Do I rebuild, Toyota Swap or GM engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Working on project 75 2f, looks like it needs a full rebuild. I was look at the MAF rebuild kits, so any where from $1500 to $2500 for thier kits depending on Hi-performance or OEM rebuild.

My uncle can rebuild it no cost (he does race car engines, machinist etc..) So I'm off the hook on labor.

I also have 84 Fj60 with 2F that runs fine so here's my options:

Do I shell out for the rebuild kit and rebuild the 75 2f?
Do I swap out my 84 2f and full drive train and drop in the 40 and look for a GM/Chevy v8 to put in my 60?
Do the GM/Chevy drop in the 40 and leave my 60 alone?

Do I do something else I haven't throught of?

Option 1 and start a rebuild thread with lots of pics :cheers:

Option #1 or Eddys suggestion if you can find a good, used 2F.

Nice looking pup, BTW.

I really like this discussion which takes place regularly.

I'm a purist, and I love the car's original design and inception even if it in many aspects it may not be for everyone's needs.

It all depends what you want and use the car for.

I would rebuild the original engine and only non stock mods would be to add disc brakes, a better brake booster, redo all hydraulic lines, fuel lines and enjoy it.

I like to think myself as purist also, all of my cars are toyota haha!
The 40 now as it sits is a frame/body off. Engine block w/3speed attached to frame, axles and springs. The rest is of the car is boxes lol.

I started to think with it all apart is it worth me dropping in my fj60 engine and 4 speed drivetrain? My 60 is rolling on 35's and is heavy with bumpers etc...which is where I thought, well do I drop the $1500-$2500 towards a v8 or diesel for the 60?

I go between 1 and finding a used 2f. You could be buying a good used 2f, or someone else's problems. You do not want to end up with someone else's parts since they chose option 3, and if the engine is out of the truck might be hard to tell. I like option 1 since your uncle can help do it, then you know what you have.

I'm not such a purist & like the sbc. That said, It's your money. GM motor will probably cost you a couple of grand plus the motor to put into the L/C. Adaptors, are just the big ticket items, it's all the little doo-dads & such that add up.

15 years ago I swapped in a 350 when my 1.5F died... $2500 when the dust settled. To do it over today I'd likely get a 3B for the economy.:D

Don't know how you use your truck... My 2nd choice would be another 2F.

Problem solved.....

Buy my extra '76 2F that's sitting in my warehouse on a pallet, ready to ship to you in AZ for $500 and post up pics of the swap!!

Runs great, just looking for a new home!

How's that for a Sunday miracle solution! You'd have it done by next week....better to be driving the 40 than wrenching on the 40 - IMHO!

And if you're looking for a 4spd - I have one of those too - Hit me up if you wanna be Cruisin' by next weekend!

Problem solved.....

Buy my extra '76 2F that's sitting in my warehouse on a pallet, ready to ship to you in AZ for $500 and post up pics of the swap!!

Runs great, just looking for a new home!

How's that for a Sunday miracle solution! You'd have it done by next week....better to be driving the 40 than wrenching on the 40 - IMHO!

And if you're looking for a 4spd - I have one of those too - Hit me up if you wanna be Cruisin' by next weekend!

lets talk, shoot me a pm, very interested.

PM'd as requested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom