Dizy question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can someone tell me if this is a Toyota dizy, it has been converted to an electronic type? I noticed that the vacuum advance (or retard) does not work; the rotating plate will not rotate with the petronix unit installed. The vacuum unit has two ports on, one is plugged and the other is hooked into the carb. I have bee unable to locate any marking on it I do know that a Toyota cap will fit but he rotor will not. I need suggestions on how to handle this, the truck runs great the way it is but perhaps better if I have a better dizy installed. Also I have an older dizy this is a Toyota part, can I install my pertonix unit into this dizy?

Later,
Corey

note the screw that has been worn down has been replaced with the correct counter sink screw, also there should be an adjustment nut on the vacuume advance rod.
DSC00656.jpg
DSC00658.jpg
DSC00662.jpg

more pics

Here are some more pics. The last one is the magnet that moves with the rotor, you can see how it got chewed up a bit hitting that screw. Could this be a Toyota Dizy?
:D
DSC00657.jpg
DSC00661.jpg
DSC00659.jpg

Both are toyota dissys.

First one is a 1977 2F Calif spec w/ vac advance and retard. Vacuum is currently connected to the retard fitting. Switch it to the advance fitting, if it can be made to work.

Second one is 1969-1972 USA points vac retard dissy. Place in recycling bin and walk away.

...., it has been converted to an electronic type? I noticed that the vacuum advance (or retard) does not work; the rotating plate will not rotate with the petronix unit installed.
Later,
Corey

That is the key right there. If the retainer screw is longer than need be to anchor the plate, it will hit the the plate below it, jam it, in which case it will not rotate any more. There is a beveled star washer that is included with the kits when new that should be used to avoid this problem. If you do not have one, you should be able to find one easily at your local hardware store.

Best

Mark A.

In the first photo you will notice a tab at the 1 o'clock and 7 o'clock position; those tabs are what seem to be keeping the base plate from moving. I am sure I can modify the petronx base plate so it does not interfere with the advancing diaphragm. This engine is a 74 F 1/2, can I tap vacuum from the carb for this type of dizy or do I need to have the carb drilled for vacuum?

Later, :cool:

Going back and looking at your first photo again, I can now see that this is the WRONG unit for this distributor.

If you look at the wear mark on the mounting plate for the pertronix, you will see that the hole in the plate is not concentric to the distributor shaft, nor is the wear mark.

This is also why the advancer diaphram had to be temprarily disconntected from the points plate to install the pertronix. The plate in the correct Pertronix kit is notched to clear the pin on the points plate that the diaphram attaches to.

Having the pertronix plate UNDER the attachment for the advancer may also be a cause of the advancer failing to move.

Best

Mark A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom