Do I really want an FJ62? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you could buy one already done right it would be ideal. Its almost certainly going to be for a fair amount less than it would cost to have it done and essentially you have a vehicle that will last another 200k for under 10 grand that looks cool on top of it. It seems like a lot of people that do v8 swaps don't sell to often though.

I don't drive mine to often anymore it sits in the garage a lot but I drove it today and it reminded me how much I like it. Nothing like 85mph down the freeway in an 8" lifted 60 on 35s to make your day better.

Just from a "driving up I-70" standpoint, the 60/62 is tolerable. You wont be holding up traffic, but you wont be passing a lot of people either. It is miles above my pickup (see sig), my old honda and maybe your wife's subaru, depending on what kind she has. If you can afford a newer 80 with the 4.5, then that would be a step up. An older 80 should be about on par with a 62.

I drove 80's and 60's (among the 4-runners, etc) when shopping for my current rig, and oddly I found the 60 to have more room inside than the 80.

I've made my decision, got plans to buy a very well maintained '96 FZJ80 (white of course). To help in the looks department, it has a front ARB bumper and I will be taking the fender flares off to look a little more square.

The 60s are still cooler though.

I've owned an FZJ80 and currently own a 62. The FZJ80 was awesome and I believe to be the better short term value. You get more for your money. But as supply/demand goes, the 60 series are the better investments (for now). I believe 60's are next in line to go the way of the 40's/50's and potentially appreciate or at least not depreciate as fast.

So the question is, do you want a potential investment or an exceptional value? Either way you really can't go wrong if you get a good one for a good price and take care of it.

As far as taking on positive graded roads, in my experience my 62 and FZJ80 are equally powered (as confirmed by the ol' butt-dyno) and reliably cruise just fine. The power to weight ratio and gearing seem similar at cruising speeds. I wouldn't hesitate to take either one up an inclined highway.

So, to go out on a limb, YES you do want a Land Cruiser :D

With all due respect, both of these posts are total nonsense.

The 60s will never appreciate and never become collectors vehicles and never become borderline valuable (unless you have one with 500 miles on it and in showroom condition). There are way too many out there, even more in other countries and the US got the worst equipped ones.

Secondly, if you are truly trying to compare a 3FE with a 1FZ engine, you are either running your 3FE on plutonium or your 1FZ has lost 3 of the 6 cylinders. If you put them on a REAL dyno, you'll see the differences.

Bottom line, don't give the poor thread starter advice that is simply wrong.
cheers,
J

Well, I'm not worried about a cruiser as an investment, all cars are money pits.

Anyone else care to chime in on the differences in the uphill capabilities?

Keeping the Subaru isn't really an option that we care to explore, since my Kia gets better gas millage and has fewer miles, that's our run-around-town car. And since we work at the same office, the Cruiser won't be a commuter, just something that can carry more people and dogs when used around town.

How much more is the overhang on the rear of a 60? I know it has a little more cargo space (a plus) but the 60s also have a big butt. There are a few places that I have been in an FZJ80 that has a mild lift and slightly larger tires that was dragging the rear bumper on the way down. Is this worse in a 60?

I have a low mileage, all original FJ62 (64K miles) with 31s on it. The motor and drivetrain are fresh and in the right gear and rpm, it will pull any hill at good speed. I towed my dirt bike trailer to Big Bear, CA (7K feet) and it was no sweat. If you use second and third gear properly, the truck will move. At 3600-3800 rpm that motor has plenty of power and pulls like a tractor.

For me, this is the bottom-line. The stock FJ62 is unique, rare, vintage, stylish, and turns heads. It is a statement, an attitude... How do you compare that to an 80?

I came back to this thread because something happened the other day that should settle this... I was walking to my truck which was parked at the end of the parking row, a young blond hottie with her boyfriend was driving by and I saw her look at my truck, point to it, and say to her boyfriend, "I want that !" So, Do we really need to discuss more ? ...... :clap::clap::cheers:

Enjoy the Big Bear, CA pic below... Great skiing, great wheeling and Riding !

bigbear2010lc2.jpg

PS. I run Transynd Tranny fluid and use a Hayden Tranny cooler. Tranny shifts great ! :steer:

If you have to ask then the answer is NO!

Dynosoar:zilla:

The stock FJ62 is unique, rare, vintage, stylish, and turns heads. It is a statement, an attitude... How do you compare that to an 80?

You dont....;)

nothin sexier than a :princess: driving a 60 series...
good luck mate
Dang right !!!

Unless it has a vortec in it...;)
Truedat...

60 series might not be as fast as 80's (well....mine is :rolleyes:) but they sure are much much more cool looking than a FJ80...

I picked up a nearly flawless 1990 FJ62 with 95k miles on it for $3700 about two years ago. It was stock, so I have put quite a bit of cash into it to make it trail ready, but I am very happy with it's off road performance - and it looks awesome. My two gripes with it are 1.It's underpowered - I am looking into having a custom turbo put on it which will cost 2-3k but will gain me about 60-70 hp. I have a 4" lift and 35" tires and it does struggle with long uphill freeway rides. Problem 2 - departure angle sucks. This is only a problem if you are doing fairly tough rock crawling. For camping it's no problem at all.

The truck is reliable and tough - not a single mechanical problem. Here is one of my latest pics of it - it has a few more things added to it now.
IMG_8714.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom