Do my leaf springs look shot and what’s this oil leak? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alright ...it’s been a real challenge trying to get my 40 road worthy. From the pains of removing old brittle weather stripping to leaky differentials I think I finally have the FEAR. (Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas Movie Reference). Can you guys give me your opinion on my leaf springs? Driving this thing is painful and the suspension doesn’t seem to be doing anything. I did order new OME shocks but wanted to possibly change the leaf springs if they are shot. The 2nd issue is there is oil leaking from the round thing behind the oil pan as seen in the pic. Could that be a rear seal leak? Lastly underneath the distributer there is this flying saucer shaped thing with a hose that isn’t connected to anything. Is this a vent hose of some type? I’m in I’ve my head and sinking quick. If it wasn’t for this amazing community I would have thrown in the towel a while ago!

CBF25A88-4BD3-468E-97C6-597AA316ABB4.jpeg

40A9A8C3-76A5-4CB9-AC61-38BBCDE39388.jpeg

6241F8D7-ED54-4450-86D0-33C7C943593A.jpeg

1. your springs look ok from the picture.
2. Maybe. Could be a number of things. You need to investigate further.
3. It's a distributor advance/retard diaphram. The hose should go somewhere.

4. Get an FSM. You can start with an online version here:

Also get a Haynes Manual.

Welcome to Mud :flipoff2:

Looks like that’s the vacuum Retarder line and from what I’ve read it connects to the lower carb. Mine is capped off to where it’s supposed to connect .

The "round thing behind the oil pan" is a flywheel cover. Nine times out of ten, oil dripping from there is coming from a bad main (crankshaft) seal, underneath the flywheel, but there is also a plug for the camshaft bore and an oil gallery plug on the rear of the block and underneath the flywheel too.

Last edited:
Good god, I just saw the nearly impossible job of changing the rear main seal on a FJ40. Gotta take off the drive shaft, TC, and transmission. Looks like it’s it for me then. End of the road. Probably gonna put it for sale.

Your going to sell it because a 40 year old truck has an oil leak?

Good god, I just saw the nearly impossible job of changing the rear main seal on a FJ40. Gotta take off the drive shaft, TC, and transmission. Looks like it’s it for me then. End of the road. Probably gonna put it for sale.

It's not "impossible", people do it all the time, usually to replace the clutch. The drive shafts come off with four whole bolts each. The transfer case and transmission come off together as one piece (transmission is held on with four bolts). The hardest part is getting the input shaft of the transmission lined up real straight to stab it in the throwout bearing and clutch when you put it back in.

From the back of the flywheel inspection cover, you could have an oil leak on the transmission input shaft gasket or shaft seal? Mine was actually cracked, radially, when I pulled the transmission.

Don't sell. As stated earlier get a FSM and dive right in. When the time comes rent a transmission jack to remove the transmission and transfer case. As 1911 said, hardest part is stabbing the tranny back into the hole. By no means, am I a mechanic but I was able to get it done on my own. Mud will be able to answer any of your questions that come up. Hang in there.

Your going to sell it because a 40 year old truck has an oil leak?

Maybe I got hysterical there for a minute....lol. I think it’s probably doable. I took off the skid plate and the flywheel cover. The only place I can see oil anywhere was on the bottom and inside of the flywheel cover. Everything else seems bone dry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom