Dizzy for 2F (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I seized an engine in my 1972 FJ-40 and got a 2F out of a 1985 FJ-60 as a donor motor. Long story short it has been a long journey to get the engine rebuilt, correct components fitted to it and the final steps to get it started. My next step is to get the distributor installed. I have read numerous sections on dizzy installation but still have some questions. Question #1 is a 2F Large Cap distributor better than a new distributor with electronic ignition? Second question is I can not get either distributor to drop in, the old one or the new one off of my F engine. YES I have checked to make sure the slot is lined up. Any suggestions? I am a bit frustrated at this point and really am hoping someone can help. I attached a previous thread that seemed to be the same problem I am having. I have included pictures for reference. Any help is appreciated.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fj60-dizzy-in-place-of-a-fj40-dizzy.845118/#post-9642349

Dizzy Install (4).JPG

Dizzy Install (5).JPG

Dizzy Install (1).JPG

If you are using the 85 fj60 dizzy you will need the ignition module for the dizzy, this was usually on top of the coil on the fender, your setup doesn't have this ignitor. You may have to use that new dizzy with internal ignition regardless.

To install the dizzy i would follow coolermans directions here.

http://www.globalsoftware-inc.com/coolerman/fj40/5F.htm

What kind of after market dizzy is that? Doesn't look very close to the one pulled from the engine.

FWIW - If you haven't done this: When installing a correct dizzy into a 2F for the first time, be sure to oil the "O-Ring" before trying to attempt this. That "O-ring" does not like going in dry.....Yea, BTDT!

When I installed the '86 2F into my '77, I used a Trollhole dizzy and the original '77 coil & ballast resistor, but disconnected the OEM igniter.

...is a 2F Large Cap distributor better than a new distributor with electronic ignition?

The late 2F big cap dizzy is an electronic one. Better? I don't know, but it's made for that engine and is the acme of Toyota distributor development. I run one on my 1980 40 and really like it, and it's been stone reliable to boot. Look inside to make sure it's not rusty. If the evacuation plumbing has not been working, the advance mechanism can get rusted and not work.

Second question is I can not get either distributor to drop in, the old one or the new one off of my F engine. YES I have checked to make sure the slot is lined up. Any suggestions? I am a bit frustrated at this point and really am hoping someone can help. I attached a previous thread that seemed to be the same problem I am having. I have included pictures for reference. Any help is appreciated.

Oil the o-ring for sure like Rick said. Lining up the slot can take some finesse because of the helical-cut gear on the dizzy. You have to guess a bit where the blade on the dizzy shaft will be once it is seated as the gear will rotate it a bit when you push it in. If you even get it close, you should be able to feel it drop in if you keep downward pressure on the dizzy and slowly turn the crank on the engine back and forth.

Ok thanks. I did look in it last night and it looked pretty rough inside. I might try to pull it apart tonight if I get home in time. Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it. I may have to start off with the electronic one from my old F and then get this one cleaned up. I am just really hoping to be able to get the rig on the road for summer.

Looks like you may have a pertronix electronic in the small-cap dissy. Either dissy will work, but will be connected differently. Both of those distributors are very good. Make sure the vac advancer on the large dissy is working.

Not sure it was mentioned, but you have to have the rotor about 20* clockwise of the oil pump slot, then rotate the distributor shaft as the dissy gear meshes with the cam gear. It's easy to be a tooth off and takes some trial and error till it slides into the pump slot. Procedure is detailed well in the FSM, available as download in my sig line.

Ok, many thanks. The advice is great and once I put it all together I should be able to get this done. Fingers crossed. I will let everyone know how I made out when and if I am successful.

OK unrelated question, but what years of toyota distributors will work in a 2F? I would like to send off my big cap for a recurve soon but don't really want to park it. BUT! I have a few older, probably for an F, points-type distributors and am wondering if I could drop one of those in in the meantime?

You absolutely can use the points style Dizzy in a 2F.

The igniter won't be used tho and you will need a ballast resistor as well, so the wiring will be different.

OK cool. Looks like it's time to do some reading and figuring... Thanks Mace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom