do i need a aux gas tank if so which?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
im planning on driving my newly restored/ refurbished (1978) fj40 diesel (1hz engine 20+mpg) through mexico and down to Peru. im all about off the pavement travel. the tub is currently off and being painted so now would be a good time to make changes. do i need a bigger tank? or is the stock tank plenty. is an aux tank a wise move for long range unknown fuel access and which one? under seat, under rear bed? or just use a couple of geri cans. vie never done this type excursion and want to prepare best i can any exp feed back is well appreciated.

Last edited:
If you are asking then I think you have your answer.

tank: Land Cruiser 4x4 (Tank includes 12 Gauge Skid Plate) To 1980

Switching valve:
Light Truck 6-Port Motor Driven Valve on Pollak
Read: https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/84831-man-fre-auxillary-tank-question-4.html#post3347585 post #75 nd #76.

I used the NWMP tank, the pollak valve, and an OEM sending unit (installed in the aux tank). When the toggle is switch between main and aux (faceplate comes with switch), the fuel gauge will switch too.

I would vote yes. in fact, you may want to think about doing the MAF underseat aux tank AND one under the rear deck. You can't have too much fuel.

If you have a pre 79 and go with the MAF tank...while your body is off, make sure to fit the tank before paint. The base of the tank is very square as the tub tapers. There is a little body remodeling required to get a good fit.

Also, I had to build new seat mounts with the Man a Fre Aux fuel cell. Since I am a cool guy....I also built enough for everyone (cheap product shill, yeah I know).

Pics of what to expect...

IMG_0674.jpg

IMG_0689.jpg

IMG_0816.jpg

Doc

whats the difference between the behind the rear axel mount and the under the seat tank? is there a slight top heavy feel or no noticeable diff with higher weight of the under seat set up? which is easier to install? total cost same or diff.

I was told a cheap aux tank mod that seemed to fit nicely under the rear tub was a Chevy Blazer tank but I cannot confirm this. Of course that is if you have a under the seat pre 75 rig. I really like the looks of that set up Hindsight posted! Excellent idea for a long haul. And I fully agree that you cannot have too much fuel when on an adventure such as you are planning. Routes often change and lead you way out of the original plan.

Rob

thanks so far great advise im checking all options. ill look up specs on the blazer tank
anyone else have an aux tank they like or don't like pros and cons of each? thanks

Somebody here on Mud, a couple years or so back, did that tank. It was an S10 Blazer tank, but I don't remember the vehicle years for that tank. As I remember it was a very close squeeze between the rear axle and tank.

Don

I would vote yes. in fact, you may want to think about doing the MAF underseat aux tank AND one under the rear deck. You can't have too much fuel.

If you have a pre 79 and go with the MAF tank...while your body is off, make sure to fit the tank before paint. The base of the tank is very square as the tub tapers. There is a little body remodeling required to get a good fit.

Also, I had to build new seat mounts with the Man a Fre Aux fuel cell. Since I am a cool guy....I also built enough for everyone (cheap product shill, yeah I know).

Pics of what to expect...

IMG_0674.jpg

IMG_0689.jpg

IMG_0816.jpg

Doc

How much are your brackets I'm ordering my MAF tank tomorrow.

I would certainly recommend more fuel. I did a cross country trip in my rig in May and certainly would have been nicer with a bigger tank.

Last edited:
Was it the 13 or the 22 gallon S10 fuel tank. ??

It has been a few years and I don't remember. I looked at the one linked in the post following yours and I'm thinking the one I saw was a different thread with more pictures and more details.

Don

I think fuel will be the least of your worries... I would strongly caution against such a trip at this time, but if you are committed, then spend A LOT of time researching the security situation and planning your route and timing accordingly. I'll get you started: Current Travel Warnings.
Also, you may want to look into the availability of diesel... It isn't what you may think it is in MX/S./C. America.
Yes, the wet blanket has been tossed.

Last edited:
Shaaa if you can't head south go..... North. Always wanted to check out 4 wheeling in Ga, or tenn. Good friendly people there. Either way need a bigger tank. 12gal ain't going to go far. Any more info on an Aux tank.

I've always wanted to drive through MX all the to tip of South America... It may still happen, but not until some things settle down, down there.
Anyway, I'm jealous of the diesel, for sure and the XL tank in hindsight's post is my pick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom