Do 89-90 FJ62’s have different rear wheel well covers than earlier years (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJ40 MATT

SILVER Star
Threads
I’m working on a 89 FJ62 that has rear seat belts on the pillars and seems like the wheel well covers I have off a 85 FJ60 don’t line up. I’m assuming they changed the wheel well covers to fit the seat belts behind them but haven’t had to many later year FJ62’s. Any help would be appreciated

53A52E75-EA61-4D86-8105-F2C0758BE7DE.jpeg

A2300262-ECFD-4BA1-880F-AC8014497557.jpeg

If anyone has pictures of their 89-90 rear cargo area with the wheel well covers so I have a better idea of what I need it would help a lot.

Thanks guys 🍻

Is 88 different? I can get photos of my 88 parts truck if not.

@FJ40 MATT
I've been making cargo panels for 60s for about a year now and there is a difference in the wheel well cover/cargo panel interface area and I think it follows the 1985 model tweak. The bump out piece in your hand - which is part of the wheel well cover - exists on the driver's side on all 60s/62s I've seen, and at least on early 60s it cover the main wiring harness run to the back (and possibly exists to have accomodated non-US market trucks if those had a 3-pt belt). On those pre-85 trucks that bump out does not exist on the passenger side - the cargo panel comes flush with the curve of the wheel well. It appears on or about the 1985 split.

So pre-85 will be missing that bump out on the passenger side. At least in assessing that stuff for my ABS replacement panels that's what I've come across. Hope it helps.

@FJ40 MATT
I've been making cargo panels for 60s for about a year now and there is a difference in the wheel well cover/cargo panel interface area and I think it follows the 1985 model tweak. The bump out piece in your hand - which is part of the wheel well cover - exists on the driver's side on all 60s/62s I've seen, and at least on early 60s it cover the main wiring harness run to the back (and possibly exists to have accomodated non-US market trucks if those had a 3-pt belt). On those pre-85 trucks that bump out does not exist on the passenger side - the cargo panel comes flush with the curve of the wheel well. It appears on or about the 1985 split.

So pre-85 will be missing that bump out on the passenger side. At least in assessing that stuff for my ABS replacement panels that's what I've come across. Hope it helps.

F5C083B4-9812-41DE-B930-EF569B69CE39.jpeg

Mine has a seatbelt retractor on the pillar so I think they must of changed the wheel well covers to fit the retractor in it. I just can’t find any pictures

Mine has a seatbelt retractor on the pillar so I think they must of changed the wheel well covers to fit the retractor in it. I just can’t find any pictures
This is the only photo I can get right now. You're looking at the forward end of the interior cargo panels for a pre-85 60. Driver's side - on the left - has that notch cut out. Passenger side - on the right - has no notch. The wheel well covers cover the area where the notch is (and probably your lower seatbelt retractor).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom