DIY Stereo Upgrade for us Stuck with the Stock System (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think I just had really high expectations that the Fix would “fix” 100% of the static noise, especially for the price. So once I was heard the static noise after they did the install and tune, it didn’t matter how much they fine tuned it because it was still there, even though it was very slight. It’s just something people should know if they want to take on this same project.
Also, I only had the Fix for about a week but man I couldn’t get used to that control knob. I didn’t really like it at all.
I thought it looked cool, I just couldn’t get used to it.

Yeah, the FiX works great for me, I guess results may vary. I'd be interested to see if anyone else is using it and what they think.

So if we’re advocating as a forum (and yes you’re install turned out very nice aesthetically) reality is no adjustment is going to beat the science of sound and signal interference.

The buzz Could be a connection, could be the stock deck, too many things to expensively troubleshoot for marginal correction(lessening the buzz vs eliminating it). For 200$ (Or less) and a 25 cent resistor youll get night and day better signal, blue tooth which you can hear directions from Waze or whatever app, and you have total ease to connect aftermarket amps. Oops, also forgot your wife,girlfriend,sidechick, or tinder date will also stop heckling you for having a tape deck and disc changer in what we likely consider one of our favorite possessions besides our kids and family. (C’mon, don’t hide it)

Fix came out in the last five years or so which means while they say it will work, jl audio gave fewer s***s about it integrating with a nearly 12-20 Year old car.

Yeah, the FiX works great for me, I guess results may vary. I'd be interested to see if anyone else is using it and what they think.
Almost 2 years later. How is this working out? What does the JL knob do for your system? Does it control just the FIX86 or do all the volume adjustments have to be done through this knob?

Still running the same system and it has been great! The JL knob changes the volume of the stereo post processing of the signal and frequency flattening from the fix. You can still use the volume knob on the dashboard controls but apparently the fix is outputting it’s best signal when the head unit volume is set at the ref volume you ran the setup in. Can I tell a difference if I use the volume control on dash vs the JL knob? Not really, but I’m sure someone could depending on your application. I use the JL knob primarily to quickly adjust the bass as it has two dials, one for vol and one for the sub. Only change I’ve made is I built a new cargo drawer system where the back 6 inches are the sub enclosure.

Around the time I did all this was the same year that the community finally cracked the code on putting in an aftermarket head unit and the international version of the climate control buttons. If you just simply want a more powerful stereo I think this is option here is still a great path but if you want a new interface like Apple CarPlay or something and a more powerful stereo I think going the aftermarket head unit route is the way to go. Last I checked VLines are over 600 dollars!!!

Still running the same system and it has been great! The JL knob changes the volume of the stereo post processing of the signal and frequency flattening from the fix. You can still use the volume knob on the dashboard controls but apparently the fix is outputting it’s best signal when the head unit volume is set at the ref volume you ran the setup in. Can I tell a difference if I use the volume control on dash vs the JL knob? Not really, but I’m sure someone could depending on your application. I use the JL knob primarily to quickly adjust the bass as it has two dials, one for vol and one for the sub. Only change I’ve made is I built a new cargo drawer system where the back 6 inches are the sub enclosure.

Around the time I did all this was the same year that the community finally cracked the code on putting in an aftermarket head unit and the international version of the climate control buttons. If you just simply want a more powerful stereo I think this is option here is still a great path but if you want a new interface like Apple CarPlay or something and a more powerful stereo I think going the aftermarket head unit route is the way to go. Last I checked VLines are over 600 dollars!!!
Thanks for the reply. I just picked up the Vline in a group buy. It works as well as an generic android head unit but the touch interface is at the mercy of the early 2000 touch screen technology.

Thanks for the reply. I just picked up the Vline in a group buy. It works as well as an generic android head unit but the touch interface is at the mercy of the early 2000 touch screen technology.
Yeah that old touch screen is painful...honestly though I'm just impressed something like the VLine is even able to integrate with this old system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom