do battery terminal connections wear out? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, the original OEM positive battery connection on my 2000 100 series seems to loosen on its own. Every year or so, the truck won't start and I will have to re-tighten it. Attached is a photo. Is the terminal connection something that I should replace? Or is there a fix like putting loc-tite on it? Maybe I am just not cranking down on it hard enough with the socket wrench, but I don't want to break it either. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Merry Christmas!

IMG_0067.jpg

I was pleased with the quality of a generic auto one one i bought in a pinch. $7.

Replace with what @tip posted.

Some aftermarket terminals have about 0.5 V drop right at the terminal. Stay with OEM.

If only the battery lasted 20 yrs, the terminal wouldn't 'wear out.' Every time you loosen and tighten the terminal, it stretches out a little. They do make shims to take up the gap between terminal and post but that's not the best solution, especially given the low cost of a new terminal.

Thanks everybody for your thoughts on this- I have ordered a replacement positive terminal. That is the side that loosens itself.

Does it make sense to replace the negative harness/terminal also? That seems to still be going strong, but is 22 years old.

thx, Scott

Thanks everybody for your thoughts on this- I have ordered a replacement positive terminal. That is the side that loosens itself.

Does it make sense to replace the negative harness/terminal also? That seems to still be going strong, but is 22 years old.

thx, Scott
When working on the vehicle, most people will only remove the positive terminal, so it stands to reason that the positive will lose effectiveness first (regarding loss of clamping ability). Every original battery terminal that I've ever needed to replace for loss of clamping ability was the positive, so this theory holds true...at least by MY experience. That said, do whatever you think makes sense based on what you see; you might not be able to find one that's an easy replacement if you need one in a pinch at the local parts store.

Actually, the first terminal that should be removed is the ground terminal. The reason why ground terminal last so long is the way it is constructed. Its a full metal brace while positive is two metal stripes which tend to expand with time.

So far I have replaced the ground terminal on the Hilux after about 30 years of service. Yes ,several positive terminals on the hilux.

Shops usually use power tools to tighten these clamps, which is an overkill. Just sung the nut, and check whether the terminal moves of you try to wiggle the terminal.

A loose ground terminal can kill the rectifier inside the alternator.

Removing the ground is the better choice for safety reasons as well. When your metal wrench touches the adjacent exposed metal, it doesn't short it out or cause sparks. And then there is that hydrogen gas thing....

Actually, the first terminal that should be removed is the ground terminal.

Removing the ground is the better choice for safety reasons as well.
Both correct. I apologize for writing "most people will only remove the positive terminal". My mind at the time was thinking back to a few conversations I've had with, and/or about, 'mechanics' at Jiffy Lube-type places. Was actually talking about that this morning with a neighbor so I guess I assumed that all of you could read my mind! Thanks to MUD for catching me on that one.

Both correct. I apologize for writing "most people will only remove the positive terminal". My mind at the time was thinking back to a few conversations I've had with, and/or about, 'mechanics' at Jiffy Lube-type places. Was actually talking about that this morning with a neighbor so I guess I assumed that all of you could read my mind! Thanks to MUD for catching me on that one.
No worries! Just a positive to a Negative..

The only time I take my car to a shop is to get an alignment (also I politely ask them not to check any fluids) otherwise, no outside mechanic touches any of my cars. My 2021 Taco had 2 free services and nope.. I did it at home so I know it is done properly though there will be no records of service history on toyota.. but I don't care because I am not selling it or any of my Toys!

I did it at home so I know it is done properly though there will be no records of service history on toyota
I think you can override this in Toyota’s system through the Toyota Owners portal and add your own services with dates, mileage, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom