoned from here? How difficult is it to create the vacuum. Thanks

as long as one end is lower than the other it can work in principle (unless you go so high that you have boiling but that's a different story). Of course, the larger the difference, the higher the flow rate. I imagine you'd want to have a "low" half loop, fill it up first and then get it going. The tube has to be filled across where the gas goes out or it will stop.

I have my can's mounted on my rear bumper and siphoning works just fine. Although my mount may be higher than yours. Check my sig line for link to pic's.

No one has mentioned it yet, but the siphon hoses are too short for most of our uses. There is an extension hose available that makes siphoning from the roof or even fron the bumper much easier. I think the hoses work great and are much less messy then even a good spout. They do seem to leave 1/2 gallon or so of fuel in the bottom of the can when the siphon stops working.

I've seen it on the expedition exchange website for about $5.

You can pick up a section of tubbing at any hardware and most department stores and just switch out the tube that comes with the siphon. Or put a coupler in and add it to the existing hose. In fact I would plan on doing this. Especially if your using it in 55 gllon drums like I am. ;)

Mark...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom