Do I need a new harmonic balancer? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

fyton2v

SILVER Star
Threads
Replaced the timing cover seal on my 2F. It seems that I may have not positioned the cover correctly when I reseated the pulley. I left the cover loose but perhaps I took too much time to put the pulley back on ... perhaps the FIPG firmed up and kept the cover a little off center. After running the engine for a while, the smell of burning rubber and the persistent squeak was a dead give away that I goofed. The two circumferential marks aren't very deep. In that spot there is a metal ring thing on the timing cover that sits behind the seal. You can tell it was rubbing there. The black mark is where the seal was rubbing and it doesn't appear to have gouged the pulley at all.

One thing that's odd is that this guy is very difficult to reseat. Other folks on Mud seem to mention they can push their pulley on by hand. Mine requires quite a bit of pounding and then I had to use the 46mm nut to get it the rest of the way. That takes a bit of time. Perhaps that hammering process could have been long enough for the Toyota FIPG to do its thing.

IMG_0083 Large.jpeg

Thinking about this and I may just try and reuse it. It's hard to see how imperfections at the top of the nose would make a difference. The sealing action all happens towards the pulley side, right? I think that when the cover and pulley are installed correctly, the block side of that nose shouldn't even make contact with any sealing surface. Where's the flaw in with that path?

Working on these trucks is crazy time-consuming. There is so much "feel" to some of the repairs that I end up doing every complex wrenching job 2 or 3 times. :) I've started buying 2 of every needed gasket or seal just to prep for the inevitable redo project.

I would probably just clean it up real nice with some crocus or emory cloth. Polish out that black mark and run it.
I put my HB in the oven for a bit before putting it on, don't know for sure if it helps, i have to use a hammer too.

Thanks Pighead. Definitely going to go that route. I have one more seal and gasket handy :).

One thing that's odd is that this guy is very difficult to reseat. Other folks on Mud seem to mention they can push their pulley on by hand. Mine requires quite a bit of pounding and then I had to use the 46mm nut to get it the rest of the way.

It's very likely the key and/or keyway are worn causing the seating issue.

Mine was so worn there was a clunking as I rotated the balancer pulley back and forth on the shaft. Replaced the key and gave the keyway a slight file and it got rid of the play and issues with seating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom