DIY Trail Turn Assist (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everybody, I am in the market for a land cruiser 100, and I'm already thinking about modifications. One of the first ones I think would be cool to do is to do a turn assist modification, so that the Cruiser would be like a 200 series. I am thinking that installing a hydraulic hand brake could work, and using it to apply the brake to the right rear or left rear tire as I'm turning. Has anybody had experience with hydraulic hand brakes? Would I need one or two master cylinder hand brake for that, and would that mess with the A-trac system?
Thanks

I’ve always wondered what that button did in the 200!

In a 100, which has a mechanical hand brake, you could mount two levers and run a separate cable to each side. Better and more durable than the original setup.

I don't think atrac would be very happy with that. One tire stopped while the rest are not would seem like it would try to stop the spinning(opposite) wheel. could always install a trac off switch.

The 200 uses turn assist in collaboration with its crawl control. It modulates the inside rear corner braking in a way that causes the rear to drag while the front pulls itself around. If you were to hold down a corner and drive around it would likely have a somewhat similar effect but is cutting your traction down significantly. I can't think of any switchback where I would be comfortable with having a tire "slide" intentionally.

There is no way I'd invest time or energy into adding individual hand brakes to each side of the vehicle. A $50 back-up camera and adding a single point to your turn can cut your turn radius massively, is more controlled, and you're not mechanically modifying anything that can later break.

I've had several Toyotas with Crawl Control. It is fine for extricating yourself from sand or mud or whatever, but if you are off-road and using it to transit an obstacle you learm to hate it. It's miserable.

I've been on trail with a 200 with turn assist on and they were so frustrated by Crawl Control jerking them around that they stopped using it almost immediately. They just reversed once and cut the corner.

Last edited:
The 200 uses turn assist in collaboration with its crawl control. It modulates the inside rear corner braking in a way that causes the rear to drag while the front pulls itself around. If you were to hold down a corner and drive around it would likely have a somewhat similar effect but is cutting your traction down significantly. I can't think of any switchback where I would be comfortable with having a tire "slide" intentionally.

There is no way I'd invest time or energy into adding individual hand brakes to each side of the vehicle. A $50 back-up camera and adding a single point to your turn can cut your turn radius massively, is more controlled, and requires no aftermarket modification.

I've had several Toyotas with Crawl Control. It is fine for extricating yourself from sand or mud or whatever, but if you are off-road and using it to transit an obstacle you learm to hate it. It's miserable.

I've been on trail with a 200 with turn assist on and they were so frustrated by Crawl Control jerking them around that they stopped using it almost immediately. They just reversed once and cut the corner.

You mean you don't just put in 1st gear/low range and mash the gas to do a hurricane-style turn inside the wheelbase?

The hurricane turn setting is only for '98's and 99's - it happens on tight turns with the rear locker.
This. A rear locker only, preferably on a forward incline to ease up the load on rear and put slight left foot pressure on your brakes to lock up front. A tap on the skinny pedal would produce rotation around front wheels. Freaking awesome when you get it right!

The hydraulic handbrakes is what we use on auto cross and drifting, but that engages the brake for the left and right rear wheels at the same time. Now in order to make it work (on a hydraulic perspective, you must put not one but two hydraulic brake system for each left and right wheels, so that’s two levers for the rear.

The URJ200/Lx570 turn assist is computer-controlled and executed by the individual brake calipers of the rear wheels thru the rear solid axle via the ABS system. But whatever the final build would be, that’s hella interesting.

Just wait three years and do an even swap with someone for their 200-series, given the trends for prices.

Feature obtained, properly engineered and executed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom