Builds Do I need to buy a flat bill now? Chap79 Tacoma Build (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Which lift are you going with? A lot of options for the Taco.

Too many options! I’m sure the flames are a-comin, but I’m just going to do a 2” strut spacer and a 1.5” block as I want to more or less retain factory ride, and as a lease, I need to be able to take the lift out if there is warranty work to be done. In a couple of years I’ll go with OME or something of similar quality. At this point it’s just about a bit more ride height.

Too many options! I’m sure the flames are a-comin, but I’m just going to do a 2” strut spacer and a 1.5” block as I want to more or less retain factory ride, and as a lease, I need to be able to take the lift out if there is warranty work to be done. In a couple of years I’ll go with OME or something of similar quality. At this point it’s just about a bit more ride height.
With a lease that makes sense, gotta keep it simple and adhere to the fine print.

I think I have settled on going with Bilstein 6112/5160 combo plus UCAs and some Dakar rear springs. As nice as King/Icon/Fox would be I don't think I really need it at this moment.

What you are looking at is likely where I’ll go in a few years. Are you doing the Bilstein spring or the Eibach? I’ve seen both offered as complete struts. I’m assuming the Bilsteins. I’ll be very interested in your opinions on ride etc when you’re done. It’s easy to go way overboard on these things!

The service manager at my dealer is a good guy and we were discussing lifts when one of his techs walked up and he said “Oh, you better wait until your warranty is up as Toyota is super fussy about that stuff, especially on a lease”. Once the tech left he said “off the record, if it’s a 2” or so, it’s fine, just be prepared to take it out if something needs warranty work in the suspension or drivetrain”.

Have you tried leaving a 12 pack of brew in the passenger seat when you drop off the truck for service?

From what I've gathered it really depends on the service managers as to warranty repairs on modded vehicles. I know that I'm doing a 2" lift on this truck. I don't want/need any more than that nor do I want the headaches.

You’re exactly right. That’s why I discussed with my service manager first. He’s fine with me doing it, but just suggested I should be emotionally prepared to remove it if I need work done on any suspension or related components. As far as the rest of the truck it doesn’t factor in. He said Toyota’s warranty department has been asking for photos a lot lately.

Speaking of photos, sliders arrived today, 3 week turn around.
I opted for Cali Raised Offroad 0* Step Sliders; bolt on with kick out and lined top plates. Primed them today and hopefully will be able to paint them tomorrow with Rust-oleum bed coating.
6E3B611B-F8BF-4D77-8DEA-EF8E33B65BF4.jpeg
362D9245-7790-47E7-AC24-E5829B3CC1E0.jpeg
01E4F0F5-5C19-4DFA-BB7A-1FEF16234B51.jpeg

Last edited:
One step closer
3193F13B-EED7-4C28-865D-6EFB6704DD46.jpeg

Those look great! Seriously beefy, and your paint/finishing work looks flawless.

My lift parts were delivered to my warehouse today. Might be entertaining picking them up as health officials are trying to limit border crossings and my stuff is 500 yards south of me in Washington State. There are lots of nice built Toyota’s at the customs parking lot on the Canadian side, so I’ll just hope one of the enthusiast crowd is working the booth!

Mounted the sliders this morning. Also decided to use this as the new build thread...
3529184F-BBB8-4F10-ACE9-E17F4BAB85CE.jpeg
E0DA4431-B226-4500-B822-4EF4D186B875.jpeg
1D68ADB7-4502-4BF5-A155-844915AC935D.jpeg

Last edited:
Very nice. How soon are you going to do the lift and tires? I think your truck wants you to do it soon!

Don't know yet. Just kind of depends on what plans we have for later this year. Given the current COVID-19 situation I might hold off until the financial crap stabilizes.

There is a lot of craziness these days, that’s for sure. Humans are not all showing their good sides. Luckily I work from my home shop, and have enough materials on hand to keep my builds moving forward. If I run out of things to do, I’ll get my lift in.

I pulled the trigger on a lift. I was originally thinking about going with the Bilstein 6112/5160 combo with some UCAs. Which lead to the path of which UCAs. Given that I’m in the Midwest uniball really isn’t the best option due to road salt. So after looking around at different UCAs that utilize a factory ball joint, reading reviews, blah, blah, blah... I ended up on Ironman 4x4’s website.

I had added the UCAs to the shopping cart last week but didn’t pull the trigger due to covid-19, tax season, life and the mysteries there of, whatever...

So they called me on Saturday to see if I was still interested!

I didn’t answer since the number showed up unknown and I was wrist deep in 20 cans of spray foam insulating the seams of my shop. But I was still interested and planned to call back on Monday. Went online today to check that pricing was still the same and noticed that their stage 2 lift was on sale for $1000 off.

Decided to move my complete lift purchase to Ironman 4x4 given their LC reputation. Called to place my order for a foam cell pro stage 2 lift and their system was being a little wonky stating components were not, but really were, available. Bubba checked inventory and pieced the whole kit together individually since the computer was possessed and trying to connect to Skynet, was nice enough to add an order of TREDs for free, and give another 10% off for my first purchase from them...plus free shipping. Not even sure how they’re making a profit here...

Long story longer I was given a great consumer experience and as long as the products meet my expectations I will be giving them some more of my business.

:cheers: @O Ironman

I had a similar experience with the folks at Ironman off-road, customer service was very good. I know how the U boat was done...looking forward to this build.

I pulled the trigger on a lift. I was originally thinking about going with the Bilstein 6112/5160 combo with some UCAs. Which lead to the path of which UCAs. Given that I’m in the Midwest uniball really isn’t the best option due to road salt. So after looking around at different UCAs that utilize a factory ball joint, reading reviews, blah, blah, blah... I ended up on Ironman 4x4’s website.

Congrats! Sounds like a great deal, and if the product is half as good as the deal and the service, you’ll be winning big time! I have yet to get my stuff installed (trying to finish my Airstream off), but I’m hoping to get to it some time in April.

Lift kit arrived today. UPS took their time delivering it (we’re the second to last house on the delivery route) and the the misc parts box had busted open in the truck. Checked it over and looks like everything is there.

UCAs look really good. And they labeled the coilovers. Can’t wait to get it installed.

45557311-5895-49C2-88E4-90C5016A0AD3.jpeg

41A382B1-0014-4D2F-96B9-744C14B58DC7.jpeg

Lift kit arrived today. UPS took their time delivering it (we’re the second to last house on the delivery route) and the the misc parts box had busted open in the truck. Checked it over and looks like everything is there.

UCAs look really good. And they labeled the coilovers. Can’t wait to get it installed.

View attachment 2263236
View attachment 2263235
I'll bet Midnight Oil will be burned :popcorn:

Hard choices have to be made, weeds or mods hmmm let me guess.
You know me too well. Installed the lift today while doing my conference calls for work. This telework gig ain’t too shabby.

After a short drive it’s sitting at 3” of lift in the front and 2” in the rear. Still has about a 1” rake. So far I’m very happy with it. It might be a while until we can get some trail miles under her.

F2396175-C2E6-434F-B779-28D55CB9EAD5.jpeg
ADC96671-8F4F-4470-9968-875FD3031F6F.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom