Dmaddox's 1978 FJ40 Rustic Green Refresh (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dmaddox

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello crew....

As many of you know (or followed) my last restoration was a 63 swb fj45. You can check the 45 section for the events leading up to this new cruiser, but in short.....I had in my mind the "ultimate cruiser" that I had always wanted. Not to be specific...but it included:

1. As close to 12/77 as possible (my birthday).
2. T621 Rustic Green (mmm delicious color).
3. Stock body (no diamond plating (see other thread, lol) and no hack-jobs/fender flares).
4. Stock drive-train and engine-bay.

After lots of emails and phone calls a fellow mud-member and I came to an agreement and last weekend, I found myself on a one-way flight 1600 miles away!

That's right....I was intending on driving it back :)

Here is what the cruiser looked like when I arrived:
photo0.jpg

So, after meeting some cruiser heads and making some new friends the transaction was complete and I was on the road. (I apologize - I didn't bring the good camera).

photo6.jpg

What you dont see in the above picture is me going "YahoooooOOOO!"

Cruising.....
photo7.jpg

Time for gas.... (average for the 1600 miles trip was 14.4MPG)
photo1.jpg

About 400 miles into the trip I pulled in for gas and lost the clutch! As I came to a stop the clutch pedal just slopped to the floor. Turns out the clutch slave decided to die on me. It took me several hours of "rpm shifting" to get to a parts store (that was open and had the part).

A little while later the wipers decided to barf out on me (was an easy fix), but scary in the rain!

More beautiful cruising!

photo-1.jpg

Getting closer to Cold-orado

photo8.jpg

When I got home I made an appointment with the tire shop and selected 5 BFGoodrich 33x10.50x15 KM2 Mud Terrain. I wanted the original mud terrains, but they are no longer available (that 7 shops could find).

So, anyhow - I mounted the tires, made a few repairs and fixes, set the timing and idle speed, etc.... and tonight took it out for a maiden voyage.

How many cruisers can you count in this picture?

photo3.jpg

photo2.jpg

My brother and I had a really fun and rather beautiful drive. Being up in the mountains outside of Monument, Colorado - looked like something out of a Tolkein book. Very gorgeous and with the new cruiser ..... was just a really neat time.

photo.jpg

photo4.jpg

on the way down:

photo5.jpg

I am going to keep this thread as active as I can. My plans are to button up a few more little issues and then add mini-truck power steering. . .after which - you'll see me at my first Cruise Moab :)

This next winter I will begin a full dismantle and restore. (pending life's curve-balls).

Thanks for looking!

Dallas

Last edited:
Nice rig or rigs in your case. Is that the stock height? Any issues with the KM2 with the stock height. Thinking of getting a set just wondering if you have issues. Thanks

very cool trip. you found a parts store with fj parts in stock? glad the clutch was only a small set back for you.

Looks great, my 76 should be looking simmilar soon. Also have a slave cylinder repair in the works.

How many cruisers can you count in this picture....(my wife rolls her eyes)

photo2.jpg

Ummm....4? Two 40's, one 55, and one 80 that I see. Nice garage mate and I great score on that new 40!

I hear ya bout the wife...funny thing is mine just said she wants a 40 of her own :D.

-Ed

Thanks fellas for all the comments!!

Three 40's (smurf blue is hiding in the mid-section of the garage).
An FJ45 (headed to Puerto Rico sometime this next week, parked in front of the 80)
An FJ55 (PabloCruise's)
An FZJ80 (DD)

I was going to say, that is a fine looking Pig in the garage there!!!

Glad to see the 45 is still there...

Peace,

Congrats

Great color too.

BTW the Rustic Green ones are the Strongest

Great rig!! Nice score. Pics # 2, 3 & 5 sure look like the Columbia River Gorge. Beautiful area.

Don

You stole my comment handcannon. I've driven from Portland to Denver 4 times and I was about to say that sure looks like the Gorge.

If it is I'm really disappointed, I thought we made a law in Oregon that doesn't allow cruisers as nice as that out of the state.

Dmaddox... I can relate to finding the dream cruiser, I just knew I had to buy mine last summer when I found out it was a 10/78. The month and year we were both born!!!

Good luck, I'll be watching for posts.:cheers:

You stole my comment handcannon. I've driven from Portland to Denver 4 times and I was about to say that sure looks like the Gorge.

:cheers:

I've been up and back through the Gorge so many times I can't begin to count. Made the trip up to Walla Walla WA four times in the past two months. I never get tired of the scenery.

Don

N I C E FIND!!!!!!!! congrat's cool rig for sure, and ya drove her home-----way cool. i like road trips!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom