DLC Official Colorado 2021 Trip Planning (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bama4door

Supporting Vendor
Threads
This has been in the works for the past couple of years, but COVID didn't do us any favors this year. 2021 DLC will be planning a trip to Colorado around Silverton/Ouray/Telluride.

Tentative dates are the week of July 26-30, which happens to be the same dates for Hundreds in the Hills. I think we should try and head out Friday the 23th or Saturday the 24th.

Anyone is welcome to join, bring family, etc. You can also drive whatever Cruiser you have, this is not specific to 100 series. We will be doing our own group trail rides outside of the HIH event.

There are plenty of primitive camping spots around Silverton/Ouray, as well as plenty of Airbnb's and VRBO rentals if you wish. Realistically I think some of us will camp some nights and get a cabin/hotel other nights to keep the spouses happy.

I believe we will have some spouses flying in/out of Denver or a surrounding airports to meet us out there or meet us back home.

Any feedback, suggestions, comments are welcome. Use this thread to discuss camp locations, trails we want to run, sites we want to see, etc.

Of course I'm in, probably pulling my M416 trailer again. Its 24 hrs to silverton. I like to leave Thursday after work, drive 5 hrs to across the MS river, drive all day Friday to West Texas, then arrive Saturday afternoon to allow time to setup. Start on the Eastern side and head West. Going home, i just drive two longs days.

For flying back, the airport in Albequerque has been good to drop people off on the way back since it has southwest flights and is on the way home from Silverton.

Here are the caltopo links to some of our past trips. caltopo allows you to plan the route then create a GPX file to use in gaia.

In with the plus one. Creature comforts will be a must. Maybe pull trailer, maybe not, but will be spending at least some nights in quarters.

Of course I'm in, probably pulling my M416 trailer again. Its 24 hrs to silverton. I like to leave Thursday after work, drive 5 hrs to across the MS river, drive all day Friday to West Texas, then arrive Saturday afternoon to allow time to setup. Start on the Eastern side and head West. Going home, i just drive two longs days.

For flying back, the airport in Albequerque has been good to drop people off on the way back since it has southwest flights and is on the way home from Silverton.

Here are the caltopo links to some of our past trips. caltopo allows you to plan the route then create a GPX file to use in gaia.

That's pretty slick, thanks for posting these up. I would be up for leaving Thursday afternoon as well.

A Southwest friendly airport would be ideal, ABQ is a cool city as well. We will be stopping in Denver for at least a night or 2 (either beg. or end of trip) to see family that lives there.

In with the plus one. Creature comforts will be a must. Maybe pull trailer, maybe not, but will be spending at least some nights in quarters.
my plus one is coming too. If i bring the trailer, we'll have 25 gallon water tanks and the hot water shower setup. I bring a 20gallon bbq propane tank (sitting in a milk crate) to have plenty of gas. Also have the CVT bathtoom/shower tent to use. We'll make sure everything works before heading out. From our past trips, alternating a camping night with a airbnb/hotel night works well. Also best to have seperate camp facilities for the ladies and men on opposite ends of the camp too.
That's pretty slick, thanks for posting these up. I would be up for leaving Thursday afternoon as well.

A Southwest friendly airport would be ideal, ABQ is a cool city as well. We will be stopping in Denver for at least a night or 2 (either beg. or end of trip) to see family that lives there.
certainly could start up there or . Lots of possibilities. we need to form a general plan with multiple options for each night. Wildfires, full campsites, rock slides, etc changes things. plenty of time though to figure to headcounts etc.

Alright guys I realize we are still early in the game but the wife and I are 100% committed to this trip. Right now our plan is to leave BHM that Friday (23rd) and arrive into Silverton late in the afternoon on Saturday. We will likely stop and rest in ABQ in between. My question is, when is everyone else planning to arrive into the area and when do we think we'll start hitting trails? I'd like to do 1 or 2 full days of wheeling/exploring with the group but I just didn't want us to arrive to late.

Alright guys I realize we are still early in the game but the wife and I are 100% committed to this trip. Right now our plan is to leave BHM that Friday (23rd) and arrive into Silverton late in the afternoon on Saturday. We will likely stop and rest in ABQ in between. My question is, when is everyone else planning to arrive into the area and when do we think we'll start hitting trails? I'd like to do 1 or 2 full days of wheeling/exploring with the group but I just didn't want us to arrive to late.
I just booked Caylee and Sam a flight into Denver on Friday 7/23. I'm planning to leave Bham Thursday and pick them up at the airport Friday in Denver. We're going to spend a few days there visiting family and I will probably head to Silverton on Sunday or Monday.

Its 18 hrs from Bham to ABQ. i did it back in 2013 and now cap my driving at 12 hrs. I really don't know how I made it home running on caffeine.

I don't plan on getting to Silverton until Tues 7/27 or Wed 7/28. I'll be riding with a couple of guys from LA and TX as well as DLC and we always start in the Eastern Plains/Front Range side of Colorado and make our way South West to Silverton. I've done both, roamed around and gone straight to Silverton/San Juans, and really enjoy the roaming around before arriving in Silverton. 3-4 days of wheeling/camping in the San Juans is plenty IMO.

One thing to remember this year is 100s in the hills is in Silverton and the 200 series event booked their event in Ouray the same weekend for some reason. Going to be a lot cruisers around.

Its 18 hrs from Bham to ABQ. i did it back in 2013 and now cap my driving at 12 hrs. I really don't know how I made it home running on caffeine.

I don't plan on getting to Silverton until Tues 7/27 or Wed 7/28. I'll be riding with a couple of guys from LA and TX as well as DLC and we always start in the Eastern Plains/Front Range side of Colorado and make our way South West to Silverton. I've done both, roamed around and gone straight to Silverton/San Juans, and really enjoy the roaming around before arriving in Silverton. 3-4 days of wheeling/camping in the San Juans is plenty IMO.

One thing to remember this year is 100s in the hills is in Silverton and the 200 series event booked their event in Ouray the same weekend for some reason. Going to be a lot cruisers around.
Yeah BHM-ABQ is a bit ambitious but we're gonna try to stick to it haha. I've seen a couple of threads about those events happening the same time DLC was going to be there so we'll get our campsite/Airbnb squared away well before then. We're looking forward to it! Want to try and link up with as much of the DLC crew as we can!

Yeah BHM-ABQ is a bit ambitious but we're gonna try to stick to it haha. I've seen a couple of threads about those events happening the same time DLC was going to be there so we'll get our campsite/Airbnb squared away well before then. We're looking forward to it! Want to try and link up with as much of the DLC crew as we can!
Once we get firm commitments from those who are going, then we can really start linking up logistics. We can put everything in caltopo so anyone can come and go as they please and still find the group. Out there, cell coverage is iffy at best in the mountains away from cities, so everyone will need coms to communicate.

HIH is officially cancelled for this year.

Screenshot_20210422-055712.png

The 6ft social distance rule and insurance are the problems.

Now that we're back from CO and getting back in the swing of things at home, I wanted to share the google photo album we put together.

DLC/MCC Colorado Trip 2021 - https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNXLeEmx52LhkXAVwzYdj5YTvy3Z7h_ka0TOAZwdqQTUciq4L4zjwEkQtwGtIMB1Q?key=Z0R6bXVGVzI5Uk55NURXQVNKZlBfbGJZdjZzZ3pn

We could not have asked for a better group of guys (and gals) on this trip. Everyone had a great time and we didn't have any major issues. Joel @Tennessee80 did end up having a small brake issue, but was able to get a new wheel cylinder in Montrose.

We are already looking at a destination for 2022, hope you guys can join us next year!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom