Do I need aftermarket parts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I replaced both the rear (lower and upper control arms). They were original and in poor shape:

Quick update: Installed new OEM rear control arms and that made a world of difference in the ride and the drive-ability. I am now chasing a clunk in the front that is certainly not sway bar link related as those were replaced not too long ago.
👍🏼

I’ve got the OEM replacements and plan to replace all four this weekend.

Few tips I got from this forum:
Keep the truck on it wheels when working on Rear CAs. Take the spare off to give you easier access to the rear mounts of the upper control arms. The nuts are the ones you want to loosen and then tighten and torque upon assembly, the bolts have ridges that catch on to the mounting brackets and don't really move (an excellent design IMO).
Do one arm at a time, otherwise it would be a nightmare to get the axle to align with the frame!
Finally, I had trouble lining up the holes with the new arms and each time I had to raise the axle housing slightly on my jack to make them align. 3 out of 4 times I raised the SAME SIDE as the arm I was working on, the last one required raising the OPPOSITE SIDE!
I installed the axle side first on each arm and then raised axle slightly to align the frame side (frame side is easier to reach)

It took me about 2 hours at a leisurely pace. Good luck!

I’ve got the OEM replacements and plan to replace all four this weekend.

Quick update: Installed new OEM rear control arms and that made a world of difference in the ride and the drive-ability. I am now chasing a clunk in the front that is certainly not sway bar link related as those were replaced not too long ago.

I reduced clunking in mine by replacing the 3 front diff bushings. Soon I plan to replace rear coils from arms, new extended sway links, and everything suspension wise will be replaced on mine.

Side note, I replaced my front upper control as with SPC because the ball joints were worn. And I wanted flexibility to replace just ball joint on the uca going forward. SPC is a decent product, seems less a bargain now they are $700+.

I reduced clunking in mine by replacing the 3 front diff bushings. Soon I plan to replace rear coils from arms, new extended sway links, and everything suspension wise will be replaced on mine.

Side note, I replaced my front upper control as with SPC because the ball joints were worn. And I wanted flexibility to replace just ball joint on the uca going forward. SPC is a decent product, seems less a bargain now they are $700+.

Good to know. BTW, I just replace the ball joints on both upper and lower control arm. $120 for 555 brand ones. I hear great things about SPC and other adjustable UCAs but fail to justify the price

Good to know. BTW, I just replace the ball joints on both upper and lower control arm. $120 for 555 brand ones. I hear great things about SPC and other adjustable UCAs but fail to justify the price

I should have held on to my OEM arms and messed with replacing the ball joints and bushings to have spares. I was paying $500 for those SPC and I've bought several. Not sure if I will for $750 going forward.

Few tips I got from this forum:
Keep the truck on it wheels when working on Rear CAs. Take the spare off to give you easier access to the rear mounts of the upper control arms. The nuts are the ones you want to loosen and then tighten and torque upon assembly, the bolts have ridges that catch on to the mounting brackets and don't really move (an excellent design IMO).
Do one arm at a time, otherwise it would be a nightmare to get the axle to align with the frame!
Finally, I had trouble lining up the holes with the new arms and each time I had to raise the axle housing slightly on my jack to make them align. 3 out of 4 times I raised the SAME SIDE as the arm I was working on, the last one required raising the OPPOSITE SIDE!
I installed the axle side first on each arm and then raised axle slightly to align the frame side (frame side is easier to reach)

It took me about 2 hours at a leisurely pace. Good luck!
Great advice. Thanks a bunch!

Replacement of those rear CA's is definitely something I want to do, or at least swap out the bushings. I think it will take out a slight clunk I've got. Glad to hear how it went for you.

Last edited:
Change of plans this weekend. I have been anxious to get my wiring project at least started so I put the rear UCAs and LCAs project on hold. See “what did you do to your 100 Series this week” for wiring post.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom