DIY: Seat belt refresh (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is a really nice use of time. It's taken about two decades off part of my driving experience and it makes me smile every time I get in and out of the 80.

Previously, the drivers belt in particular had to be tucked back into the car before shutting the door. It was getting annoying and I saw one YouTube video that gave me hope.

So I removed the belt from the vehicle. Pulled out the length and clamped off at the mechanism. Soaked in very hot water; soaked in very hot water with Simple Green; scrubbed both sides of the belt and rinsed with very hot water. Since I prefer the smell of my laundry detergent I soaked it with that in very hot water and then scrubbed both sides again. Rinse. Soaked with fabric softener because part of the solution is a very flexible belt. Rinsed twice and dried over night.

Once completely dry I sprayed the length of the belt (both sides) with dry silicon lubricant (the video trick that may work by itself); spooled; unspooled and sprayed a bit more. Done.

It's like 1997 every time putting on the belt. It may actually increase safety since the belt moves effortlessly with your body; I think any slack wouldn't be good if the belt had to do it's thing. So worthwhile.

This is a really nice use of time. It's taken about two decades off part of my driving experience and it makes me smile every time I get in and out of the 80.

Previously, the drivers belt in particular had to be tucked back into the car before shutting the door. It was getting annoying and I saw one YouTube video that gave me hope.

So I removed the belt from the vehicle. Pulled out the length and clamped off at the mechanism. Soaked in very hot water; soaked in very hot water with Simple Green; scrubbed both sides of the belt and rinsed with very hot water. Since I prefer the smell of my laundry detergent I soaked it with that in very hot water and then scrubbed both sides again. Rinse. Soaked with fabric softener because part of the solution is a very flexible belt. Rinsed twice and dried over night.

Once completely dry I sprayed the length of the belt (both sides) with dry silicon lubricant (the video trick that may work by itself); spooled; unspooled and sprayed a bit more. Done.

It's like 1997 every time putting on the belt. It may actually increase safety since the belt moves effortlessly with your body; I think any slack wouldn't be good if the belt had to do it's thing. So worthwhile.

I need to do that with mine.

I forgot to take the time to wash it when I swapped in a new (used) passenger side belt to replace my heavily worn belt.

I need to do that with mine.

I forgot to take the time to wash it when I swapped in a new (used) passenger side belt to replace my heavily worn belt.
Passenger side will bolt into the driver side? I don’t care about my passenger that is not there very often anyways...

Passenger side will bolt into the driver side? I don’t care about my passenger that is not there very often anyways...
It won't bolt in.

You pull the webbing from the passenger side and install it on the driver's side retractor.

Have to turn it 3 extra turns because PS is about 9" longer than DS.

It won't bolt in.

You pull the webbing from the passenger side and install it on the driver's side retractor.

Thanks. I pulled one of my 3rd row belts in hops to tackling it by using the 3rd row belt as many have done. I’ll have to get geared up for that. the cold is making the belt way worst.

I'd love to see a video if you ever get a chance

It won't bolt in.

Are we talking about the front seatbelts here? Because I switched mine over just last week, took the drivers belt, retractor reel and all, and moved it to passenger side, and vice versa. They went right on and bolted into place, and are working just fine like they are supposed to.

Are we talking about the front seatbelts here? Because I switched mine over just last week, took the drivers belt, retractor reel and all, and moved it to passenger side, and vice versa. They went right on and bolted into place, and are working just fine like they are supposed to.
Are they looking up under hard braking? Because they have weights in them that swing to lock and usually each retractor is location specific.

Thanks. I pulled one of my 3rd row belts in hops to tackling it by using the 3rd row belt as many have done. I’ll have to get geared up for that. the cold is making the belt way worst.
The third row webbing will also work, but the belt is about 6" SHORTER. I actually did this first, but due to my svelte frame, I couldn't reach the glove box before the belt was fully extended.

I have to tuck the belt everytime I get out of the truck. Otherwise when I close the door a foot long loop of seatbelt is sticking out underneath.

Where did you get the dry lubricant?

I have to tuck the belt everytime I get out of the truck. Otherwise when I close the door a foot long loop of seatbelt is sticking out underneath.

Where did you get the dry lubricant?

Any silicone spray will do. I think I used a PB Blaster product from Lowes or Home Depot. However I wouldn't suggest skipping the cleaning.

I initially pulled my 3rd row belts from the shed but my driver's belt webbing was in very good shape and I didn't like the safety risk involved in disassembling seat belt mechanisms to swap webbing. Cleaning with detergent and brush and re-lubing involved less risk (where there should be no chance of risk) and they are as good as new.

Just drove again; took my belt of and it slammed back into the B-pillar: so awesome!

(it's the small things)....

... Soaked in very hot water; soaked in very hot water with Simple Green; scrubbed both sides of the belt and rinsed with very hot water. Since I prefer the smell of my laundry detergent I soaked it with that in very hot water and then scrubbed both sides again. Rinse. Soaked with fabric softener because part of the solution is a very flexible belt. Rinsed twice and dried over night.

Sounds like work, I just toss them in the machine with a load of towels or jeans, works great!

I soaked/scrubbed Belt in Hottest Tap water and Simple Green.
The color of the water was straight filthy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom