Do I sell or keep these parts?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This post is not trying to sell anything without posting a price but is soliciting input on whether or not to sell a few items. Every time I put up Christmas decorations I question these items I’ve got stored. I’ve been keeping the items below in case I get the time/$$ for a full restoration for my 62 or 40. My assumption was a full resto would be better OEM/stock but now I see plenty with aftermarket parts. This is what I have taking up storage space:

1) Stock bucket seats from an FJ62. The fabric is great just dirty but has the regular vinyl tear on the side. I’ve replaced with heated ProCar racing seats. Should I keep these or sell? Is there a decent market for used seats wanting to go completely back to stock? Shipping would be a nightmare. If I ever were to sell my truck will it matter if I have these?
2) FJ62 Chrome wheels. I’ve got FJ40 wheels on my 62 and like the look. I’ve also got extra powder coated FJ62 wheels so these are just hanging around if I ever want to go back to stock chrome. Worth hanging on to?
3) FJ40 jump seats covered in leather - these match my up front Montero bucket seats but previous owner installed new roll bar and bench seat in the back. The roll bar mounting points make it impossible to reinstall the jump seats without finding a new roll bar. From a safety standpoint I just don’t think I’ll ever use these. If I sell the truck someone may want to go back to stock. These seem like they would be most valuable if I went down the sales route.

I’m just curious if others would test the market and sell these parts or you just hang on to them forever just in case. I don’t have unlimited storage space but not out of room yet. Again, if I go down the sales route I’ll get pics and details on MUD or FB marketplace just value any feedback from the group. Thanks!!

Kevin

value 1.png

Worn seats are a hard sell but it they look better than “thrashed” I’m sure there’s some fellow cruiser owners who would rather swap their thrashed seats for your worn seats if it’s an upgrade. But yeah- local sell would be easy but shipping a nightmare.

Stock chrome wheels are desirable if the chrome is in great shape. If they’re a bit rusty it’s a harder sell.

I would build a high shelf in your garage and hang on to all the seats. They are much harder to find of late, and if you ever do a stock-resto, you'll want them. A nice pair of '77 FJ40 headrests is now $300 or so - not including the seat. You don't want to have to pay to ship them to you, later, either.

I would build a high shelf in your garage and hang on to all the seats. They are much harder to find of late, and if you ever do a stock-resto, you'll want them. A nice pair of '77 FJ40 headrests is now $300 or so - not including the seat. You don't want to have to pay to ship them to you, later, either.

@Kboyd this is good advice ^^, those are things I would keep for a rainy day, but I’ve kept everything that comes off mine.

Store them well and keep covered. Clean the OEM chromes real well then spritz them with some type of oil preservative…corrosion X, etc. Oem wheels are very high quality IMO, I was shocked at the difference in thickness/quality to some aftermarket steel wheels I bought.
I bought a front passenger seat in great condition to help rebuild my beat drivers seat.

Thanks all! I think I’ll hold onto everything for now.

Kevin

Thanks all! I think I’ll hold onto everything for now.

Kevin
I keep almost every little thing. It's amazing what down the road breaks and even tiny interior trim pieces can cost. I have several
plastic tubs, organized and labelled. Doesn't take up as much space as you would think. Especially tucked away in garage attic

i’ve got stock jf62 seats and stock chrome wheels hidden away already. i don’t have jump seats so maybe i should take those off your hands!! 😜

if storage isn’t an issue i’d probably tuck them away unless you’re 100% sure you’ll never use them. then you might as well do what toyotamatt said. more money equals new parts!!

Put the 40 series jump seats in the back of the 60.

This post is not trying to sell anything without posting a price but is soliciting input on whether or not to sell a few items. Every time I put up Christmas decorations I question these items I’ve got stored. I’ve been keeping the items below in case I get the time/$$ for a full restoration for my 62 or 40. My assumption was a full resto would be better OEM/stock but now I see plenty with aftermarket parts. This is what I have taking up storage space:

1) Stock bucket seats from an FJ62. The fabric is great just dirty but has the regular vinyl tear on the side. I’ve replaced with heated ProCar racing seats. Should I keep these or sell? Is there a decent market for used seats wanting to go completely back to stock? Shipping would be a nightmare. If I ever were to sell my truck will it matter if I have these?
2) FJ62 Chrome wheels. I’ve got FJ40 wheels on my 62 and like the look. I’ve also got extra powder coated FJ62 wheels so these are just hanging around if I ever want to go back to stock chrome. Worth hanging on to?
3) FJ40 jump seats covered in leather - these match my up front Montero bucket seats but previous owner installed new roll bar and bench seat in the back. The roll bar mounting points make it impossible to reinstall the jump seats without finding a new roll bar. From a safety standpoint I just don’t think I’ll ever use these. If I sell the truck someone may want to go back to stock. These seem like they would be most valuable if I went down the sales route.

I’m just curious if others would test the market and sell these parts or you just hang on to them forever just in case. I don’t have unlimited storage space but not out of room yet. Again, if I go down the sales route I’ll get pics and details on MUD or FB marketplace just value any feedback from the group. Thanks!!

Kevin

u may want to consider selling off what you can now and saving up for these little guys ...

ill be changing my USER ID soon to @ToyotaRumpelStiltskinMatt

44B404E2-0C00-4146-83C5-DF1CE74B54EC.jpeg

F5618922-3791-40DA-A3E8-3216C700D1E0.jpeg

4D2060FF-475F-4542-80C4-A360D3F354D7.jpeg

ECDECD50-CF25-4F1C-9BBB-E1ADC9481EB8.jpeg

EA92B8B4-A723-4B22-AA6C-91B7CA0F2F5E.jpeg

8D67912C-9AA0-494B-A7BD-8902F7E92DAF.jpeg

341D2397-65EE-44C9-B4E6-BB81967B61C8.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom