Do I need to replace this head gasket while I am here? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

THe condition of the exposed edges of the gasket have nothing to do with what it is like between the head and the block. You don't replace a head gasket as some sort of preventive maintenance. Only if there is something wrong with it, or of you have had to remove the head for some other reason (they are not reusable).

Mark...

I agree with Mark, however on a 60 series there is A LOT of stuff to take off to get where you are. Check your compression and see what you get. If it's low, it may be in need of a top end rebuild and you're at the perfect spot now to do it. Plus if you get a good variation between cylinders it might not be a bad idea to do it since you are right there.

thanks guys. last time I checked the compression (about a year ago) it was all good. I appreciate the advice as I was gettting ready to do it but really didn't want the hassle. I already reassembled everything and am trying to get some of the bugs out now. Had it aprt for a long time and didn't take pics. Have FSMs but there is still something to be desired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom