Builds Do I need to buy a flat bill now? Chap79 Tacoma Build (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Made some aluminum bracing to move the Maxtrax mounts from the top of the rack to the sides. Definitely easier to get to than being of the roof, will need to get a lock to keep honest folks honest.
B446888B-15FC-4580-8672-335B2F2C71B7.jpeg
0E82A510-D8C6-475F-9FA5-E94C4870358D.jpeg

😳
397363DA-C399-46FE-924F-01B47ED02195.jpeg

Now you've gone and done it!

What...damn your serious off roader now....

Finished the snorkel install after letting the paint cuddle all night with a space heater in the shop.

Ready for the Ozarks.
03DBCFC1-F126-4FC9-AC06-8A5887BE3965.jpeg
FCB43A85-AEBD-4B19-AAD1-7B7941B422A0.jpeg

Pruddy

Finished the snorkel install after letting the paint cuddle all night with a space heater in the shop.

Ready for the Ozarks.
View attachment 2844611View attachment 2844612
looking NICE
I prefer the Factor 55 flat link over the Porlink as the prolink kills the approach angle, and in your case it looks like it well be the first thing to hit even with mild off roading 🤷‍♂️
;)

Coming soon
3324888C-F520-473D-B80C-ADF9E1B52A78.jpeg

Pulled the trigger on the ODBII adapter and tuning software. Hope I don’t brick my ECU.

Lets hope so!!!

Tune installed. I went with the KDMax Pro tune from PapaRee on TW. Real nice guy to work with. Currently running the Normal throttle tune with AGM voltage correction.

Shifting is much smoother, RPMs are held longer, and throttle is very linear and not jerky. Power improvement is very noticeable.

Once I get 500 miles or so on the tune I’ll report back.

It’s been a hot minute since I’ve updated this thread, so much has changed in my life I don’t know where to begin.

Over the Thanksgiving weekend of 2021 the wife and I decided that I should accept a position in Quantico, VA that had been offered to me. That meant I needed to get to work finishing some remodeling I was doing on the house so we could get it on the market.

My job was very accommodating and allowed me to work remotely out of Missouri while we finished the house, getting it on the market in April of 2022. Come July we were closing on one new place in Virginia and on to the next chapter of our lives.

IMG_1638.jpeg

The new homestead. (Why do most homes out here not have garages? Inquiring minds want to know.)

You might have glimpsed a silhouette in the shop door. Yep, picked up a 70 series to add to the herd. A fresh off the boat from Japan, a 1994 KZJ78 Land Cruiser Prado. 3.0 1KZTE turbo diesel with a 5 spd manual.

IMG_1551.jpeg

The new mistress of my life.

Life on homestead has been keeping me busy, we have less grass to cut here but the other 10 acres of forest is A LOT of work. Add some changes to the house, framing in and insulating the pole barn, replacing the head one the old Prado, and building a vegetable garden for the wife followed by cutting a walking path through the woods.

IMG_1230.jpeg
IMG_1144.jpeg
IMG_1164.jpeg

Last edited:
71685173476__992F7FEC-A08E-4105-A4A9-F061AED0BD61.jpeg
IMG_1419.jpeg
IMG_1679.png
IMG_1698.jpeg
IMG_1699.jpeg

The Tacoma. Not a lot has changed with it, new tires and some 17” 4Runner wheels. Just rolled over 70,000 miles on it. That’s 40,000 with the tune. Truck runs great.

The member of the fleet I spend the most time on off road
IMG_1059.jpeg
IMG_1361.jpeg

Had to fire up the google map machine to see where "Partlow" is. Way down there in Spotsy.
A belated "welcome to the Commonwealth" to you.

Recently rolled over 79k on the truck and almost on the dime had the truck fail me. I was parked at a red light waiting to turn left when I felt the idle stumble. Then I saw the RPMs drop and the truck went into limp mode. When the light turned green I was able to nurse it into a parking lot where it died and would not restart. Message on the dash was something about engine, transmission, or fuel system failure. Called AAA and had them tow it to the dealership which was about 2 miles from my current 20. Fast forward 3 weeks and the truck has a new fuel pump and new fuel ECU.

Dealership said that the ECU had moisture in it 🤨. I feel like they were trying to imply something since the truck has a snorkel on it. But anyone that knows me knows that I suffer from water crossing PTSD since I sunk my 80 on the Arizona Peace Trail.

I blame the Midwest road salt. Either way warranty covered it and I’m back on the road.

Moral of the story, excessive lube (dielectric grease) is always the answer.

Is the ECU in the cab?

Is the ECU in the cab?
No, it's under the truck. Fuel Pump Control ECU. Driver side frame rail forward of the fuel tank and crossmember.

1711452343350.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom