Do owners usually remove the rear optional floor mat and seat belts when installing a rear cabinet unit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OwnerCS

GOLD Star
Threads
I'm getting ready to install a rear Dobinson's drawer unit with wings.

Should I remove the rear seat belts? I just see them as being in the way. Also, do owners also remove any optional Lexus floor mat in the rear area and set the drawer unit down on just the original carpeting?

I built my own platform/drawers, removed the carpet trunk mat since it made it a little less steady. I left the seatbelts in and they definitely get in the way a bit but it’s not too bad. So far I haven’t felt like it’s worth the trouble to remove them.

Remove the seatbelts. While they were never in my way, they would always bang/clang/rattle even when tucked away. It drove me nuts.

I didn't like the empty holes in the rear trim with the seatbelts removed, so I added some more cargo lighting. Used LED trailer clearance lights. The perfect amount of light.
1596642893542.png

1596642925742.png

I also repurposed the old seatbelt mounts at the floor for additional tie down points using racing seatbelt mounts.
1596643266718.png
1596643286945.png

Remove the seatbelts. While they were never in my way, they would always bang/clang/rattle even when tucked away. It drove me nuts.

I didn't like the empty holes in the rear trim with the seatbelts removed, so I added some more cargo lighting. Used LED trailer clearance lights. The perfect amount of light.
View attachment 2394381
View attachment 2394382

I also repurposed the old seatbelt mounts at the floor for additional tie down points using racing seatbelt mounts.
View attachment 2394386 View attachment 2394387
Clever! Thank you.

View attachment 2394381
View attachment 2394382

Aww dang. All things I need to do after removing seatbelts and adding drawers. Thanks for the pics!

I removed the belts, and all the little plastic surrounds around the rear seat anchors so that the floor was more flat for my drawers.

I have a cheapo cut to fit WeatherTech trunk mat that I have under the drawers instead of the fuzzy carpet

View attachment 2394381
View attachment 2394382

that looks perfect!! thank you for that! do you have a link to the lights you used by chance? Great alternative and additional hook points a bonus for sure!

that looks perfect!! thank you for that! do you have a link to the lights you used by chance? Great alternative and additional hook points a bonus for sure!
Amazon product ASIN B07DJ58NQFPretty much all clearance lights are for a 3/4" hole. The holes in the the LC pillar are just a little bigger, so I wrapped a few layers of 3M electrical tape on the backside of the light so they fit into the hole snug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom