Do I have a problem with my tranny? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy folks.

Was camping in some sand dunes on a trip along the White Rim Trail last weekend.
White Rim and Beyond
I was jockying my 1993 80 around in the sand to get it parked just the way I wanted, and I found myself unable to move in high range, CD locked (added the switch).
No tires spinning in the sand, the tranny was just not able to get the wheels turn turn under the loaded truck. I have encountered this when crawling slowly through rough terrain in high range. 99% of the time, I have no problems--only when I'm trying to maneuver in rough terrain, high range, stopped or almost stopped.
Dropping into low always gets results, and I have never found myself without ample torque to the axles when crawling over moderate to difficult obstacles in low range.

Is this a problem? Is my tranny showing signs of wear?

Thanks for your time.

Ryan

Sounds pretty normal to me. You're asking alot by moving around in sand in high range. It would be the same as trying to climb a steep grade in high. Your torque converter stalls and you stop moving. Drop into low and you crawl right up.

You're putting a pretty good amount of load on the tranny by doing this in high range. While it probably did nothing other than generate a good amount of heat for a short period of time, I wouldn't make a habit of this. Low range is good. Use it.

Thanks Jon,
That is what I figured--but I don't know what the typical limitations of the torque converter are.

I never sit and wail away on the converter in high range--I'm always happy to put her into low, and if I feel my 80 is straining, I do just that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom