DIY LiFePO4 battery install under ARB drawer wing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

^ thanks for posting!

Will just released a review video of the SmartShunt today.

I have no exp with braided cell links but have been thinking about them for a mobile app, seems high current are not really available, I charge at 120A. Makes me wonder if sticky tape or hose clamps do just as good job as those large compression setups. Compression gives higher cycle life but the environment is harsh so I don't think compression is needed.

Figure I should update this thread now that everything is installed.

Battery installed. I move the disconnect switch to the positive side and moved it to the front of the drawer. I also changed the negative wire from the BMS to Shunt to a 4awg and proper black color.

Hard to tell, but I still have access to the AC plug (barely).
IMAG5294.jpg

IMAG5295.jpg

IMAG5296.jpg

Front of battery showing class T fuse and Victron Smart Shunt.

IMAG5297.jpg

Not blocking AC vent, about 1.5" clearance.

IMAG5303.jpg

Power distribution center in front of DS drawer. Everything is consolidated to the DS as I wanted to leave the PS open in case I wanted to re-install the 3rd row seat.

IMAG5304.jpg

IMAG5308.jpg

IMAG5306.jpg

IMAG5305.jpg

IMAG5312.jpg

IMAG5311.jpg

Barely fits. I did have to move the seat up one notch.
IMAG5314.jpg

IMAG5309.jpg

Schematic. MPPT charger not installed but will go where the radio is now. I doubt I will use PV at this point, the DC-DC works well.
IMAG5035 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Two CB mounted near the starter battery.
24029.jpeg

2awg wire wrapped in Tesa 51036 harness tape runs along the DS frame rail and through the grommets into the cargo area.

IMAG5321.jpg

IMAG5322.jpg

IMAG5317.jpg

IMAG5316.jpg

Last edited:
up into the cargo area interior

24028.jpeg

24027.jpeg

Main radio shoehorned behind panel. Tight fit but works great.

24025.jpeg

Another fuse distribution under PS dash fed from starter battery.

IMAG5324.jpg

Last edited:
How do you like the Orion? Do you find 18A max charge is enough for your use?

How do you like the Orion? Do you find 18A max charge is enough for your use?

I actually really like it so far. Easy to connect with bluetooth, easy to configure. It seems to do what it is supposed to. Used the same program to interface with the Smart Shunt, which I also like.

18A is on the small side for a 210Ah battery for sure, but hasn't been an issue yet. I generally drive some every day so the charger puts back what I used the day/night before, and more. The 30A is probably better suited for my battery capacity, but is quite a bit more expensive and I understand it may have overheating issues.

Last edited:
Super nice job on the install.

Sorry if this is a repeat question, but which cells are those and where'd you get them?

Super nice job on the install.

Sorry if this is a repeat question, but which cells are those and where'd you get them?

Thanks!

I am using EVE LF105 cells. Spec sheet is in post 5 of this thread.

This kind of Fortune 100ah LiFePO4 Battery cell has holders and plastic covers, you can connect each battery cells easily and the gap between each battery cell is well controlled to help the battery heat dissipationView attachment 2717823View attachment 2717824

The fortune cells are nice from what I've seen online, but they're considerably more expensive per cell. I built one on the cheap as an experiment and bought all 4 100ah cells for about the price of a single fortune cell. They weren't grade A, but that wasn't what I needed. I'd love to get some for my next project.

The fortune cells are nice from what I've seen online, but they're considerably more expensive per cell. I built one on the cheap as an experiment and bought all 4 100ah cells for about the price of a single fortune cell. They weren't grade A, but that wasn't what I needed. I'd love to get some for my next project.

The fortune cells I used from overkill solar were $155 each. Alibaba shows EVE LF105 for about $70 each. Where and how cheap did you get your cells?

Fortune cells are nice and I considered them. Unfortunately the 100Ah cells were too large for my space. The 60Ah cells would fit, but only 4 of them.

You can also get them here in the USA (in addition to overkillsolar):

They are made by Frey and you can get them cheaper direct from China.

The fortune cells I used from overkill solar were $155 each. Alibaba shows EVE LF105 for about $70 each. Where and how cheap did you get your cells?

I purchased 4 100ah Littokala cells off AliExpress for $170. These were clearly not grade a cells. As I said, these were basically just an experiment for a bigger system in the future. I'll probably get some 280ah cells from a reputable distributor at some point in the future.

I purchased 4 100ah Littokala cells off AliExpress for $170. These were clearly not grade a cells. As I said, these were basically just an experiment for a bigger system in the future. I'll probably get some 280ah cells from a reputable distributor at some point in the future.

Shipped? If so that's a great price. I paid about double that for mine, but the seller was local and I was able to test them first.

Shipped? If so that's a great price. I paid about double that for mine, but the seller was local and I was able to test them first.
Free shipping. Batteries were $166, with tax $180.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom