DIY wheel widening (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finally finished this wheel widening project. Had to take the wheels to a different powdercoater.

Super pleased with the results.
Top pic has factory suspension with longer shackles, stock 6” wide wagon wheels, and 31x10.5r15 BFG AT
Bottom pic is 2.5” OME shocks springs and shackles from Cruiser Outfitters, OEM Wagon wheels widened to 9” and 33x12.5r15 cooper stt pros.View attachment 2822426
That’s turned out fantastic. Did you get rid of the spacers?

That’s turned out fantastic. Did you get rid of the spacers?
I’m thinking the spacers will stay there until I get to the part of this project where I remove those fender flares and restore the rear wheel opening too close to original.

@firefighterjed What part of Idaho are you in? I saw a beautiful Mustard 40 heading East on I90 last Tuesday (10/19) just east of Coure D Alene.

I’m thinking the spacers will stay there until I get to the part of this project where I remove those fender flares and restore the rear wheel opening too close to original.
I think it would look better now without the spacers. Your tires stick out even at rear.

If you do any off road driving I would reconsider removing the flares. With stock wheel openings the tires will hit the body. It does look like the prior owner didn't follow the Bushwacker install instructions and mounted them a couple of inches higher. If you want to see where they should be mounted take a look at post #25 in this thread. For reference those are 33-12.5x15 on 10" rims with OME 2-1/2" lift. It is sitting at ride height as the jack stands are under the axles.

If you do any off road driving I would reconsider removing the flares. With stock wheel openings the tires will hit the body. It does look like the prior owner didn't follow the Bushwacker install instructions and mounted them a couple of inches higher. If you want to see where they should be mounted take a look at post #25 in this thread. For reference those are 33-12.5x15 on 10" rims with OME 2-1/2" lift. It is sitting at ride height as the jack stands are under the axles.
I’m Not going entirely back to stock opening. It will be the same angles as the stock opening, but large enough to clear these tires. At a glance it will look OEM, but won’t rub. 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom