Do I need a knuckle rebuild and a water pump? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi is this just gunk or both soup? It drives fine from what I can tell.
I have been having the noise in the video and today I looked under my car and noticed the metal was wet looks like water doesn't have a smell, does that confirm its a water pump leak? Final question can I drive across the country with the front axle needing a rebuild and if it's the idle pulley wait till I get home to get that repaired?

20201116_114509.jpg

20201116_113936.jpg

20201116_113932.jpg

From your picture, it looks like at least one stud on the passenger side steering arm has backed out. That could cause some of the leaking at the knuckles. It can also cause bearing wear in the knuckle. I would check the torque of all the knuckle studs and nuts before driving anywhere.
The leak under the radiator should be traced and fixed before driving cross country. Is it radiator coolant or transmission coolant?

From your picture, it looks like at least one stud on the passenger side steering arm has backed out. That could cause some of the leaking at the knuckles. It can also cause bearing wear in the knuckle. I would check the torque of all the knuckle studs and nuts before driving anywhere.
The leak under the radiator should be traced and fixed before driving cross country. Is it radiator coolant or transmission coolant?
Not sure it was very clear and didn't have a smell I think the red hue might be from rust.

from your vid, wp looks dry. confirm there is leaking from the wp
The wetness could be leaking trans lines to radiator, coolant leaking, oil leaking... power steering cooler leak - the ps cooler hardline looks wet.
the sound could be a bad pulley, could be worn belts, bad alt or wp...

Ok I'll have the leak traced that is a relief that it probably isn't the WP. Can I drive back on a bad pully after tracing the leak?

from your vid, wp looks dry. confirm there is leaking from the wp
The wetness could be leaking trans lines to radiator, coolant leaking, oil leaking... power steering cooler leak - the ps cooler hardline looks wet.
the sound could be a bad pulley, could be worn belts, bad alt or wp...
I did notice that the ps does have a little leak.

Your balls are dry. Luckily they make an ointment for that.
1605573397673.png

Based on what mine looked like when I bought it, and how much grease I've added, and how yours look, I'd add 150 to 200 cc's of moly grease to each side.

View attachment 2497679
Based on what mine looked like when I bought it, and how much grease I've added, and how yours look, I'd add 150 to 200 cc's of moly grease to each side.
on a clip to paste it in
View attachment 2497679
Hahaha I'll definitely lube them up before setting off.

Last edited:
The noise in your first video is "loose" or worn belts on the alternator. You can tighten them with a 14MM deep well socket and a 12MM ratcheting combination wrench. Takes about 15 minutes. Don't break off your radiator nipple in the process.

Yeah the shop confirmed that thank you.
The noise in your first video is "loose" or worn belts on the alternator. You can tighten them with a 14MM deep well socket and a 12MM ratcheting combination wrench. Takes about 15 minutes. Don't break off your radiator nipple in the process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom