Do I need to replace my axle housing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ocho77

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.op-art.guru
97 LX450.
Had a horrible wobble when turning right or left. It’s been 57k miles since my last front axle rebuild, so it was time. Driver outer bearing was destroyed. The upper trunnion bearing and race looked okay, but the housing is chewed up. Do I need to replace this?

B8AF4BBC-577A-43F8-A820-DA4F189A1E8E.jpeg

I wouldn't. Just clean up anything that will get in the way of the new bearing.

Really? From the pic it looks to be chewed up pretty good. Meaning the meat under the race is pretty thin.

I would find a bare housing at a minimum, or a complete axle and just swap it over. Why go through the pain and cost of a rebuild to have it fail again, in a possibly more catastrophic way?

Mine does the same thing, I think it has to do with the shim missing. Let me guess your shim is missing too?

Yes, it is! Can I purchase them somewhere.

From mr. T I'm sure, don't have the part number infront of me.

It's amazing what a little shim will do. Your housing is fine, just make sure your birf isn't too beat up, clean it out very well to get any residual metal out.

If the marks are only at the top of the ball, it is most often from the knuckle stud/steering arm coming loose. Cleanup the burrs and run it. Have seen and run much worse, when a birf comes apart, tends to make a real mess!

If the marks are only at the top of the ball, it is most often from the knuckle stud/steering arm coming loose. Cleanup the burrs and run it. Have seen and run much worse, when a birf comes apart, tends to make a real mess!

Just need to find the shims somewhere. I’ll check and see if I can find a part number.

Just need to find the shims somewhere. I’ll check and see if I can find a part number.

What is wrong with your shim(s)? The shims are only to set preload, if the shim(s) are kept in the same place, it is almost always correct.

What is wrong with your shim(s)? The shims are only to set preload, if the shim(s) are kept in the same place, it is almost always correct.

Post #5 states that there were no shims when I tore it apart.

Callled cruiser outfitters, they only put shims in the older kits.

Post #5 states that there were no shims when I tore it apart.

That is possible, some get the proper preload without shim, others need them.

Callled cruiser outfitters, they only put shims in the older kits.

Almost never needed, so good plan.

You’ll need the knuckle centering SST if you think you’ll need shims. You can’t just put them on willy nilly

You’ll need the knuckle centering SST if you think you’ll need shims. You can’t just put them on willy nilly

It's not a FJ40, the shim(s), if needed, only set bearing preload.

Shims we have :D

Give us a buzz and we'll get you taken care of!

I have a call to Bryce yesterday. We’ll get it figured out. Thanks for all of your guys help. You truly are an amazing asset to this community.

So, I have replaced the following and still have the same issue:

Front axle housing
Wheel bearings
Spindles
Seals
Trunnion bearings
Tie rod ends
Swapped out wheels/tires to make sure that was not the issue - had the same problem

I'm at a loss and about ready to torch my truck. Any other thoughts are welcome.

Last edited:
Some rigs have been known to get cracks in the frame around the steering box and panhard mount. Did you check for this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom