Dizzy Q (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

matt.mcinnes

2F-ETI
Threads
Measured the two dizzys I have at work and over all though side buy side they look a little different I recon the 3F-E dizzy will fit a 2F block.

Now saying that there were a few minor differences.

The 2F dizzy measured to the point where it seats in the block 122mm from the tip that locates in to the oil pump. The 3F-E dizzy measures 120mm which means when bolted up their is 2mm less engaged to drive the oil pump.

The gear all though the same distance from the tip of the dizzy will sit 2mm higher as well.

The easiest soloution seems to be to strip the 3F-E dizzy down and machine 2mm off where it seats to the block. Not too hard to do.

Before I go down that road does any one have a 2F dizzy laying around they can measure for some comparrisons.

100_1762-1.jpg

Last edited:
Just use it, it will be fine. You know to make sure the oil pump is engauged, I'm sure.

lots of people have used a 2F block and a 3F Fuel injection/head.

Drop it in and run it..

A 2F dizzy with the full electronic ignition looks nothing like the 3fe dizzy pictured..

i replaced mine 2 weeks ago just checked the one i pulled out
and it is indeed 122mm
i have an 84 fj 60
hope this helps
:cheers:

Thanks for that been an 84 model I'll take a guess at that been a 2F.

The 2F dizzy I used came from around 1976 so it seems so far a 2F sits 122mm.

Keep them cumming boys

The reason for this question is on both the above dizzys there is a contact wear mark each 5mm long (you can see it in the photo). If the 3F-E is 2mm shorter when seated this reduces the contact by almost 50%. Hence my Q, I agree you could just drop it in BUT are we/ am I pushing the limit?

Last edited:
I don't see how 2mm can reduce the contact patch by 50%.

I would suspect that the contact patch moves to make up for the distance difference

I don't see how 2mm can reduce the contact patch by 50%.

I would suspect that the contact patch moves to make up for the distance difference

I think you miss understand, the contact/wear mark is on the leading edge of the shaft that engages the oil pump best seen here on the 2F dizzy as it's a little more worn been a good 15 years older than the 3F-E dizzy,

100_1763.jpg

The depth of the contact mark is 5mm, if the 3F-E dizzy only seats to 120mm rather than the 2F 122mm this contact area will be reduced by 2mm, in doing so this reduces contact area to 3mm almost half the original contact area on both the 3F-E and 2F dizzy's.

The reason I posted this in the 60 forum is due to the fact that the 2F through to the 3F-E is covered in 60's to 62 series LandCruisers and the request for anyone to measure one if they have one laying around would help with the desision on machining the 3F-E Dizzy

Last edited:
Maybe these pics will help. The distributor on the left is one for a 3FE, on the right from a FJ60. The 3FE distributor is NIB and has a plastic protector on the tip, I pulled it off for the later photo. Holding the distributors end to end I could see no significant difference in lengths with regard to the portion which is inserted into the block. This was just a quick comparison if you need other photos or measurements let me know.
IMG_4874.JPG
IMG_4879.JPG

Maybe these pics will help. The distributor on the left is one for a 3FE, on the right from a FJ60. The 3FE distributor is NIB and has a plastic protector on the tip, I pulled it off for the later photo. Holding the distributors end to end I could see no significant difference in lengths with regard to the portion which is inserted into the block. This was just a quick comparison if you need other photos or measurements let me know.

If you have time can you tell me the measurment from tip to where it seats on the block on those. As show in the first post

Oh yeh in metric too if you don't mind:D

thanks goodwin.

Many thanks for taking the time to do that.

Starting to think the earlier 2F's sat a littel deeper for some reason.

Well if no one is going to say DON'T DO IT I think I will machine 2mm off the 3F-E dizzy where it seat on the block when the time comes:)

I wouldn't even worry about that 2mm myself..

I'd just drop it in. Look at how many people use the HEI stuff..

OK so some 2F distributors are 122 and some (electronic) are 120. Are the blocks/oil pumps the same? If they are then it would seem that Toyota didn't find the 2mm difference to be a big deal. I'm asking because my 2FE is going together with an '84 block.

Jim - what year is the 2F distributor in your photos?

OK so some 2F distributors are 122 and some (electronic) are 120. Are the blocks/oil pumps the same? If they are then it would seem that Toyota didn't find the 2mm difference to be a big deal. I'm asking because my 2FE is going together with an '84 block.

Jim - what year is the 2F distributor in your photos?

I woundered about the oil pump and block myself but until I pull my 2F apart this will remain a mystery, hence the when the time comes statement.

With my 2F-ETI been Turbo'd too I was just concerned about the reducing the contact area, as the strain on all parts will be greatly increased.

I think that the oil pump is different if the 2F has an oil cooler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom