Dizzy Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an easy question for the right person. My 74, 2f engine quit running last weekend. I was driving along and all of a sudden it lost all power and started to sputter and die. I'm not sure if this is a carb issue or a dizzy issue. I took the cap off of the distributor to look at it. I have NO idea what I'm looking at/for but one thing that I noticed seems wrong. I'm not a mechanic and know next to nothing about distributors so my terminology will likely be bass-akward.

The points touch on one end of an arm, the other end of the arm is attached to a solid pivot point. The hole of the point arm in my cruiser is bigger than the pivot "stud". It seems like there should be a spacer in there so it is a snug fit. It also seems that without this spacer, it would be hard for the points to work properly.

The picture below shows what I'm talking about.

If anyone has been able to follow my authentic frontier gibberish, please let me know if this could be the cause of my troubles.

Thanks!:beer:

attachment.php

IMG00146-20110602-1817.jpg

Good catch. I'd bet your points are welded shut. New (correct part) points, set right, and a cleaned out dizzy housing should have you running much better. John

If you turn the engine over and look at the points, are you getting a gap? New points are really inexpensive, and if things are worn out, at least it's a cheap fix.

Yes, I get a gap. They're not welded together or anything, but I can't imagine being able to adjust the gap based on the "looseness" of the points. Are points something I can pick up at the corner auto parts store?

Yes, I get a gap. They're not welded together or anything, but I can't imagine being able to adjust the gap based on the "looseness" of the points. Are points something I can pick up at the corner auto parts store?

If you find an old NAPA they may have a set on the shelf. Any of the LC parts purveyors will have them on the shelf. I would drop a Pertronix conversion in there and rid yourself of the points forever.

That's a good point and leads me to my next question. I think it's a 76 2f, I think. I just learned the hard way that going to NAPA and getting the 74 points will not work. I'm assuming that the 75+ version will be what I need. Do the pictures I posted in post 1 show a "semi electronic" ignition?

Looks just like my june 77 2F Dizzy innards. Not confirming, but just sayin'...

I got the right points this afternoon, put it in, and everything works just fine. I can't believe a 7 dollar part could do it. I was all set to spend big bucks to have someone else look at it. Thank you for the help!

look behind your distrubitur , on the back of the right side of the motor and you should see a serial number starting with 2f if it is a real

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom