DIY LRA Fuel Tank Install - Bananna Rating? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

From a 1-5 banana job, I'd say this is in the 4 banana range.

I forget if you have rear armor? That may need to come off to get the tank in place, making this a pain in the banana job.

If I may, I believe the 40 gallon is overkill with sloshing and fuel weight concerns. 25 is the Goldilocks size IMO.

the combo water/fuel tanks are an interesting option I haven't seen deployed yet on this board

If I may, I believe the 40 gallon is overkill with sloshing and fuel weight concerns. 25 is the Goldilocks size IMO.

Yeah, that's my other dilemma. 40 gallons is A LOT of fuel and weight and I go back and forth depending on which time of day you ask me. Is the sloshing really a problem though? Seems like it wouldn't be an issue since its mounted so low.

Yeah, that's my other dilemma. 40 gallons is A LOT of fuel and weight and I go back and forth depending on which time of day you ask me. Is the sloshing really a problem though? Seems like it wouldn't be an issue since its mounted so low.
250 pounds of gas vs the range you gain makes the weight worth it to me. We will tow in this vehicle and plan on some real remote locations and I’d rather carry water instead of fuel in jerry cans. The sloshing though...I never considered this.

I recall some remarks from others with the 40 about the change in handling with the added fuel weight. And keeping it partially full invited sloshing.

Personally, as one that does long trips towing a large travel trailer, I find the 12.5 already brings huge convenience. The tank itself weighs a good amount too. 500++ range not towing, 325 towing, ~160lbs. A 25 gallon tank would put that to 700 and 475, ~250lbs. 40 gallon is 925 and 625, ~350lbs. Is the point about convenience, or never getting gas? At the trade of carrying a ton of gas that compromises performance,handling, and payload capacity?

For the sake of discussion, there was another thread talking about gas tank safety. The 40 hangs lower and is more exposed to rear end collisions. Combine that with a lifted rig where the impacting vehicle is likely submarining right at the gas tank. Then consider the amount of potentially flammable fuel or vapors onboard.

It's all for the individual to decide of course depending on how they use their vehicle.

Last edited:
I recall some remarks from others with the 40 about the change in handling with the added fuel weight. And keeping it partially full invited sloshing.

Personally, as one that does long trips towing a large travel trailer, I find the 12.5 already brings huge convenience. 500++ range not towing, 325 towing, ~160lbs. A 25 gallon tank would put that to 700 and 475, ~250lbs. 40 gallon is 925 and 625, ~350lbs. Is the point about convenience, or never getting gas? At the trade of carrying a ton of gas that compromises performance,handling, and payload capacity?

For the sake of discussion, there was another thread talking about gas tank safety. The 40 hangs lower and is more exposed to rear end collisions. Combine that with a lifted rig where the impacting vehicle is likely submarining right at the gas tank. Then consider the amount of potentially flammable fuel or vapors onboard.

It's all for the individual to decide of course depending on how they use their vehicle.
For us, choosing the 40 made sense because we figured it would be handy when we needed the range, otherwise we could leave it empty. I figured the safety aspect would be similar across the three available sizes so why not go big, and we don’t have to fill it completely every time we want to use it. As far as cargo capacity, it we didn’t tow we would have gone smaller. Our camper carries all our food, clothes, bedding, and other stuff so for the weight of the tongue we can carry far more than the actual weight...however, that comes at a cost and that’s the towing MPG. All that being said I do not want to have a ford pinto event either.

the combo water/fuel tanks are an interesting option I haven't seen deployed yet on this board
who makes these combo tanks? Didn't see them on LRA site.

I installed my 40 by myself. It wasn't hard. In fact, I think it was easier than the job I just completed of changing out the rear springs and adding air bags.
No sloshing that I have felt at all, and I usually add 20 gallons to the aux at each fill up.
I drive pretty spirited and keep traction control always off. I have never noticed fuel weight shift suddenly in a turn.
I was going to buy the 24, but only the 40 was in stock at the time.
I love being able to 30 gallons in it and drive from Florida to the NC mountains, with no stops for fuel.
I upgraded to a heavy spring + air bag because I have a rear bumper with tire swing out and I load 3 kids (2 of them big teen boys), a 145lb great dane, and all of our luggage.

I installed my 40 by myself. It wasn't hard. In fact, I think it was easier than the job I just completed of changing out the rear springs and adding air bags.
No sloshing that I have felt at all, and I usually add 20 gallons to the aux at each fill up.
I drive pretty spirited and keep traction control always off. I have never noticed fuel weight shift suddenly in a turn.
I love being able to 30 gallons in it and drive from Florida to the NC mountains, with no stops for fuel.
I upgraded to a heavy spring + air bag because I have a rear bumper with tire swing out and I load 3 kids (2 of them big teen boys), a 145lb great dane, and all of our luggage.
Would you mind posting a picture from behind your vehicle to show how this tank looks? Good to know about how it rides for you. We’re doing bags and springs as well so sounds like we won’t run into any issues with shifting weight. Have you ever encountered any clearance issues with yours?

Interesting that you think the job is easier than springs and airbags? I can do springs in 1 hr with minimal tools and consider that a 2 banana job (oil changes 1 banana). The aux tank is not hard necessarily but it's an 8 hr multi-disciplinary job crossing fuel, electrical, cut body brackets, drill dash, rivnut frame, hoisting a large component in place, with u-bolts and lollipop bolts. Is it that the spring/airbag job is not as well documented? Of course you're welcome to your opinion. I just didn't want to minimize this tank job and surprise anyone as it's a longer process.

Last edited:
Would you mind posting a picture from behind your vehicle to show how this tank looks? Good to know about how it rides for you. We’re doing bags and springs as well so sounds like we won’t run into any issues with shifting weight. Have you ever encountered any clearance issues with yours?
Their bumper might make pictures from them less useful for you. There are plenty of pics of the 40gal tank on 200s online.. do some digging in google images. It does hang down on a 200 with stock bumper.

Their bumper might make pictures from them less useful for you. There are plenty of pics of the 40gal tank on 200s online.. do some digging in google images. It does hang down on a 200 with stock bumper.
I have looked and seen. I was asking about theirs specifically as they have a swing out bumper and I have one on order.

edit to add I dig through their post history and found a suitable image. I’m new here and didn’t know each profile had a link for their posted media.

Last edited:
I did 40 gallon tank install at home and also added armor to it. Depending on your skills, bananas range will vary . For me it was an easy job. I am now running toughdog tour flex heavy springs to match extra weight. I am impressed with their ride quality. I had OME 2723 and they were stiff. Instructions that come with kit are good. Any questions regarding install contact Valley hybrids. Good luck.

Interesting that you think the job is easier than springs and airbags? I can do springs in 1 hr with minimal tools and consider that a 2 banana job (oil changes 1 banana). The aux tank is not hard necessarily but it's an 8 hr multi-disciplinary job crossing fuel, electrical, cut body brackets, drill dash, rivnut frame, hoisting a large component in place, with u-bolts and lollipop bolts. Is it that the spring/airbag job is not as well documented? Of course you're welcome to your opinion. I just didn't want to minimize this tank job and surprise anyone as it's a longer process.
I will say that the tank install took MUCH longer than the spring swap and air bags.
Your step by step process helped fill in the gaps on the poorly written and sometimes wrong kit instructions. Thank you!!
It was less back breaking work putting the tank in. I took my time and used a floor jack to lift the tank into place.
On the spring swap, I fought the passenger rear shock that would not come off of the lower mount and had to use a spring compressor to get the new one in. :nailbiting:
HD springs compressed all the way, being inserted at face level is a prayerful event.

There were no rivnuts in my install...

My comments would be the same as TERDRocket , it was not a hard job, and comes with good directions.

I think I got one of the first ones and put it in with a friend. It was not hard to do at all. If you can wire an offroad light, and read directions. A friend helps as the tank is heavy so friend and a floor jack, or two floor jacks.

I have never had shifting weight issues, or clearance issues.

The tank does sit straight my phone was angled.

It comes down to just about the same height as the resonator.

I do some mild rock crawling, plenty of off road, then overlanding, some towing, some long trips.

Hard core offroad I'd get the 24, and if you need your spare under the truck the 12.

I had to wait a little for mine once it was ordered. Sometime they have them in stock, but most of the time you need to order and wait.

IMG_20200731_143005.jpg

IMG_20200731_143013.jpg

My comments would be the same as TERDRocket , it was not a hard job, and comes with good directions.

I think I got one of the first ones and put it in with a friend. It was not hard to do at all. If you can wire an offroad light, and read directions. A friend helps as the tank is heavy so friend and a floor jack, or two floor jacks.

I have never had shifting weight issues, or clearance issues.

The tank does sit straight my phone was angled.

It comes down to just about the same height as the resonator.

I do some mild rock crawling, plenty of off road, then overlanding, some towing, some long trips.

Hard core offroad I'd get the 24, and if you need your spare under the truck the 12.

I had to wait a little for mine once it was ordered. Sometime they have them in stock, but most of the time you need to order and wait.

View attachment 2389263

View attachment 2389274
Thanks for posting and the other info, this is extremely helpful for me. It sounds like our needs and uses are quite similar. Greatly appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom