Do I really want an FJ62? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a low mileage, all original FJ62 (64K miles) with 31s on it. The motor and drivetrain are fresh and in the right gear and rpm, it will pull any hill at good speed. I towed my dirt bike trailer to Big Bear, CA (7K feet) and it was no sweat. If you use second and third gear properly, the truck will move. At 3600-3800 rpm that motor has plenty of power and pulls like a tractor.

For me, this is the bottom-line. The stock FJ62 is unique, rare, vintage, stylish, and turns heads. It is a statement, an attitude... How do you compare that to an 80?

go sixty-two

hey rigger,

I was in your shoes about 5 yrs back. after cruiser-hunting, we (me, :princess: & 16 y.o daughter at the time) decided that the 62 would serve us better. true, about the creature comforts of the 80s (i.e. locking diff & 3rd row seats), but if you take care of your rig & do the necessary PM, you will not be disappointed with a 62 since it's auto.

we've packed our 62 w/ 5 peeps, gear from floor to headliner & on the roof w/ no problem other than seeing the speedo go no faster than 50. you got old folks telling ya about not going fast. one thing for sure, cruisers don't accelerate, they gather speed.
I'm 37 & love cruising at 55! :grinpimp:

oh, and for piece of mind, our daughter learned how to drive using the landcruiser. glad we did. she got rear-ended, and was not hurt at all.

nothin sexier than a :princess: driving a 60 series...
good luck mate

Get a 60 or an 80, you will never have to replace the transmission (or other items) in either of those... 62s are rubbish.:rolleyes:

...At 3600-3800 rpm that motor has plenty of power and pulls like a tractor.]/QUOTE]

It is a tractor:lol::cheers:
(that's part of the beauty of it).

For me, this is the bottom-line. The stock FJ62 is unique, rare, vintage, stylish, and turns heads. It is a statement, an attitude... How do you compare that to an 80?

:cheers:Exactly why I keep mine:cheers:

Get a 60 or an 80, you will never have to replace the transmission (or other items) in either of those... 62s are rubbish.:rolleyes:

Sounds like somebody got up on the wrong side of a 62:rolleyes::lol:

Man, despite what Tx say's, you're always going to have something that needs upgrading or replacing, regardless of the rig.
Heck, even the brand new, off the lot units end up going back for warranty work. The only difference is, you are the warranty provider:D
And unless you're satisfied with totally stock, and not too many people can hold out that long:D, you'll be finding something you want to fix or upgrade.

As for "creature comforts" look around the site. There are several here that have modded thier trucks to much higher levels of comfort and reliability.

A 60/62 will have a rougher ride than an 80 because of the suspension system, but other than that, you can do a lot with them.

Sound deadening, modern sound systems, seats, the list goes on and on....

$$$$???

Yep, you'll spend some, but in the end, I think they're worth it.

In the end, both are good rigs:beer:

If you are looking for a true classic and are willing to improve the creature comforts for the wife and she is willing to drive stick...FJ60. Must haves....(sound deadening, seats, and suspension at a minimum

More turnkey yet not quite the classic.....go with the 80 series.

One other note about going from the Subaru to the Landcruiser. Be prepared to spend a LOT more money on fuel--probably by a factor of 3.

Your Subie must get way better mileage than mine, or else your cruiser get's way worse! I drive almost all highway miles to work and get 25 in my '98 Outback. My '85 FJ60 gets 15. While that's substantial, it's not even twice the mileage.

I just love my 60 and would never get rid of it. However, that being said, if I was in the market for a new to me cruiser, I'd be thinking fjz80. In reality, it just has so much over the 60 / 62 series. An engine that actually will move the rig decently, coil springs, full time 4wd, optional factory lockers, and it still has solid axles! And all this in a package that offers all the creature comforts of a luxury SUV. Plus, most have never been off the pavement, let alone wheeled hard. And unlike the 60 / 62 series, it's easy to find one in good shape (i.e. no rust, etc.) at a very decent price. JMHO.

My 62 works great, used in the same way you plan to use the truck. No need for much of a lift if any, and don't go bigger than 31" tires to avoid losing pulling power.
An FZJ 80 is "better", except for the more common head gasket problem with that engine and their bubble like appearance.

" Get a 60 or an 80, you will never have to replace the transmission (or other items) in either of those... 62s are rubbish."

I'm not agree with what BG_TX said before, 60 / 62 is a tough truck....I love it all of TOYOTA LANDCRUISER product

Since he never said where he is I vote for the HJ61. Get the right one and it will have low milage, little to no rust, way more power and double the efficiency not to mention lockers and a 5 speed manual

Since he never said where he is I vote for the HJ61. Get the right one and it will have low milage, little to no rust, way more power and double the efficiency not to mention lockers and a 5 speed manual

I'm in Colorado, USA. So, while An HJ61 would be cool as hell, I don't think I can hunt down one locally. Unless you can bring me one for cheap:hmm:

I own both a FZJ80 and a FJ62. Love my FJ62, and it has a 5 speed.

The FJ62 is just plain fun to drive, but there are those days, when I borrow the FZJ80 from my wife, and it's just a pleasure to not have to shift, and have a cushy ride.

Any time we need to take more than 4 people - we always take the 80. And it's great on road trips with the family. Anything over a hour - we always take the 80.

FJ62 - classic styling, and ride, always get the "cool truck" at the stop light
FZJ80 - modern SUV feel. Dependable and quiet cushy ride.

-Mark

It seems like a lot of people are saying more or less the same thing, that the 62 is cool, but is outdone by the FJZ by a large enough margin to make the FZJ worth while.

Or I could just go all out and sell a few organs to get the REALLY cool classic dream: an HJ47 troopy!

It seems like a lot of people are saying more or less the same thing, that the 62 is cool, but is outdone by the FJZ by a large enough margin to make the FZJ worth while.

Or I could just go all out and sell a few organs to get the REALLY cool classic dream: an HJ47 troopy!

You have studied the postings. You have read each word. You have reviewed the pros and cons. You have weighed and balanced. You have analyzed and cross-checked. Nice work!

At the end, your head says FZJ80 . . . . but, and it is a big BUT . . . . your heart says 60-series! Follow your heart!

Admit it now: You. Want. A. 60-series.

:D

I was going to sell my 60 and get an 80 because I thought it would be enough motor for comfortable highway driving and occasional pulling of 5k but the fzj 80 was still way to slow for me and the only other option with enough power for my taste was a 100 which I didn't like so I kept the 60 and installed a v8 which has kept me satisfied for about a year and a half. Now I still think it needs a bit more so If I keep it its going to get upgraded to 325-350hp and 400ish torque and bag the rear so I can pull my 24ft enclosed trailer sand rail and dirt bikes to the dunes. I just have it in my head it would be cool to pull all of that stuff with a land cruiser.

You have studied the postings. You have read each word. You have reviewed the pros and cons. You have weighed and balanced. You have analyzed and cross-checked. Nice work!

At the end, your head says FZJ80 . . . . but, and it is a big BUT . . . . your heart says 60-series! Follow your heart!

Admit it now: You. Want. A. 60-series.

:D

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly how I feel.

I was going to sell my 60 and get an 80 because I thought it would be enough motor for comfortable highway driving and occasional pulling of 5k but the fzj 80 was still way to slow for me and the only other option with enough power for my taste was a 100 which I didn't like so I kept the 60 and installed a v8 which has kept me satisfied for about a year and a half. Now I still think it needs a bit more so If I keep it its going to get upgraded to 325-350hp and 400ish torque and bag the rear so I can pull my 24ft enclosed trailer sand rail and dirt bikes to the dunes. I just have it in my head it would be cool to pull all of that stuff with a land cruiser. -Kurtis

I don't really have any intention of towing anything, but a SBC or Vortec swap could always happen down the road if I got a 62. Of course, you can almost get an FZJ for the cost of a Profitts (sp?) engine swap. And I'm not so sure I want to get a 62 with the intention of junking the engine. Hmmm.... someone else wanna make up my mind for me?:frown:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom