DIY York OBA Mount, Cheap & Easy ( On Board Air ) (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All

So I missed out on the last of the York OBA setups and after much communication it sounded like they were not coming back soon. I had already sourced a compressor and made up my mind to do an install. After several picture hunts on the great and powerful g@@gle, I found a pic with a 1FZ engine that I recall seeing years ago, it provided the reference I needed. I take no credit for the location or belt routing, I borrowed it fair and square

The cost (not including compressor, tank, etc) was < $50 and took a good afternoon including 2 trips to the local metal shop. I bought approx $20 worth of 1/4" steel, a $15 drive belt, and got busy with the welder. This is not as nice or refined as the kit that was sold, however it is far cheaper and very simple. By lining up the pulley with the A/C unit, the belt can be switched out for a longer belt (60" in my application). The belt clears the top of the water pump by over 1", and uses the already existing A/C tensioner. It is simply added to the A/C drive belt

*All 1/4" steel cut at metal shop for squareness, all drilling on drill press, all shaping with 4" grinder and cardboard templates by me
  1. 5Hx4W, for York pump mounting plate
  2. 3x3 shaped and drilled for front engine mount
  3. 3x3 shaped and drilled for rear engine mount
  4. 3Hx2.5W front standoff for front mount to York plate. This is the correct outward measurement to clear water pipe and keep York as tight to engine as needed to not interfere with water pump pulley
  5. 3x3 shaped and fitted to rear mount on head
STEPS:
  1. Drill and mount 5x4 York plate and attach, set aside
  2. Drill and shape front most engine mount (2 bolts) 3x3
  3. Drill, shape and attach rear engine mount (2 bolts) 3x3
  4. 3x2.5 piece runs vertical, perpendicular to front engine mount in step 2. Mount half way (approx, exact measurement to come) between front and rear bolts. This location allows access to all bolts in final position. Get vertical, and do a strong tack in place.
  5. Find someone who can do a ton of curls
  6. Have that person hold York with plate attached to align with belt grooves to crank and A/C, height also a consideration, you will need to close hood. Don't go TOO high. Have assistant (significant other) mark position for vertical and forward location. I drew a line on York plate along the stand-off (tacked in place on step 4), and a horizontal line to mark height.
  7. Remove assembly, align with the lines you made in step 6, strong tack together, remount, and verify position with rope on pulleys, make sure you clear water pump with rope fully seated, but not to much, as you will be to high to close hood.
  8. Remove again, Finish weld when correct. This alone can support the York for now
  9. Tack rear support into place once appropriately sized and shaped, This is approx a 45 degree standoff from rear engine plate, to York mounting plate
  10. Remove again, and finish weld
  11. Smooth booger welds, round edges and corners, prime, paint
This is really quite easy for anyone with a welder and a free afternoon. You really do need a second set of hands to hold and align the pulleys. I am at work now, but will work on measurements and more detailed pics in the next week.

IMG_20180413_125807204_LL.jpg

IMG_20180413_125821593_LL.jpg

IMG_20180413_125848681.jpg

IMG_20180413_125858555.jpg

Last edited:
reserved

My initial prototype wrapped around the bottom, This seems very strong in it's current configuration. I have made the same observation however, and have the same concern. I also noticed the treads get mangled easily, as I have one hole on the side that only threads in a few MM. A bottom plate could be easily added, the threads are much deeper, and it would add significant support. I plan to pull the unit 1 last time to angle the front support, as I don't care for the unnecessary square appearance. So I will update instructions accordingly

SO... I am humbled. I ran into a situation where this design works great and I was super happy, until I turned on the A/C. It was blowing warm so I popped the hood to find the A/C belt slipping on the compressor pulley, and the pulley crazy hot. The belt only makes contact on about 90 degrees of the pulley, vs 180 in stock form. It just could not generate enough bite to reliably spin the compressor. If I lived in a cold climate I would just run it, but, here in AZ that not an option. A few tweaks and same results. Just placed a pre-order with Joey, glad I got in before they disappeared. For those on the fence, I walked around my truck with the air hose and brought 4X 35" tires from 18 to 32 pounds in under 6 minutes total. I do have a tank in the rear. Once you use this you will understand there is absolutely no substitute. Endless air with you at all times.

Just saw your order and I was thinking, “uh oh...I thought he was making his own setup”. Sure enough you posted. Sorry about that. Yeah it sucks when you go thru all that and it’s not 100%. Frustrating.

Such a sweet setup...wish my 94 could run it in Cali...:frown:

Does the mount only support the York from 1 side (4 bolts) or does it wrap around the bottom?
I ask because the York housing is cast aluminum and is pretty soft.
I ran mine for 4 years bolted to only 1 side; and never had an issue. Beating and bouncing down trails and accidentally jumping some rifts at the Dunes a few times as well as some washboard roads and it held strong.

Last edited:
SO... I am humbled. I ran into a situation where this design works great and I was super happy, until I turned on the A/C. It was blowing warm so I popped the hood to find the A/C belt slipping on the compressor pulley, and the pulley crazy hot. The belt only makes contact on about 90 degrees of the pulley, vs 180 in stock form. It just could not generate enough bite to reliably spin the compressor. If I lived in a cold climate I would just run it, but, here in AZ that not an option. A few tweaks and same results. Just placed a pre-order with Joey, glad I got in before they disappeared. For those on the fence, I walked around my truck with the air hose and brought 4X 35" tires from 18 to 32 pounds in under 6 minutes total. I do have a tank in the rear. Once you use this you will understand there is absolutely no substitute. Endless air with you at all times.
It Takes some fiddling to get the belts lined up correctly, I added an adjustable idler pulley to my bracket when I built it. I went through 3 iterations before I was happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom