Do aux. fluid coolers block radiator cooling? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got an aftermarket 19x26 aluminum radiator to cool my SBC. I still have yet to drive this thing, but am getting closer. I am running a 700R4 tranny and currently doing a saginaw power steering conversion. I have to have a tranny cooler and power steering cooler. This may be a stupid question, but with both of these mounted on my radiator, will it effect / hinder my radiators cooling ability?

74ff75cf.jpg

Nick

Yes, it will decrease airflow, but it might still be enough to adequately cool your motor provided you have a good shroud and fan setup. I would try it with temporary attachments, if it works well then make them semi-permanent.

They will decrease your cooling capacity, but you for sure need the trans cooler. You might consider mouting the PS cooler somewhere else, but I think you'll be ok. As other persson above noted...key part is getting good air flow across the radiator. Shroud is very important if running mechanical fan.

You might consider hard mounts rather then the straps that run through your radiator core for cooler install? Home fabed brackets or other options. Just an idea.

I second the motion on the permanent fabbed mounts! After you test it and find it to be adequate of course. I destroyed a copper/brass radiator core using those mount straps you have there...it was most painful to deal with a long way from home! Run some 1/2" strap across the front of the radiator from side to side, and mount the cooler to that...you will be much happier!

Cheers!

i mounted my ...

power steering cooler to the driver side of the radiator, moved the horn back. my power steerning pump is on that side too.

Ok, thanks for the info on the hard straps vs. what I have on there now. I'm working on a shroud right now and will just have to see how my cooling looks like once I get her on the road and the Texas summers get here.

Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom