Do drum brakes really suck this much?! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have new late model FJ40 front discs, but most of my braking power seems to come from the rear drums- I can lock them up without any problem.

OK, how many of you guys are locking up your drum brakes while running 35" or larger Super Swampers?

i will tell you in a week i am going to a 34 super swampers

Well, I just popped all my drums off and inspected and adjusted my brakes out as far as I could. I took her out on a test drive, and I'm NOT impressed.

All my brake components were dry as a bone, and the shoes are on good condition. I think I'm gonna rebuild my master...

35X15.5X15 TSL-SX's, Cummins 6bt powertrain. This is a bit more weight than stock...

Maybe I'm pissing in the wind?

my 64 45LV(stock unboosted drums) stops VERY VERY well, prolly better then my 82 fj40's. takes very little pedal presure as well

cruiserbrett said:
a set of well tuned drum brakes will surprise you. I had non power assist drums, that had been recently serviced in my FJ45lwb and it would stop just as well as the non power assist disc front/drum rear that I have now.

I think people often don't take the time and expense to turn the drums. I know when I had mine done they looked very good to look at, even ware all alround. I told them they didn't need to turn them and they talked me into it. I thought they were just trying to make more money off me. I stood by them when they started turning the drums and was amazed. There was only a 1/2" section of the drum that was making contact at first. Took a long time before it had cut down to where contact was made all the way around. And it looked like a great drum to look at. I'm a firm believer now in turning the drums every time I do the shoes. I think the drums stop very well when they have good shoes and round drums. That being said, when I got the disks on the front I noticed some improvements to stopping and holding on hills, and better after water crossings.

my .02

troy

ppillard said:
Well, I just popped all my drums off and inspected and adjusted my brakes out as far as I could. I took her out on a test drive, and I'm NOT impressed.

All my brake components were dry as a bone, and the shoes are on good condition. I think I'm gonna rebuild my master...

35X15.5X15 TSL-SX's, Cummins 6bt powertrain. This is a bit more weight than stock...

Maybe I'm pissing in the wind?

Thick enough does not necessarily mean they are good.

I would get new pads and turn the drums. Its cheap, and thats probably all you need.

I have a 71 and the brakes take UNGODLY amounts of leg strength to bring it to a stop. The brake pedal pulsates bad as well. I think I’m going to go disc

I have a 71 and the brakes take UNGODLY amounts of leg strength to bring it to a stop. The brake pedal pulsates bad as well. I think I’m going to go disc

If you unhook the booster and do not feel any change in the brakes, then you will know that your booster is bad. That would explain your description.

I agree with Mark... although pulsing indicates more issues.

I went 4 disc, and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Drums that need machining, shoes that are pooched, etc.

Hard to say for sure. Shouldn’t feel pulses

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom