Builds Do I need to buy a flat bill now? Chap79 Tacoma Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You know me too well. Installed the lift today while doing my conference calls for work. This telework gig ain’t too shabby.

After a short drive it’s sitting at 3” of lift in the front and 2” in the rear. Still has about a 1” rake. So far I’m very happy with it. It might be a while until we can get some trail miles under her.

View attachment 2264287View attachment 2264288
Very, very nice.

Very, very nice.
Thank you Sir. I can only hope that my taco can someday compare to your Del Taco Supreme.

Thank you Sir. I can only hope that my taco can someday compare to your Del Taco Supreme.
You're way past me already. I'm going to start looking at new ones when the dealers open back up. Interest wanes when they're finished. As you have found out nothing like bringing a new one home and unbolting stuff.

Looks awesome c79! I REALLY want to get mine in, but the pressure is high to finish the Airstream... But if I were single, or she was in Hawaii...

So are you set on the ST Maxx? I kind of like the KM3s. They look sexy. They are available in 255/85 as well.

Last edited:
Looks awesome c79! I REALLY want to get mine in, but the pressure is high to finish the Airstream... But if I were single, or she was in Hawaii...

So are you set on the ST Maxx? I kind of like the KM3s. They look sexy. They are available in 255/85 as well.

I’m probably set on the S/T Maxx as I need a M&S tire for winter here. I had KM2’s on my 3rd gen T4R and a set on an 80 ten years ago, good off road but didn’t do so well on icy roads, and much louder.

I feel ya on the trailer builds. I have an old Starcraft popup that I’ve stripped to the frame, chopped up, and am building a tear drop out of.

The KM3s are M+S, but if you get much snow, as you know, the STs are a much better option. I don’t really know the climates east of the Rockies.

We restore vintage Airstreams for a living, so our own is always the last to get worked on. Momma wants to do a May trip in ours. Not sure how that’s going to pan out, but I have to knuckle down and at least make it look like I’m “trying” to keep household harmony intact. I need to fab winch mounts for my 4Runner, do some work to the diesel, and I’ve got a ‘63 VW Manx clone with 3500 original miles on it in one of the barns waiting on some love...

The KM3s are M+S, but if you get much snow, as you know, the STs are a much better option. I don’t really know the climates east of the Rockies.

We restore vintage Airstreams for a living, so our own is always the last to get worked on. Momma wants to do a May trip in ours. Not sure how that’s going to pan out, but I have to knuckle down and at least make it look like I’m “trying” to keep household harmony intact. I need to fab winch mounts for my 4Runner, do some work to the diesel, and I’ve got a ‘63 VW Manx clone with 3500 original miles on it in one of the barns waiting on some love...

We get a bit of snow off and on all winter and more ice. When I used to get to drive to work it’s a 33 mile commute, so winter performance is a must. I’ve been wanting to get a second set of wheels for dedicated winter tires for the GS. All seasons are okay but if we get a lot of ice they’re no good.

One of the draws to the S/T’s is that they are studdable if it got really bad, not that ice ever had a problem with them in the ice currently. But that was in a much heavier and more even weighted rig.

I was also looking at the Mastercraft CXT (also made by Cooper Tire) in the 255/85r16. But not sure it I’d trust the 2ply sidewall the same as I did the S/T Maxx's 3ply. They’re a little cheaper than the Coopers so a fifth tire would be free comparatively.

883438E4-66DD-4860-BE66-8C0F1B7EF252.jpeg

I’m not one for putting my new $40,000 rig on second line tires to save $200 every 3-4 years. I figure buy the good stuff since you KNOW it works.

Yes Sir. Hence the past tense use of was.

Installed the Toyota power tailgate lock kit this afternoon. Part number PK3B6-35JS0. Just as @iptman wrote up in his thread here the kit is genuine Toyota quality. Install was straightforward and I now possess the ability to lock and unlock the tailgate with the key fob or door buttons.

No more worrying about somebody stealing the tailgate.

Installed the Toyota power tailgate lock kit this afternoon. Part number PK3B6-35JS0. Just as @iptman wrote up in his thread here the kit is genuine Toyota quality. Install was straightforward and I now possess the ability to lock and unlock the tailgate with the key fob or door buttons.

No more worrying about somebody stealing the tailgate.

Considered these. I'm a bit disappointed Toyota hasn't been putting tailgate locks on at the factory.

Mine had a lock, it just wasn’t integrated into the rest of the system so I had to use the physical little key from the fob to lock/unlock it. The only reason I went with the Toyota kit vise a pop n lock kit is that for the 2020 the Toyota kit is 100% plug and play. It came in factory looms with all the appropriate plugs and grommets.

I actually had a door lock actuator sitting on the shelf and thought about just using it and fabbing my own setup. But I really didn’t want to be splicing my wiring on a brand new truck:meh:.

Mine had a lock, it just wasn’t integrated into the rest of the system so I had to use the physical little key from the fob to lock/unlock it. The only reason I went with the Toyota kit vise a pop n lock kit is that for the 2020 the Toyota kit is 100% plug and play. It came in factory looms with all the appropriate plugs and grommets.

I actually had a door lock actuator sitting on the shelf and thought about just using it and fabbing my own setup. But I really didn’t want to be splicing my wiring on a brand new truck:meh:.

Must be a gen3 thing, maybe it was an option on gen2. I'm not well versed in factory options, i just never noticed one.

I can't blame you for wanting to keep a brand new truck clean. Until the first dent arrives at least

Slow headway. Picked up a piece of 3/16 5052 aluminum to replace the inner tailgate skin with. I wanted to swap the inner ribbed composite with something smooth for sitting or cooking on. In other words, to be able to tailgate :rolleyes:. One coat of dulpi-color bed liner sprayed on.
8F73C9E4-BCB4-422A-B5F6-765D72E649D2.jpeg
5CCE4759-1122-47DC-B7AD-E01B1D2E64E0.jpeg
39A761DC-3FD0-4938-82AF-6471C2A95F4F.jpeg

Not the most glamorous shot as it’s been raining all day but I installed a softopper. As much as I’d love a hard shell camper I just can’t justify the price at this moment and most are still just an illusion of security for your gear in the back.
B8E1FF5A-DFAA-4F22-8CA5-7596D3B89F87.jpeg

Pulled my old Warn M8000 apart and as I suspected it was full of water. Seems it did t like being submerged for 20 minutes in a river.

*Note to self*
Don’t pull the motor apart unless you really have to. The 4 magnetic contacts in the bottom have what can best be described as brand new S&W Shield .40 magazine springs holding tension on them and once the motor is pulled out don’t want to go back to their homes.

Replaced the old steel rope with a MasterPull 3/8” synthetic line. I cleaned up the drum with 0000 steel wool and knocked down a couple of burrs on the original welds to prepare for the synthetic rope. I’ll respool it once I
D59EF328-68D2-4867-A283-313F40034BB7.jpeg
2805580D-E58A-473B-9B52-7BA9CAA641BF.png
997B4C17-B7BF-4E73-BC82-80966EF6A7CE.jpeg
7A0B6957-40C6-4C6F-8B38-37D12D808204.jpeg
7C89927D-3669-40E6-AA7F-720328873E82.jpeg

Put new shoes on it, Cooper S/T Maxx in 265/75r16. It was a hard choice between this size and 255/85’s but I really wanted to be able to keep the mud guards for the Midwest winters. Maybe I’ll go up with the next set, who knows.

For those not familiar with this tire I ran two sets of them on my LX450 in 37’s. Doing a five tire rotation I was getting 70k out of a set. I wheeled it unforgivingly and the tires performed great in all the conditions I put them in.

8221C523-1E22-4AF7-8EA4-4C5ABE39169B.jpeg

Looks good.

I've heard good things about the Cooper's. I've only tried the ATs, and didn't like them, especcially in the snow. Ive been on team Duratracs for a while, rotate every 5k, and they last.

Not familiar with 3rd get Mud flaps, but if they are rigid plastic like on the 2nd Gen pull them off. They snagged on rocks and logs all the time. I miss the old flexi rubber ones.

0425201020.jpg

Bought these NATO cans the other day, sanded and sprayed white (solar heat protection) and added friction clear coat. Replaced gaskets, refurbished spouts. Attached mounts through bed into wheel well, and strapped them in. Seem real
0425201020.jpg
solid. Have a project deep in the AZ strip (300-ish miles of dirt) and I'm not risking running out of fuel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom