dmaddox's 1970 Plymouth Roadrunner Restoration and Information Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dmaddox

SILVER Star
Threads
FIRST: Yes, I know this is a Mopar and is off-topic. But, I am a member of this community and don't know any real mopar heads nor am I a member (yet) of any mopar sites. I primarily "restore" Cruisers - but about six years ago I ran into this, was smitten and so I thought I'd share with you what I have been up to in addition to FJ's and BJ's.
I had just brought her home (Mrs. Maddox was NOT happy) - previous owner used CHEAP primer which hid bondo over 1/2" thick!!!!!!!!!!
IMG_3929.jpg

IMG_4147.jpg

That is exactly what I said.....what the heck is it? Notice the cowling was cut in half.
Good news - it is a really rare 1970 Plymouth RoadRunner, complete numbers matching.
383, air grabber hood, rare citron poly mist color, 4 speed pistol grip, and all the cool fixins.

It was for sale BECAUSE the current owner:

1. Destroyed the restoration process. There were parts, bolts, pieces, trim, everywhere. Nothing was labled.
2. He had the engine rebuilt by a nationally known engine builder, it was 1/2 way through the build process and couldn't pay the bill on the work done. (So the engine was being held hostage).
3. No room, bills, money, the usual things we can run into.

It was rusty - luckily not the fenders, but it was rusty - wrecked (slid into a guard rail), and torn to pieces.

I started by cutting the cowling out of a donor car (along with the driver floor) and solving those problems:
IMG_4146.jpg

IMG_4193.jpg

Previous owner also hacked out a strange diamond-like shape hole here:
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h163/cinez/IMG_4103.jpg[/IMG
This project was not overwhelming at all....
[IMG]http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h163/cinez/IMG_4111.jpg
Well, it is a really rare 1970 Plymouth RoadRunner, complete numbers matching.
Then I had to get busy with the engine. I paid off the engine builder and had him complete it. Keith Black pistons, slightly aggressive cam, MSD ignition, and a few other hidden goodies. I also had him dyno it and run it in for an additional fee.
After it was completed, it was ready too install, timing set, 405 hp, 410 ft. lbs of torque:
IMG_4769.jpg

After that 5,000 bill - I moved back onto the body, welding in a new trunk and finishing the floors. What can't an angle grinder and a wire feed welder fix in the auto body world?
IMG_4113.jpg

IMG_4115.jpg

Breakfast in......the trunk.
IMG_3927.jpg

Ready for the new trunk floor:
IMG_4117.jpg

After steel was in, I used:
IMG_4142.jpg

New trunk primered and sealed:
IMG_4138.jpg

IMG_4141.jpg

IMG_4140.jpg

More floor work:
IMG_3928.jpg

Now - to take the entire body down to steel....by hand.
downtosteel.jpg

I had to cut out the bottom of the rear driver:
IMG_4143.jpg

to be continued . . .

. . .the trunk had a JC Whitney "wing" on it.....no wing came on this one. So I welded shut the holes and fixed the trunk.
trunkfix.jpg

While waiting for other supplies....
I contacted Boyd Coddington (Welcome to Boyd Coddington Wheels) and have them custom make me some wheels.
This is the ONLY non OEM part of the car.
Front: 17x7
Rear 18X12 (Hoosier D.O.T. drag radials 315.30.18)
It took Boyd Coddington 6 months to deliver these custom made wheels:
649d36a1.jpg

15284da6.jpg

5a9300de.jpg

f770d6dd.jpg

They look beautiful....but this is all the peaking you get for now.
More fine hand work:
lotsofilller.jpg

downtosteel.jpg

POR 15 the enderside and 1st coat of primer....
por15.jpg

Using light coats of filler on the huge Plymouth fenders to make it perfect. . .
finalfiller.jpg

Final primer
primer1.jpg

DallasMaddoxRR1.jpg

FINALLY....seeing some of that lushious FY4 Citron Poly Mist
Just after jambing the car....
rrresto2.jpg

Engine bay:
rrjam1.jpg

Interior jambed:
rrjam2.jpg

Exterior of the doors and fenders:
rrjam4.jpg

rrjam3.jpg

Body exterior, hood and trunk are next....
Stay tuned to my BJ42 thread as well, I hope to have updates later this week.
Thanks for allowing this off-topic build, I love sharing my passions!
-dallas

:popcorn:

Subscribed!

Sweet! I grew up around those and other sweet hot rods.
We always had GTO's as our family car. A 67, 68 and later a 74. My 2 uncles always had Dart's and RoadRunners.

Sweet pics.

Cool. I would have gone with Torque Thrust rather than Boyds, but it's not my car. I have a '66 Coronet 2-dr HT with a 440 that never gets driven anymore. :rolleyes:

Mopar man for the first 10 years of my driving life ...
LOVE the color.
i ran big blocks and small blocks, those old Mopars will put up with a hell of a lot of abuse.

good for you, subscribed.

Cool. I would have gone with Torque Thrust rather than Boyds, but it's not my car. I have a '66 Coronet 2-dr HT with a 440 that never gets driven anymore. :rolleyes:

I had a deal with a wholesaler....so I got a deal I couldn't pass up. Plus, they were willing to make the size and offset I needed - so I took them up without a whole lot of research on the topic. I'm sure there are lots of great alternatives.

Fire up that Coronet man!

Thank you for all of the compliments!

First you build that killer FJ45 now you're doing a 'par. Come on man you're making me feel bad for not getting to the '74 Corvette and '70 Chevelle in my garage yet.

Edit: Paint looks good! :grinpimp:

Doors are finished being painted - alpine white inside.

Yes - the PO hacked for speakers, lame. Will be hidden with door panels however.

doors1.jpg

doors2.jpg

Now we are working on the front end, piecing it together first, and then will remove it to put the engine on, etc..

shocks3.jpg

shocks2.jpg

shocks1.jpg

kframe2.jpg

kframe1.jpg

kfram3.jpg

I have to get a new pitman arm. The stupid things are 150 bucks. I wish they would have designed them with a removable ball joint, but its all one pieces which means you have to replace the entire arm. Stupid.

Long delay - but much has been going on - sorry.

Wrestling the big block into place:

enginein6.jpg

Settled in:

rr1.jpg

Another:

fenders1.jpg

Painting the cowling area to match the hood (black goes all the way back):

hooddone1.jpg

Another:

hooddone2.jpg

383 Emblem:

383.jpg

Rearing to go:

IMG_0862.jpg

OEM Battery Delivered. Expensive buggers. . .

battery.jpg

Painless wiring harness delivered. Expensive buggers too!

painless.jpg

Fixing decals:

stripe.jpg

Butt end:

rearend.jpg

I put 4.10's in the rear. 410 hp to those tires should be fun. Well, more spicey than a 2F anyhow.

Radiator, Interior, and glass is all that's left. Well, bumpers too I guess.

It's a good thing I am rebuilding a BJ42 at the same time.

get back to work on that BJ42!

Hey, great work though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom